florian geyer ( german ww2 cavalry )

tornado64

a diorama i have planned for a while ( should be a long term dio build ) as unsure if i'm adding the panzer 2 and unsure how i'll lay the dio base out but will be nice

so here goes by displaying the basics if using a panzer i may buy another variant as the one in photo looks to be just desert options unless they were used in europe ..

3395238170_e4978fe4c7_b.jpg

Guest snipersmudge

I think you would be better off with the new tamiya ausf a/b/c kit or the dragon offering as the kit you have is rather old!

looks good i like the mud spatter on the hull, maybe a bit more mud on the wheels? :speak_cool:

the mud was made with winsor and newtons artists acrylics mixed with talcum powder to give a bit of thickening if done again would probably use fine sand instead ,

painted some of the mud off the tyres on the raised areas as it is meant to be dried mud and would have been worn off the raised areas as it is going to be portrayed on a road setting ..

although i do see the point on the wheel centres but i was working on the principle of shallow mud and it being thrown away from the wheels ..

Edited by tornado64

• 3 months later...

some aditional work done on the riders / horses .

being an early dragon mounted kit sadly there are no bits or reigns included ( unlike newer versions that have a very comprehensive etched brass set included ..

so scratch built the bits and reigns although a simplified version the real tack is a lot more elaborate double curb bit and reigns but i have decided against scratch building something more intricate

( the pencil is a size comparison for a non model building site that i am demoing the build on )

some early painting is shown of the horses black being painted in the lower areas to emphasize musculature

modhor001.jpg

modhor002.jpg

modhor003.jpg

modhor004.jpg

Hi, the base looks great what did you use for the puddles?.

Andy.

a small amount of humbrol 29 dropped into about 1/2-3/4 of a humbrol tinlet of yacht varnish and filled the puddles with an eyedropper after painting the pollyfilla sculpting with artists acrylic paints !!

then clear varnished over the rest to make it look wet although may still mat varnish some of the raised areas to give a bit more realism and depth so it looks like the water has drained out of the topmost areas