Psssst..... I've bought an AFV Club Centurion 5/6

PHREAK

Now I'm a stalwart aircraft modeller I decided that I need some therapy after seeing Leigh's Crusader build ......bloody brilliant if you ask me!

I've picked up the AFV Club Centurion Mk5/6 as I've always had a soft spot for these for some reason. I know about the gun mantle which needs a canvas cover.....this will be sorted with the new replacement turret from Lone wossername (from out East)....but is there anything else that I should do to it? I don't want to go out and snaffle a load of reference as I live in fear of developing true treadhead tendencies.

I've got some Flory brown sludge which is going to get some use on this I think!

Thanks for any input....maybe doing a bit of treading is really what us airheads need once in a while....you've got a lot to answer for Leigh....thanks!

TIA

Rich......I am an airhead, I am an airhead, I am an airhead, I am an airhead..........ad infinitum.

Guest snipersmudge

i think the afv club kit is spot on except as you say the mantlet has no canvas cover, also unlike the vietnam centurion you don't have to cut the lovely metal barrel in half to fit the barrel counterweight

enjoy i've heard its an ace kit :speak_cool:

There was a build artilce on this kit in the June 2007 issue of MIS, which is worth reading. As far as the mantlet is concerned, you don't really need aftermarket - it's easy enough to make one from Milliput. Also, AFV Club do a set of indy link tracks for the Centurion, which are a significant improvement on the rubber band kit items, and are well worth the cost. I'm not sure that the vinyl road wheel tyres help much, but maybe someone will bring out some resin replacements.

Finally, beware the paint instructions - in the 1950s and 60s, British tanks were painted Deep Bronze Green, not khaki green. I should know, I spent much of my childhood in Hohne, in northen Germany, where my father was CO of 3RTR, watching Centurions drive up and down the road outside our house.

Other than that, I think the AFV Club Centurion 5/6 is an excellent kit, and you can get a good result more-or-less OOB.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks for the inside track Chris.

Rich

Cool News

I must admit I am an avid plane guy but Armour is just plain fun

DANGER: Pun included in this post

Thanks for the inside track Chris.

Rich

Ho ho, you're a barrell of laughs!

F*** off !....oops, sorry....I've got turrets syndrome!