MPC/Airfix MG K3 Magnette

This project is something new and strange for me. I have never built a car before. Deep in the deepest, darkest recesses of my stash was this MPC (Airfix) MG-K3 Magnette. Most of us in the States got their Airfix kicks via MPC way back when.

Boxart.jpg

What was cool about MPC was that on the side corner of the box was tokens. Save enough tokens and get a free kit. That is how I got my 1/24 Spit.

I don't necessarily agree with the color callouts by MPC so Google is coming into play here. Even then, I am just trying to get it together.

Part1.jpg

So far everything seems very nice, except for the flash on everything. I am missing a part. One of the sides to the "fuel tank" on the rear is missing so out will come the sheet styrene.

So wish me luck as I'm off and running at the 1933 Ulster T.T. at 78.65 mph

Overall the construction is going very well.

000_0308.jpg

Looking closely at the parts it is amazing how much detail Airfix put in this kit. The hood shows a mold date of 1976. Even the tires have the lettering "Dunlop Reinforced" on them.

000_0307.jpg

Here are the seats mounted in the cockpit. I used overall Tamiya flat brown with a coat of gloss to simulate leather.

000_0306.jpg

One of the things that has amazed me about this kit is the fine detail of the molds. The late 70's in the States, due to truth in advertising, had pictures of the model in place of boxart. It failed to show what the Airfix sculpters really accomplished in some cases.

Driver1.jpg

This is the driver. Complete with bow tie.

I can still detect a seam line on his neck after the primer coat.

Driver2.jpg

Now somehow I just have to use him. Can I say Zoom Zoom with a MG product?

Cheers everyone.

Jeff S

• 1 month later...

Well, a couple of group builds have kept me away from this project long enough. I have done some early painting and test fitting. There are no real fit ises with this kit but a little checking now cn prevent a bigger problem later.

LftSide.jpg

The panel was painted based on photos from of Google search. Mostly of restored cars but i think they are accurate.

Panel-1.jpg

The gloss coat is still a little tacky so all for now.

RtSide.jpg

Cheers everyone

Looking good - I must try and get one of these - would look great parked next to a Tiger Moth, or early Spit :)

Keep us posted! :speak_cool:

Hmmm - I dimly recall Matchbox doing the TC <wanders off to fire up Google>

Iain

Edited by 32SIG