Dougs' Me Bf 109B

Doug Rogers

Hi all, this is my GB entry, going to be building it OOB. The instructions show it to be painted in RLM 63 Grey, but what do the team think, as I've seen many builds of these early Messerschmitts in silver?

009.jpg

010-2.jpg

Should be a relatively quick build, for me anyway!

Edited by Doug Rogers

I remember finding the Top Hat markings sort of incredible when I was getting into aircraft as a child, and Gallands' Mickey Mouse symbol, they just seemed so out of place on a fighter. Taken me all these years to finally make a kit with the top hat on.

I know these Hobbycraft kits take a bit of a slating on the forums, mainly from the 'experten', but the detail doesn't look too bad to me, really looking forward to having another 109 on the shelf.

I can't find out the significance of the Top Hat markings, other than they were for the 2nd Staffel of J/88. 1st Staffel apparently had a couple of eyes looking skywards, and the 3rd Staffel had the Mickey Mouse symbol.

Found this nice pic on the interweb

bf109b.jpg

A couple of sprue shots as requested, quite nice detail actually, for a cheap old stash sitter. I'd already cut out the Balkankreuz markings for an Airfix 109F.

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

As far as I can make out the paint finish was a sort of greenish grey protective paint layer over a bare metal finish, so I may paint it silver first, then try and mist a custom mix over it.

Thanks Doug

looks pretty neat with afair amount of detail

colours are quoted as RLM63 or 02 over 65

does the decal sheet have the kill markings for the fin 9which i note are absent on your pic)

also there was a legend "ALTERUM" (antiquity) in white on the cowling

Hmm...good question, can't say I've noticed the kill markings or the legend 'Alterum', although being in white maybe I've just not noticed them. Have to have a look when I get home from work.

I reckon I'll do her in RLM02 then, makes for a more interesting appearance than just pale grey.

Looks like quite a nice kit overall. :) I read somewhere that some of the panel lines are a bit wrong, and that one of the cockpit sidewalls is fictitious (until later marks)... have you got any info on any of this, or are you going OOB?

Hi Mike, yes I had heard that some of the panel lines and sidewalls were based on later marks, someone suggested that it had more in common with a 109E in a lot of places, but to be honest I'm no expert on these 109's so rather than try and chase panel lines around the fuselage I'm probably going for OOB. Also I think the wing slats should be longer, so I may have a go at that. Dunno really, have to see how it progresses and how much I can get done before the Vacform GB starts, assuming May is confirmed as the start for that.

hi doug , just a quickie - the photo shows 6-10 in it's original form , light grey overall with small codes behind the black disc , oversized discs on the wings , extending over the aielerons . when it was fitted with the metal hamilton propeller it would have been repainted , probably in grey green and blue . it went to the spanish after the war , when it bore the 'kills' and 'antique' legend , - it was an old 'un !

Ah, OK so when this model was actually depicted it would have been in overall RLM63 then, as per the colour call outs on the instructions. Guess I should have had more faith in them. :thumbsup2:

hello doug , yes , the call out is right . but the black discs seem a little small , the prop had grey blade 'cuffs' & spinner . oh , the band on the top hat was red as well . - picky , picky, picky ! :P - i dunno , black and white photos , and all those *@!#% grey paints ! ARGGHHH!

100_0399.jpg

heres an early cockpit photo , complete with cocking handles for the two machine guns . the red baron would have felt right at home . :rofl:

Edited by blimp

apparently according to Jadgwaffe the top hat and tails "commemorated the antics of a Luftwaffe officer, who had just left the army, and was spotted wearing a Top Hat rather than his service cap."

The Jadgwaffe book has an additional photo of 6*10 shown from the other side with the Top Hat and a change in style of markings added (changed from 6-10 to 6 @ (black circle)10).

Edited by gcn

thanks gcn - having seen a scottie dog on the tail of a He111 i wondered if it had something to do with Monopoly :whistle:

the red band will be easy to paint in on the top hat Doug

scratch building the cocking handles with be fiddly - bit of bent wire should do the trick :lol:

Yes, I thought I might whittle down some coathangers with my Dremel! :wacko: I may have a go with some scrap photoetch actually, seems a shame to waste all this Intel.

Just got time for a quick update, got some prep work done on the prop, elevators and tailwheel.

Decided to have a go at installing a brass prop shaft and sleeve, I've done it before on a couple of Spitfires, but not for a while.

First source some 1/16in and 3/32in brass tubing, in theory the smaller should slide nicely inside the larger but worth checking before you purchase.

Cut about an inch of the 1/16in tubing and test for fit in the hole in the spinner plate. The hole in mine was slightly too large, so I sleeved it out with a shim from the 3/32in tube, and fixed with a drop of CA glue.

002-3.jpg

Check for balance when dry... oh OK...I just like to see it whizzing round really

003-2.jpg

Then cut a similar length of the larger 3/32in tube for the fuselage nose insert

005-2.jpg

Cut and dropped the elevators, just needs a bit of clean up

006-3.jpg

Discovered the taiwheel, which comes moulded into one of the fuselage halves, had snapped off, so drilled and inserted a pin ready to fit when the fuselage is done later.

007-2.jpg

That's all for now, dashing off to a Birthday party, see you later.

Hi Doug

i have just received this peply over on AERONET GCE - IBERONET

By the way,I´ve seen in the GB that a forum member called Doug Rogers is starting to assemble the Hobbycraft Bf-109B 6o10.I´ve done a research of this plane because I have the same kit and found that it has longer slats.If he wants an accurate 6o10 he could extend it scribing a longer slat line;please,let me know if the modeller needs more information of this plane and I´ll post it here.

Best regards:

Martin

HTH

Yes please, any information is gratefully received, thanks very much.

So far, I'm aware that the slats should be longer as these didn't have any wing armament, there shouldn't be any cooling slots in the front top of the engine cowl, and the guns should be visible in the gun troughs.

Wow! Great pics there, thanks a lot Ed. May have to try and do something with the gimp mask on the seat there. I see it definitely has cooling slots in the engine cowling there as well, hmm, maybe I should leave those alone then.

IIRC, the first half dozen or so 109 arrived without the cooling slots on the cowl. These were added in the field by the Messerschmitt factory support team that accompanied the first planes to the war zone. This link may be of use. http://www.zi.ku.dk/personal/drnash/model/spain/bf109.html I once saw an article on correcting Hobbycrafts 109 but cannot find it. It was concerned with minor panel lines on the forward cowl.

Ed