1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Iain Ogilvie

Hmmm...

I know not of the hatch of which you speak...

<scratches head>

Suspect you are right re. sprung doors - I haven't yet found a pic of open doors...

Need a good googling methinks! ;)

Also - I have some good Ju-52 books I've amassed - will see what wisdom they spout forth ;)

Have FUN! :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

- sorry Iain , the hatch i was refering to is the one by the 'ladder' in the earlier photo posts .ju52003-1.jpg

this one -ju52004-1.jpgthe 'cut out' went a little further back , to accept the stowed dustbin ,

just visible here ju52_0-1.jpg

Edited by blimp

i just noticed the profiles #8 + #9 don't have painted windows ! - if accurate , some colour schemes that wont obliterate my hard graft ! :P

i always fancied an ex DHL/bombschule plane .

i just noticed the profiles #8 + #9 don't have painted windows ! - if accurate , some colour schemes that wont obliterate my hard graft ! :P
i always fancied an ex DHL/bombschule plane .

Well spotted! Hadn't noticed that!

Another item for me to research - now - where did I put those bl**dy books (and, no Walrus, they're not where the sanding bar was!) :)

If I can find some pics I'll let you know...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

BTW - Just re-read your comment about the floor hatch - I take it you realise that is the top of the cut out mentioned on the sketch immediately behind the bomb aiming fairing and above the dustbin?

Iain

- i'll have to brush up on the underfloor structure now :banghead: - i wonder what state the casa at duxford is in , i've got my ticket for this weekend . . . . :rolleyes::photo: yay!

Engines and undercarriage I guess...

The sorta stuff that doesn't normally get captured for posterity...

Anything helps! :)

Still looking for those books - will report when I find 'em.

Iain

no problem Iain , BTW the engines on the scw machines didn't have aircleaners , and wore out rapidly in dusty conditions . this was corrected on later aircraft . ( the initial airlift of francos troops from morroco reduced the contingent to only four servicable aircraft ! )

no problem Iain , BTW the engines on the scw machines didn't have aircleaners , and wore out rapidly in dusty conditions . this was corrected on later aircraft . ( the initial airlift of francos troops from morroco reduced the contingent to only four servicable aircraft ! )

Blimp - I'm really glad you're part of this madness - I'm learning some great stuff - hadn't spotted lack of aircleaners yet - I *really* owe you that beer - Telford? :)

Iain

Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimp!

I found my books! :yahoo:

• Model Fan Encyclopaedia No 4 - Junkers Ju 52
  • AirDOC 01 - Junkers Ju 52/3m
  • Schiffer Military History - Junkers Ju 52
  • Squadron Signal In Action 186 - Junkers Ju 52
  • Luftwaffe at War - Junkers Ju 52 The Luftwaffe Workhorse

And one has got a bit of a piccie of the bomb sight - will scan...

Now - off to bed with a hot chocolate for a serious coat of looking at! ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Hmmm - also found my stash of SM-79 books - fighting the urge to dig out the ID Vac in the loft...

<must not be sidetracked>

Anyone got a straitjacket I could borrow? :banghead:

Brilliant photos there Blimp - good find!

To sidetrack slightly - this film sowed the seeds of interest in the Ju 52 at an early age - Where Eagles Dare:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

And some nice flying shots of a restored airliner

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Hi all...

Well - looks like I've found my mojo on this project - feeling really inspired - just need to keep the momentum going now - and having this thread running is a bit of a monster in that now I feel duty bound to feed it! :deadhorse:

First off - as stated - found my books during the week - something that helps no end:

156ju52007.JPG

And there are some excellent line drawings:

156ju52008.JPG

And a book I'd forgotten I had!

156ju52010.JPG

Now - to make a start of some 'twiddly bits' - namely the instrument panel. Tonight I drilled all the instruments out with a 1mm drill bit - followed by 1.6mm - and finished off with a needle file and some fine wet and dry. Next stage is to thin the panel on flat wet and dry until it's almost paper thin - it will then form the top layer of the panel 'sandwich':

156ju52004.JPG

156ju52005.JPG

And for some not so twiddly bits...

I'm keen to get the fuselage to a state where it's stable and I can detail it. To this end the first step is to fill the lower rear fuselage panel.

This was removed, as described previously, so I could replace with a neater representation of the corrugated skin - and I've managed to acquire plastic sheet of suitable pitches to be able to do this.

156ju52003.JPG

Unfortunately the panel as moulded wasn't square so I need to clean up and 'balance' the opening before I cut out a suitable panel from the corrugated plastic stock.

BTW - I first got hold of these sheets to scratchbuild a 1:32 Tupolev TB-3 - but that's another pipe dream :)

TB-3

avv199704_2.jpg

Back to the Ju-52...

156ju52001.JPG

156ju52002.JPG

Oh - and Blimp, this is the bombsight pic - not brilliant - but if usefull I'll scan.

156ju52009.JPG

And talking of nice Mr Blimp - I've resized and printed the DSAC Bomb units he kindly drew up - next stage - photomount spray onto thin card stock ready to be cut out - only three sets to make! :banghead:

156ju52006.JPG

That's all for this installment - hopefully more over the weekend...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

good news with the books Iain , the plastic sheet is a great result too . you're winning ! :lol: the photo of the sight is a big help as i was going for something like this sight.gif

Edited by blimp

Not winning yet...

OK - a little more progress before bed...

Opening for rear panel has been cleaned up and made symmetrical - scalpel and sanding stick:

156ju52011.JPG

156ju52012.JPG

Some corrugated sheet cut oversize based upon the piece removed from the kit:

156ju52013.JPG

Then a centreline marked (wouldn't do for the corrugations to be wonky!) and the oversized piece lined up and taped to the underside:

156ju52014.JPG

Lining up the centre on the front edge...

156ju52015.JPG

And the rear...

156ju52016.JPG

Next - airbrush fired up and some acrylic black sprayed from the inside to delineate the area of the corrugated sheet that needs trimmimg to fit:

156ju52017.JPG

156ju52018.JPG

And the result:

156ju52019.JPG

Carefully fitted in place and bonded edge to edge with Plastic Weld - difficult as the plastic is very thin:

156ju52021.JPG

Once that had dried - thick superglue along the inside of the joints - zapped with spray Kicker:

156ju52020.JPG

And some Milliput 'plugs' strategically placed ready for the next stage - a resin pour. Not pretty - but all this will be hidden:

156ju52022.JPG

And the Milliput that was left over used to fill a concave area under the nose:

156ju52023.JPG

Have fun - and dig those vacforms out of the loft!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG