This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Iain (32SIG)

1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Cheers Walrus - lap is the only space I had left. Tidy up today methinks!

A bit of progress this morning - off to do some DIY in a mo - but managed to get some resin poured into the rear of the fuselage:

156ju52024.JPG

And make a start on sanding the underside - and hopefully now you can see why I'm pouring the resin - the draw on the underside means that the plastic was less than 5 thou thick - the sanding very quickly goes through this:

156ju52025.JPG

Once smooth I'll attack with 'thin' superglue to get into all the voids etc, sand again, then skim with filler - probably Isopon.

This area will eventually be skinned with more corrugated sheet.

Have fun...

Iain

good news with the books Iain , the plastic sheet is a great result too . you're winning ! :lol: the photo of the sight is a big help as i was going for something like this sight.gif

That's ace Blimp! :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Oh dear!

Early in the build I had problems with resin not curing - well - as I've been sanding the underside I've found areas of 'goo' where the bad resin has sat in nooks and crannies and attacked the surrounding styrene...

Oh - and last nights Milliput refused to cure - a very old box and the stuff was going a little hard. New box methinks.

Nothing for it but to cut out the cancer...

156ju52028.JPG

This, second, area the plastic has not bonded and a void hides underneath. Simple - cut away skin and repair.

156ju52027.JPG

Looks worse than it is...

Tomorrow I'll make small dams with tape and fill with more resin...

Ho hum :deadhorse:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Iain , i've noticed your love of resin . are you a milliionare or summat ? :nuke:- have you tried the tube epoxies ( araldites) the pound shop does 'em .they don't get 'hot' they are messy , true , but are useful for thin panelwork . - sorry , i'm a victim of baccus tonight . time for the sack . dux tomorrow .

Edited by blimp

Don't usually use casting resin like this - but it's the ideal medium for the job and not too pricey...

Plus it penetrates voids and self levels - so now heading for a point where I have a solid base upon which to build.

BTW - Am using Sylmaster BiResin G27.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - today's update...

And, er, yes - more resin! ;)

Pondering on filling the holes in the fuselage underside with resin and it suddenly dawned on me that I could kill two birds with one stone and get rid of the concave area under the front fuselage at the same time - if I made a mould!

So root around for something the resin won't stick to - first thought printers aluminium litho sheet - but didn't have any immediately to hand.

OK - Have a coffee and think about it. Eureka - emptied the plastic milk container and realised it was made out of a plastic that wouldn't stick to the resin.

So - out with the scissors and masking tape to make an in-situ mould:

156ju52030.JPG

156ju52029.JPG

The plastic was pulled tight over the base of the fuselage - with additional tape being used down the sides to ensure no embarrassing leaks when I poured the resin in via the cockpit side of the hole:

156ju52032.JPG

Here's the new resin 'floor' going off...

156ju52033.JPG

And view from underside - it's filled the mould!

156ju52034.JPG

Bit of spare resin? Ah - backs of the seats need filling in:

156ju52035.JPG

Ant the other big hole - on a separate pour:

156ju52036.JPG

Back in a mo...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Ok - a short while later (another useful property of the resin is it's fast curing time) - and we're ready to peel everything away:

156ju52038.JPG

156ju52039.JPG

Looking good! A small amount of resin where I don't want it - but easily sanded...

So - first pass sand with the sanding bar and 180 grit wet and dry - used wet - starting to get nice and flat now:

156ju52041.JPG

Followed by a smear of Revell Tube Putty:

156ju52044.JPG

Next step in my plan for resin domination - the faces of the wing roots need truing up and the plastic is, again, fairly thin - easy - fill with resin - one side at a time:

156ju52042.JPG

156ju52043.JPG

Followed by the floor to ensure the width is maintained and nothing distorts:

156ju52046.JPG

This is now a very solid base structure. Will give the Revell putty a few days to harden and sand off - then get the sanding bar on those wing root faces to true everything up.

More developments next time :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Cheers Walrus,

Yes - a little head scratching when I found the damage - but she's on track at the moment.

Blimps just fed me some detail photo's and I recon we'll be adding internal bulkheads and detail next weekend! :partytime:

Have fun!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

- white coat quick ! :devil:1187985.jpg

Edited by blimp

Good find Blimp - that's the clearest image of the interior structure I've seen - and helps hugely!

Now - how can I replicate that blue carpet... :whistle:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

great job on what looks like a very difficult build.

Well done.

Kind regards,

Rob

Impressive stuff. I wouldn't have thought of using resin like that. Should be a little (big!) cracker this.

Iain,

Geez !! You have done a FABULOUS job o this so far....BRILLIANT..!!! :cowboy::pilot:

Then you go and put the Link for the movie...One of the best and GREATEST movie that I have seen

and like you WHERE EAGLES DARE is MY favorites and when I saw that you were making htis

thought I had seen it in a movie but wa unsure...NOW I know where I had seen it.... :thumbsup:

and finally the Bkue CARPET ..I think you should cut a piece out of those Plain blue Computer Mouse Mats.... :evil_laugh:

HOUSTON.... :heart:

Hi again folks - thanks once again for the kind words and in supporting the build - this ain't gonna beat me!

OK - my birthday today - so abbreviated modelling session as I'm off to crack open a bottle shortly...

Had an hour of daylight after putting my two year old to bed - so out with the sanding bar, a foam sanding block and some 600 grit wet and dry - and I think we're getting there!

156ju52059.JPG

156ju52061.JPG

156ju52062.JPG

Wing roots have been trued up (close enough for government work) and the underside almost as smooth as a baby's behind. A little more fettling - then a coat of primer and I'll mark out the opening to the floor for the gunner/bomb aimer.

More over the weekend.

Houston - glad you liked the clip - I thought it might be appreciated - a pretty cool opening sequence...

Oh - and joking aside - it does look from the period photos in earlier post that there is, indeed, a carpet! I doubt it's bright blue though ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

No time for burfday shelebrashuns hic

well okay then since it is only once a year

unless you are the queen

don't drink too much though we need you without a hangover tomorrow to get back to work on the Ju52 :lol:

oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Iain!!

Edited by walrus

I thank ewe Walrus :beer:

Blimp is turning into this projects equivalent of a crack dealer and supplied some more info on the bomb cells - so hope to make a start on those shortly.

At some point he'll cut off my supply of new details and I'll go cold turkey on everyone... ;)

Iain

:lol: don't worry Iain , i reckon you've got enough on your plate for now . oh , HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! have a good 'un . :cheers:

:hbd: Iain... now GET back to that bench! :fight:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ...well you kept that quiet...Have I missed the drinks..Oh DARN it...in that case better have a look -see at the model...

Oh that looks good !!!

HOUSTON :wow::hbd::pilot:

Edited by Houston

Thanks folks <hic>

Actuerly - glass in hand - I have been at the bench on and off - and fondling the Revell 1:48 kit for inspiration.

Another void filled (with superglue) and some of the nose vents opened up.

I think tomorrow has to be bulkheads (rough shapes) and wing spars. Then it should start to build from there....

Have to say though - it's a bit of a strong assembly now! :)

Right - off for my hot chocolate - I really know how to live! ;)

Iain

- iain , i've wrangled an 'old' camera from A380 - now i have a decent tool for the job :yahoo: so i can do some updates when i find out how irt works ! (hic) .

Edited by blimp