1/32 Eurofighter out

smeds

I for one will certainly be getting one or the other Eurofighter but for me it is simply down to cost, HOWEVER I do like the idea of both the single (Revell) and twin(trumpy) seater side by side on my shelf.

I have to say I am a Trumpy fan as, looking at their range, they produce some really unusual stuff. A10, Chinook, Hind, A7, Lightning, and so on all good representations although I wouldnt really know a over riveted, misshapen, air intake if it hit me in the face. To me they look right and that'll do!

Thats it im only £150.00 short!

Roll on my Flanker!

I don't have anything against Trumpeter. I have an A-10 and a Flanker. I would love the Lightning, and I still hope they will make a Voodoo. I just hope I can afford them.

Yeah you can add me to the list for a big voodoo ! :thumbsup:

I'd love to believe this kit will get a fair hearing. Even if the Revell one turns out to be a solid lump of plastic c/w whittling knife there will still be the usual views that the Trumpy one is a turd on a stick by comparison.

I really do hope i will be wrong about this. Usually the best result a Trumpy kit can hope for these days is total silence (like the recent F-8E).

Still, the sprues and test shots never lie, so anyone who spends their £100 will surely be roundly dismissed asa slap-together modeling amateur with more money than sense*

Well that describes me to a T. Thanks. Mind if I use it?

I had a lot more to say, but, I do not want to turn this into a huge debate.

Accuracy/Ease of build/Cost/Enjoyment. Only you can decide.

Edited by Av8fan

Still, the sprues and test shots never lie, so anyone who spends their £100 will surely be roundly dismissed as a slap-together modelling amateur with more money than sense*

Yeah, they always spoil the fun!

I don't have any problem with Trumpeter kits in general, nor do I have a problem with people who choose to buy them.

I do have a problem with THIS Trumpeter kit because it's got so many (to me) glaring errors, but in the end who cares? Hell, I will quite happily build Airfix Tornados in 1/48 scale so I'd hardly consider myself to be a rivet counter. In my mind if a kit *looks* right to the person buying it then that's all that matters. If people choose to buy this kit then that's fine with me, I just won't be one of them.

I don't have any problem with Trumpeter kits in general, nor do I have a problem with people who choose to buy them.

I do have a problem with THIS Trumpeter kit because it's got so many (to me) glaring errors, but in the end who cares? Hell, I will quite happily build Airfix Tornados in 1/48 scale so I'd hardly consider myself to be a rivet counter. In my mind if a kit *looks* right to the person buying it then that's all that matters. If people choose to buy this kit then that's fine with me, I just won't be one of them.

I've not seen the kit discussed in any detail, so do you have a link or a list of the glaring errors? I'm interested to see...

Dont get me wrong,

I do not like mistakes. Depending on the severity though, I can deal with them. Without the people who are pushing for accuracy we would have some real garbage on the shelves. We all know it.

However, I think that what is upsetting to most people in this case is the mistakes in combination with the landed price.

For that you can blame the distributors and the lousy job Hase/Tamiya and all the rest have done controlling non value added costs that the distributors have tacked on.

I found this at ARC. The price is a bit high, and I REALLY can not decide which one I like better.

T-shirt

Too bad they do not have it in black.

Edited for missing a point. I should not be posting while at work.

Edited by Av8fan

I've not seen the kit discussed in any detail, so do you have a link or a list of the glaring errors? I'm interested to see...

I've been digging but am having some trouble finding all the threads, so I'll re-post the list of errors that I noted following a discussion between a few people at work). All these errors have been spotted from the sprue shots or from the built up shots available from Trumpeter's website. I'll also note where the errors give away the kit's origins as a copy of the Italeri 1/48th scale offering.

The rear fuselage is completely misshapen. Trumpeter have given it an almost square cross-section when it should be more round. This is an error found on the Italeri 1/48th scale kit.

The 'petals' around the rear fuselage behind the nozzles are oversized and inaccurate. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The nozzles are undersized, leading to an unrealistic slope between the rear fuselage and the nozzles.

The wingtip DASS pods have windows in them. This is totally incorrect and is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The cooling air intake on the bottom of the DASS pods is ludicrously oversized. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The actuators for the control surfaces on the underside of the wings do not have flaps over them as depicted on the Trumpeter kit

The flare dispensers are too narrow and the tubes are too small. They should also be angled rearwards rather than straight down

The PIRATE sensor on the nose is a joke. Completely incorrect and very similar to the one found in the Italeri kit.

The grille just below the 17 Sqn marking is oversized, the wrong shape and in the wrong place. This is an error found in the Italeri kit

The grille-type detail on the intake is incorrect. It should be much finer than that on the kit.

The canopy framework is oversized. This is an error found in the Italeri kit.

The join between the radome and the fuselage is too close to the canopy. There should be a fairing between the two of them.

The cockpit is incorrect, both in colour and layout.

The AMRAAM recesses have no detail for the launchers and the forward ones look to be parallel - they are not.

The APU exhaust is either missing or so undersized that it can't be seen on the photo

The crew access ladder is incorrect. Not only is it in the wrong place, but it is also the wrong shape. It is also incorrectly deployed - there's a whole panel that has to be opened for the ladder to come down.

The stores pylons on the sprues are undersized and incorrectly shaped, particularly the inner wing pylons, which are about half the length they should be.

Trumpeter have modelled the supersonic 1,000 litre external tanks, but they have not added the integral pylon that is part of the tank and very different from the stores pylons provided.

There doesn't appear to be a HUD in the cockpit

The aircraft's skin is covered in rivets (this isn't a joke - the real aircraft is largely carbon fibre and those rivets and fastners just aren't that prominent on the real thing).

The main undercarriage doors don't look quite right

That's just looking at sprue and built-up shots on the Trumpeter website. I'd be interested in seeing the real kit up close to judge it properly though.

Edited by Bobski

All these errors have been spotted from the sprue shots or from the built up shots available from Trumpeter's website.

:blah: <snip>

That's just looking at sprue and built-up shots on the Trumpeter website. I'd be interested in seeing the real kit up close to judge it properly though.

Yes, well maybe wait till then, eh?

I find it a tad odd that in days of old the previous Revell 1/32 Eurofighter was poo poo'd as only looking like the real thing from a distance of 2 miles or more. (same as their Gripen)

Now people are coming forward saying its very "accurate" and they only need to fettle it to be comparable to the latest release/s.

I would certainly be ~very~ interested to see someone compare the old & new Revell EFA's sprue by sprue & panel line by panel line..... :whistle:

Be happy to do that as soon as the revell one comes out. I have both the old EFA and the Gripen, and will be buying the new Revell single seat upon release.

Dave

I'd be interested in seeing the real kit up close to judge it properly though.

Definitely... then we can see whether they're real, imagined, or somewhere in between. There are people that will diss Trumpy even when they do a pretty decent job of a kit... just like there are with Airfix. It's always best to have a squint yourself & decide whether it's something you'll notice, or can correct. If it's going to cost you a fortune in resin or time to correct, then you can choose to walk away or not.

Wonder if there may be one at Cosford? :hmmm: Can't hurt to look ;)

I've been digging but am having some trouble finding all the threads, so I'll re-post the list of errors that I noted following a discussion between a few people at work). All these errors have been spotted from the sprue shots or from the built up shots available from Trumpeter's website. I'll also note where the errors give away the kit's origins as a copy of the Italeri 1/48th scale offering.

The rear fuselage is completely misshapen. Trumpeter have given it an almost square cross-section when it should be more round. This is an error found on the Italeri 1/48th scale kit.

The 'petals' around the rear fuselage behind the nozzles are oversized and inaccurate. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The nozzles are undersized, leading to an unrealistic slope between the rear fuselage and the nozzles.

The wingtip DASS pods have windows in them. This is totally incorrect and is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The cooling air intake on the bottom of the DASS pods is ludicrously oversized. This is an error found on the Italeri kit.

The actuators for the control surfaces on the underside of the wings do not have flaps over them as depicted on the Trumpeter kit

The flare dispensers are too narrow and the tubes are too small. They should also be angled rearwards rather than straight down

The PIRATE sensor on the nose is a joke. Completely incorrect and very similar to the one found in the Italeri kit.

The grille just below the 17 Sqn marking is oversized, the wrong shape and in the wrong place. This is an error found in the Italeri kit

The grille-type detail on the intake is incorrect. It should be much finer than that on the kit.

The canopy framework is oversized. This is an error found in the Italeri kit.

The join between the radome and the fuselage is too close to the canopy. There should be a fairing between the two of them.

The cockpit is incorrect, both in colour and layout.

The AMRAAM recesses have no detail for the launchers and the forward ones look to be parallel - they are not.

The APU exhaust is either missing or so undersized that it can't be seen on the photo

The crew access ladder is incorrect. Not only is it in the wrong place, but it is also the wrong shape. It is also incorrectly deployed - there's a whole panel that has to be opened for the ladder to come down.

The stores pylons on the sprues are undersized and incorrectly shaped, particularly the inner wing pylons, which are about half the length they should be.

Trumpeter have modelled the supersonic 1,000 litre external tanks, but they have not added the integral pylon that is part of the tank and very different from the stores pylons provided.

There doesn't appear to be a HUD in the cockpit

The aircraft's skin is covered in rivets (this isn't a joke - the real aircraft is largely carbon fibre and those rivets and fastners just aren't that prominent on the real thing).

The main undercarriage doors don't look quite right

Cheers for that I'd buy it and build it OOB :analintruder: That would be good for a laugh

I'm not really in the market for a 1/32 Typhoon, if I was, based on what I've seen so far I'd hold out for the Revell one. Trumpeter have made some good kits but it doesn't look like this is one of them. If what is posted on the Trumpeter website is representative of what's in the box (and there's no reason to assume it's not) then no amount of waiting is going to put it right. Judge for yourselves.

20091198152.jpg

DSCN2804.jpg

200911981513.jpg

DSCN2810.jpg

Yes, well maybe wait till then, eh?

I saw it at Cosford today and took a good look at the plastic. It's just as bad as I thought and the photos on the website are a true representation of the kit. In its defence though, it does have some VERY nice stores in it, such as ASRAAMs, AMRAAMs, Storm Shadows and ALARMs...

Speaking of Typhoons, Bobski, as you work on the project do you happen to know why they're not a contender for the next Danish fighter anymore?

I don't know any specifics (and couldn't say if I did) but I would speculate that Lockheed are probably offering existing F-16 customers sweet deals on F-35...

I'm not going to condemn anyone who buys this kit. If they want a 1/32nd scale Typhoon and are happy to buy it then fair play to them. I'm just voicing my opinion on the kit having seen the photos and (now) seen the plastic in the flesh.

As for the dripping sarcasm in certain posts, people slag some of my favourite Airfix kits (Tornados and Harriers) all the time and say I'm an idiot for choosing to build them, so why can't I slag a kit for a change, especially when it's of a subject I know a bit about?

I'm not going to condemn anyone who buys this kit. If they want a 1/32nd scale Typhoon and are happy to buy it then fair play to them. I'm just voicing my opinion on the kit having seen the photos and (now) seen the plastic in the flesh.

well, if they want one, they should get one. However, I'd still wait until the Revell Tiffie is out. They did a excellent job in 1:72 and 1:48, and I see no reason why they would miss it in 1:32. Especially, if Revell is in Germany anyway, where they can jump in a car and get some pictures of the real ones much easier than Trumpeter, if required.

As for the payload, they were very generous with the 1:72 (don't know what's included in Revells 1:48-Tiffie), so I see no reason why they won't do it in 1:32 either. Plus, you get a engine as a nice addition.

Alex

Just looking atthose shots of the nose and jet pipe areas of the Trumpy Tiffie they should be ashamed to be charging such a hideous price for something thats not anywhere near representative of the subject itself!! :who-let-rip:

I`ve already ordered a Squadrons worth of Revell 1:32 Tiffies and am expecting to happily get a value for money kit as usual from Revell

Edited by Armadillos

As for the dripping sarcasm in certain posts, people slag some of my favourite Airfix kits (Tornados and Harriers) all the time and say I'm an idiot for choosing to build them, so why can't I slag a kit for a change, especially when it's of a subject I know a bit about?

OK Bob, I fully understand if it's your "baby" (I feel the same way about the Minicraft 777, which everyone else seems to think is great) : :mental: one man's meat, etc etc.

Shame anyone has to slag kits off at all really. After all, the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of saddoes as it is!

After all, the rest of the world thinks we're a bunch of saddoes as it is!

They do? :shocked:

Calm & reasoned critique of kits is rather hard to find, I must admit. I can understand why people get browned off with Trumpy sometimes, especially at the moment when the errors they're making are compounded by some pretty horrendous pricing decisions by the British Importer/Chinese Wholesaler/Trumpeter or any combination of the aforementioned.

Like all things though, you'll get a full spectrum of responses from apathy, through mild perturbation (is that a word?) through to the kind of infantile histrionics that I hate. I also had a quick squint in a box on the Hannants stand, and aside from being chock-full of plastic, there wasn't much that jumped out & impressed me in terms of included detail. It's going to get more interesting when the Revell offering hits the shelf, that's for sure. My fingers are firmly crossed that they will provide us with a definitive Tiffie in 1:32 and load it with weapons for roughly half the British RRP of the Trumpy one, as no-one likes to pay almost £100 for a kit. I can but hope :)