Best 1/35th Tiger Kit

Peter Marshall

Ok, in a moment of madness I am considering building a Tiger as a change.

However the array of 1/35th Tiger kits is confusing to say the least, with Dragon producing a range of kits, the Early/Mid/Late versions.

I have built AFV Club Achilles before, and have the Dragon Panther D 'Smart Kit', and am looking for something similar ( with a nice ally barrel and possibly some PE ), and would ideally like a kit that's nice OOB without lots of extras.

As for a preference I would like to make a Tiger from tunisia, but it's not essential, so this would be a bonus.

Suggestions as to the 'best' kits would be welcomed, as it's outside my normal area.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

Any of the recent Dragon kits are the best, The early 3 in 1 kits had almost everything that

you could want, Turned Barrels and PE some which is pre folded and bent. The levels of detail included

are so much better than the Tamiya kits.

I think Dragon have just released a zimmeritt covered version which if it contains the same parts as the preveous

releases will be a winner.

Regards

Dan

Hi Peter, Dragon are by far the best & most accurate Tigers out there, after that AFV club's is very nice then Tamiya's, academy's two with the interior aren't bad though not as good as the other's but stay away from their early one as its the old tamiya kit.

HTH Andy.

• 2 months later...
Thanks - Now I just need to find an Dragon Early Production Tiger kit, so I can do a Tunisian one.

Peter

They seem to be getting thinner on the ground... I seem to recall Paul @ ABC Models had a couple of Tigers dotted about the other day when we visited. I'm sure one was an early, but I might be wrong. Give him a call though, although he's closed on Wednesdays :)

No one's mentioned the Italeri Tiger 1 kit yet.

Pete

That's cos it's not very good: Symmetrical turret, dodgy fitting front plate and inaccurate commanders cupola to mention a few problems. And it can only be built as an H1 (which is ok for a Tunisia). Of course if all that doesn't bother you then you can just build it oob, your choice.

HTH

Andy

Hi Peter

I may be too late to the party here, but here goes.

Pretty much everything that has been said is true. I have several Tamiya kits, the old Dragon one Dan mentioned and an Italeri Bergetiger. I do not posses the AFV Club one, but I believe it has turret shape issues (Dan is the expert there).

Without reservation the Dragon one is superb (6253). Full of brass etc............... But if you can find one they are pushing £40+. The new kit comes with zimmerit moulded in (a personal dislike of mine), and I believe is again around the £40 mark, but doesn't come with all the extra goodies of the previous 3in1 kit (6253). They did I believe do a kit some time ago of the Tunisian Tigers of s.PzAbt. 503, again loaded with good stuff, but again OOP and very hard to find at a sensible price.

Onto Tamiya.

They produce four kits basically. Late/ Mid/ Early and Initial, which is listed as a Tunisian Tiger. They are nowhere near as comprehensive as the Dragon early kits and some etch will vastly improve them, but to be honest the Dragon kits can do with enhancing in certain areas. The bonus is that the Tamiya kits can be had for around £20 at shows etc..... but aren't dear at £25. Just DO NOT be tempted to buy a really early version of the Late kit, even if very cheap. It had a symmetrical turret which is correctable (i have done it), but it's a PITA and the fault was corrected later. All the other kits never had this fault. The fit is as would be expected from Tamiya.

Italeri: Hmmmm, well the detail is soft and it has a symmetrical turret (again fixable). The kit I have is only usable as the mine laying/recovery vehicle, but the basic kit is the same as the other kits. If it was very cheap I would say go for it, but it's not. Antics have the current incarnation and it's £25. Some etch is included, but I just can't recommend it due to the price.

Hope that helps a little, although it may be too late. Also go to the perth military modelling site. Loads of good stuff there with links to reviews etc on Tiger kits.

Just don't start me on the 1/72nd Dragon Tiger :boom: .

Final thing the Fruilmodellisimo tracks are stunning and will elevate any of the kits to a new level.

rich :frantic:

I think Rich has covered most of the main points, but it all boils

down to what you want from the kit, Tamiya produce some nice Tiger kits but

if you want the most accurate kit on the market today which build into great

Tigers from the box then i'm afraid it Dragon. If you have had the chance to peek into the box

of one of the Dragon versions you'll be surprised, I doubt that they could cram anymore parts

into it if they tried. They are not for the feint hearted thats for sure and they are a long term project, so

don't expect to build one over night. Accuracy wise they are very close indeed and Dragon have listened

to us modellers. I think the kit in its latest boxing has been further re tooled to improve points that modellers

have picked out. The latest Tamiya boxing are pretty close and far less engineered, they are a good starting point

for anyone wish to build a Tiger but it lacks in detail in certain points, PE engine grills are separate items in Tamiya's world!!!

Like I said its down to the builder in what they want from a kit but I'd imagine that to bring a Tamiya Tiger upto Dragon's

standards would cost more money than the Dragon Tiger. :analintruder:

HTH

Dan

Edited by Dads203

Slightly :offtopic: ,i know....

i've just retreived my old Tamiya Tiger I,(late version),i recall that being a decent one.

Gotta do some cleaning up i think !!

(i started it some time back....paintwork's bit rough)

Cheers,Baz.

Edited by Bazza

Slightly :offtopic: ,i know....

i've just retreived my old Tamiya Tiger I,(late version),i recall that being a decent one.

Gotta do some cleaning up i think !!

Cheers,Baz.

Baz there's nowt wrong with the kit fella, a nice bit of PE and your sorted !! :thumbsup:

can't argue with you Dan.

Perhaps I should have read the title more closely :suicide: .

Without a doubt the Dragon kit (6253 for a late) is the best Tiger kit out there. Ludicrously complete, as it even has the bits for a command tank, in both etch and plastic :hypnotised: . As i said they also did this for an initial production version, but that seems harder to find than the late (6253) kit.

If you want to do a Tunisian Tiger, you really are limited to the Dragon or Tamiya kits. Then aftermarket stuff for then Tamiya. This will also depend how far you want to go. The Eduard stuff is OK for £10, but no more. Aber stuff is fantastic and Voyager do sets as well, but the cost can be a little scary when compared to Eduard. There is also a huge list of other bits and pieces available.

So Dan is right. Decide on a budget and how far you want to go.

rich :frantic: