M1 AIM Abrams (Dragon 1:35)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This will prove a fine example of how to build my own "Abrams", even if it is the M1 Panther II version. Also Dragon so the hull part should be the same.

A bit more work. I didn't like the kit front ID panels, which were stickers, so I made some new ones from 0.1mm sheet & strip. They were sprayed up raw US Gulf War Sand, and edged with a custom mix of a mid brown, similar to the stickers.

I also painted up a couple of bed rolls, bergens & a tarp roll, which I've positioned & laid a sheet of rolled out Magic Sculp onto, tapping it down with a soft blusher brush I pinched from Caroline. That allowed it to settle down into the recesses & shapes, mimicking gravity. I also ripped one corner & folded it over for a bit of visual interest. Once it's cured, I'll paint it up florescent orange, which I'll then weather heavily, as these aircraft recognition panels fade quick quickly by all accounts.

hull20.jpg

Mike have you got the IR recognition plates on upside down, I would have thought they should be angled upwards for Aircraft to recognise them as friendlies, as opposed to the slats on yours angling down. see

m1a1_15_of_16.jpg

Edit just checked and they can be both ways up, see

http://data3.primeportal.net/transports/je...m1_07_of_13.jpg

:P

Edited by TonyT

Oooer! Who'd have thought it? IIRC, I think I did check the direction of the slats either against the plans or some of my refs... it's a long time ago now, and I can't claim to be an armour newbie anymore :crying: