1:32 Junkers Ju-52 - Spanish Civil War Bomber

Iain Ogilvie

Feel a little guilty as this was started ages ago - not a lot done and the mods have very kindly allowed me to play! :)

Hoping this GB will be the encouragement I need to crack on...

There may also be a second build from me as the SCW is facinating and I'm drawn to these subjects like a moth to a searchlight! :pilot:

Picture_6082.jpg

Picture_6083.jpg

ju52_01.JPG

ju52_02.JPG

ju52_03.JPG

ju52_04.JPG

ju52_05.JPG

ju52_06.JPG

ju52_07.JPG

ju52_08.JPG

ju52_09.JPG

ju52_10.JPG

ju52_11.JPG

ju52_12.JPG

ju52_13.JPG

ju52_14.JPG

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for delay - a little busy of late...

Interior floor made from styrene sheet - usinf a scanned and blown-up image of the Revell 1:48 part as a pattern.

uboat031.JPG

And a cockpit bulkhead - again - scanned and scaled-up from the Revell kit:

uboat030.JPG

uboat032.JPG

Seat cushions:

uboat033.JPG

Throttle box:

uboat035.JPG

Will try and get some better pix shortly.

Iain

That looks pretty useful so far. Couple of questions. What was the thinking behind the resin in the bottom? What's the wingspan? Were there any white metal, or detail parts like undercarriage, props?

Hi Mike,

Resin 'keel' was for strength - for such a large model the plastic used is quite thin and with the deep, straight, draw of plastic into the female mould it's paper thin.

Exhibit A. M'Lud (note the tear in the plastic):

ju52_10.JPG

This will also give a solid base for the wing spars.

Normally for airframes like this I'd use a two pack foam - but as the JU-52 has such an open and visible interior that's not an option here.

Kit includes some white metal for the engines and upper gun section (I think there are gear struts as well). Engines will be replaced with Williams Bro's Pratt and Witney Wasps that were included in the Combat Models copy of the Modelbau Schmitt kit (which I also have in the stash)...

What I really need is more info on the bomb aimers/gunners dustbin and the bomb cells - piccies anyone?? :please:

Span - erm - about 3 feet - so pretty compact and bijou really! ;)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

- brilliant Iain , even the bomb 'cabinets' . just the bomb sights to find and i'll be a happy bunny . - well done son ! :kissing2:

i've got something to start with , too . . .

[/left]

001-2.jpg

Q. anyboby got a photo/info of the bombbay doors ?
Edited by blimp

What I really need is more info on the bomb aimers/gunners dustbin and the bomb cells - piccies anyone?? :please:

..you need the appropriate issue of Réplic...got it somewhere. For general details I posted a selection of the EADS Ju 52 at La Ferté over on the LEMB ..(you may need to register to see them)

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/i...?showtopic=3671

DSC_0416.jpg

Edited by FalkeEins

Mutter, mutter, mutter...

Can't find the Eduard sets on stock anywhere - did they do the same thing fot the JU-52 in 1:48?

The cells on the '52 look a similar design - but smaller...

They seem to have done a detail set for the Bomber at some time - but no bomb cells?

Clicky

Page two..

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Iain , the eduard ESAC bomb cell set is now OOP , if you want it for a pattern, i'll just use the ones in my roden he 111 kit . - pm me . the photo shows the side panels have six holes , the he 111 set has different cut outs . - odd that the shot shows eight bomb cells , i thought the max load was 1500kg . (6x250kg) or permutations .

Edited by blimp

- ah , the top photo , they are DSAC 250 magazines . normal fit was six cells , so why does this machine have eight ? and why would a bomber have a full rack of rifles - on the port wall ? probably not a bomber but a troop/munitions variant . good call though , answers a few questions . :rolleyes:

btw looking on the web i found these photos , might come in handy :rolleyes:http://picasaweb.google.com/bamf.bamrs/Jun...FAP?feat=email# Edited by blimp

• 2 weeks later...

spot the wally ! :doh: put my foot right in it .

- they are single 250kg cells but have 100kg bombs in them , not 250's . that'll teach me to look properly Iain .

[/left]

at first i couldn't understand how there was such a large bombload so far aft , that would have put the centre of gravity/aerodynamic c.g. in the stall zone :blink:

then i took a closer look and noticed there were TWO cells at the front . they also line up with lower fuselage hatches on known airframes - the offset cell also bothered me untill i took in the torque effect of the motors , so that layout is CORRECT ! that is one great photo and i apologise for any confusion . now i just need to iron out some airframe details and i can get cracking . - i'll put my ideas up as soon as i have them sorted , this might help other poor souls that fancy making a ju 52 bomber . oh such fun . :banghead:

you may be in time for departure Mike but this is a ocean going liner not a ferry

okay- that pushed the metaphor over way too far to capsize it, but it is the wrong scale

(the kit, not the metaphor)

Iain's build is 1/32 cos he's mad :mental:

Edited by walrus

hi guys , me again . the ju 52 bomb cells were a different design to the heinkels ESAC's - fewer holes etc. i'll knock up a sketch and post it went i get a chance , and i'll see what i can do with the turret / fuselage fit . :frantic:

you may be in time for departure Mike but this is a ocean going liner not a ferry

okay- that pushed the metaphor over way too far to capsize it, but it is the wrong scale

(the kit, not the metaphor)

Iain's build is 1/32 cos he's mad :mental:

Metaphorically speaking yes... but he was planning on scaling them up & making them from plaggy, so my original PE would be back home with me after being subjected to some of his scanner's photons. See? :smartass:

:rofl: steady now , i'll get some 250 DSAC plans done for the weekend for you all to play with . visiting my dad in hospital is using all my free time , (bad chest infection) but i reckon he'll escape by friday , and hopefully i'll be able to get to some more benchtime in . :thumbsup:

ok , ok ! better late than never -

image deleted , revised drawing pending

[/left]

you can print/resize this so that the 6 ft datum is the size you need . i.e. 1" 1/72 . 1 1/2" for 1/48 . 2 1/4" equals 1/32 etc . the drawing will be in scale . i have omitted the bowden cable actuator , see the photo -ju52003-1.jpg

i didn't rivet it all - life's too short . don't forget , you need three of these ! have fun :devil:
Edited by blimp

OK - a little more progress tonight - cockpit bulkhead in place and instrument panel started.

The bulkhead has been scaled up from the equivalent parts in Revells 1:48 Ju 52 and fits pretty well - it has highlighted that the floor couuld do with being a little wider - but that's an easy fix.

153uboat0031.JPG

153uboat0032.JPG

153uboat0029.JPG

153uboat0030.JPG

Work has started on the instrument panel and throttle quadrant - with black oil paint applied and polished off to highlight the detail and make it easier to drill everything out.

153uboat0027.JPG

153uboat0028.JPG

More soon!

Iain

Well - it's been positively vac-tastic on the Ogilvie patio today - young Cameron at a friends 2nd birthday party with mum - so an afternoon pass to 'play'

Firstly - I found the sanding tool I couldn't find - funnily enough I found it in a box right next to the computer desk - Doh!

153uboat0040.JPG

153uboat0041.JPG

153uboat0042.JPG

OK - on to the model...

I guess some have wondered why I cut the top off - as well as a section from under the rear fuselage?

Well - partly so I can build the fuselage and ensure everything solidly constructed before adding the interior - and also the moulded corrugations are a right PITA to get neat joins in the middle - the lower rear fuselage corrugated panel will be replaced by corrugated styrene sheet from the Slaters range.

153uboat0033.JPG

153uboat0034.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG
  • Like 1