Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane IIC/D

Trubbie

Gentlemen,

Did Trumpeter remember to reproduce the extra 4 inches in the IIC/D nose length? As I recall, the radiator was deeper too.

I am thinking of investing in this beast and would like it to be realistic.

Size really does matter.

Thanks

Like most of the Merlin mods, the extra 4" was all at the rear, and a 1/6" (4.2mm) thick disc, to extend the carburettor intake backwards, should placate even the most pedantic. I have some photos of the Merlin XX, if you want to try to change it.

A friend of mine checked the kit against Arthur Bentley's drawings, and said that it matched them precisely.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Like most of the Merlin mods, the extra 4" was all at the rear, and a 1/6" (4.2mm) thick disc, to extend the carburettor intake backwards, should placate even the most pedantic. I have some photos of the Merlin XX, if you want to try to change it.

A friend of mine checked the kit against Arthur Bentley's drawings, and said that it matched them precisely.

Edgar

Thanks for your reply Edgar. That is just the news I was waiting for.

Some reviewers treat every new kit to glowing reports and it isn't untill the model buying public get hold of it, that a true and candid opinion is given.

Your ( and your friend's) remarks are just the sort of review that I would trust.

Any info on the XX Merlin would be very gratefully received. Being a Hurricane fan, I have built several 1/32 Revell kits, heavily modified with Vasco Barbic's (Warbirds) upgrades, but never a 1/24 version, not even the Airfix kit which I bought when it was first issued.

Thanks again

May I refer you here?

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/Ki...riMkIITrop.html

Length right, engine wrong just about sums it up.

I'm waiting on there Hurrie Mk.1 as per my post in the WWII section.

Oh and---- :post1:

Thanks for the referal, I have read the review and it looks promising. Edgar (see below) confirms it's findings, which has prompted me to purchase the beast and some decals by Kits at War (I think)

Good luck with the MkI. They have said on this Forum that it's better than the Airfix version.

Thanks too for the Forum welcome. It's nice to be here.

Ps. Someone, somewhere pointed out a feature of all Hurricanes that NOBODY has ever reproduced in a kit, namely the straight line (not curved) of the lower engine cowling where it meets the leading edge. You can see it in the underside view of a decent plan. Now. every time I look at a Hurricane photo I see it!

I'll be happy with the Trumpeter kit...or I can drive myself nuts?

Slightly lateral thinking, perhaps, but I draw a certain amount of comfort from the lack of the usual chorus of disapproval, (for Trumpeter kits) concerning the Hurricane. I haven't had a good look at one, but I suspect that the harness isn't right, in fact it might be a Russian set; I have the IID, so I'll have a look, and let you know. It should be a Sutton, of course. If you PM an E-mail address, I'll scan some Merlin XX drawings for you.

Edgar

Thanks Trubbie. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

As to the supplied seatbelts--as Edgar says, they do look a bit odd for an early war Sutton harness

tru_hurricane1_parts10crop.jpg

Might be worth a look at Eduards 1/32 set. I've often thought they look a bit big for 1/32. I have a set for Revells issue of Hasegawa's Bf-109K so I'll have a quick shufty and see wot the size looks like.

Alternatively, I believe MDC make a 1/24 harness set.

Trubbie. I've just been looking thro' me files and I have a 6 page PDF file on the Merlin XX. It has a no. of B/W pics and a cutaway. From 'Flight' 1942.

It's about 2.5Meg.

If you want a copy, PM me your e-mail and I'll send it off ok?

Edited by plastic

scan0001.jpg

The drawing, on the left, is for the Hurricane. On the right is the Spitfire, but it gives a better indication of how the straps lie. No. 1 comes over the pilot's left shoulder, usually has 4, or 5 holes, and has the securing pin running underneath it. No 2, with 2 holes, comes over the pilot's right thigh; no.3, also with 2 holes, comes over the left thigh. The whole ensemble is finished off by no.4 (with the same no. of holes as 1,) which comes over the pilot's right shoulder, and carries the triangular clip (attached by a short piece of cord) which fits through the hole in the securing pin, and keeps the whole lot together. On the Hurricane the "Y" strap came through the hole in the backrest; on the Spitfire (except for a very few cases) it didn't.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

This any good to you Trubbie?

LLA2008pics003-1.jpg

Copy it for yourself,it's my own picture.

Mark

Dear Mr Miggers,

Thats an excellent photo of a partially naked Hurricane MkII...I would love to get closer to that sweetheart. An excellent reference photo to boot.

Many thanks indeed. Copy taken!!!

scan0001.jpg

The drawing, on the left, is for the Hurricane. On the right is the Spitfire, but it gives a better indication of how the straps lie. No. 1 comes over the pilot's left shoulder, usually has 4, or 5 holes, and has the securing pin running underneath it. No 2, with 2 holes, comes over the pilot's right thigh; no.3, also with 2 holes, comes over the left thigh. The whole ensemble is finished off by no.4 (with the same no. of holes as 1,) which comes over the pilot's right shoulder, and carries the triangular clip (attached by a short piece of cord) which fits through the hole in the securing pin, and keeps the whole lot together. On the Hurricane the "Y" strap came through the hole in the backrest; on the Spitfire (except for a very few cases) it didn't.

Edgar

Edgar,

Received your e-mail. The Merlin XX photos are very useful indeed and remind me of the Merlin engine that Airfix put in their 1/24 Mustang kit, which I have languishing in the loft. It's worth a try...

Your harness info, with the detailed description above, has sent me on a quest to find an aftermarket set (which might be available from MDC). In this scale, the harness will feature rather largely in the cockpit so carefull attention is required. I'm getting excited...

At the moment, I am trying to speed up the completion of that other Sydney Camm beauty, the Hawker Fury II, to expose some vacant workspace for the BIG Hurricane.

I am very much obliged for your help and encouragement.

Thanks Trubbie. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

As to the supplied seatbelts--as Edgar says, they do look a bit odd for an early war Sutton harness

tru_hurricane1_parts10crop.jpg

Might be worth a look at Eduards 1/32 set. I've often thought they look a bit big for 1/32. I have a set for Revells issue of Hasegawa's Bf-109K so I'll have a quick shufty and see wot the size looks like.

Alternatively, I believe MDC make a 1/24 harness set.

Hello Pastic,

'Tis true, I've never seen seat belts like those before..although they might come in useful for a 1/24 model of a Ford Cortina....or something.

I think you're right about MDC. They are worth a try. The Merlin XX info would be most welome indeed. My e-mail address will be sent to you asap. Many thanks.

Three books that you might find useful (and none are, particularly, expensive) are "Lock-on No.25 Aircraft Photo File Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII" (wrong Mark, but superb detail photos,) by Verlinden, "Hawker Hurricane Inside and Out," by Melvyn Hiscock, published by Crowood, ISBN 1 86126 630-8 (does include some IIC items,) and "Hawker Hurricane," by Marek Rys, a Mushroom model Magazine Yellow Series Special, ISBN 83-89450-32-1, which also has IIC items. As for harnesses, I've found that s/a bandage, like Micropore, painted light tan, takes a lot of beating.

Edgar

Hello Pastic,

'Tis true, I've never seen seat belts like those before..although they might come in useful for a 1/24 model of a Ford Cortina....or something.

I think you're right about MDC. They are worth a try. The Merlin XX info would be most welome indeed. My e-mail address will be sent to you asap. Many thanks.

Welcome to the forums chap.

I've installed an MDC Sutton harness in my Airfix 1/24th Hurricane, and it really is rather nice.

_D9O1491.jpg

Three books that you might find useful (and none are, particularly, expensive) are "Lock-on No.25 Aircraft Photo File Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII" (wrong Mark, but superb detail photos,) by Verlinden, "Hawker Hurricane Inside and Out," by Melvyn Hiscock, published by Crowood, ISBN 1 86126 630-8 (does include some IIC items,) and "Hawker Hurricane," by Marek Rys, a Mushroom model Magazine Yellow Series Special, ISBN 83-89450-32-1, which also has IIC items. As for harnesses, I've found that s/a bandage, like Micropore, painted light tan, takes a lot of beating.

Edgar

Edgar,

It seems that the Lock-on volume might be the best one to get; the MkXII (made in Canada?) being very similar to the MkII.

I have the SAM publication, but the photos seem to be a little vague and the colour cockpit illustrations somewhat naive compared to good colour shots.

Thanks once again.

Ps. s/a bandage (Micropore) is a self adhesive product? I'll look it up on the web. You presumably scratch build your own belt fittings?

Regards

Trubbie

Welcome to the forums chap.

I've installed an MDC Sutton harness in my Airfix 1/24th Hurricane, and it really is rather nice.

_D9O1491.jpg

Dear Mr Dylan,

Thanks for your reply. It's nice to be here ( franky, I'm amazed they let me in).

Blimey, is that the standard to acheive? Wish me luck!

Regards

Trubbie

Ps. s/a bandage (Micropore) is a self adhesive product? I'll look it up on the web. You presumably scratch build your own belt fittings?

Micropore is a 3M product, distributed in the UK by Unichem, but there are other, similar, products. It has a slight fabric weave, which I like, and is low-tack, so doesn't damage paint if you want to remove it.

I've found that a lot of WWII pilots had their shoulder harness draped over the canopy sill, opposite the entry door (so that it couldn't get trapped as they got in and sat down) and it's difficult to make etched items hang naturally for that configuration. Lapstraps often virtually disappeared under the seat, but were easy to find, and pull back up, especially with later Spitfire seats, where the right strap fed through a slot. Pilots, who had their own a/c, could have their parachute already installed, as well (less likely in 1940, when you took whatever was available, so parachutes tended to be laid on the wing or tailplane.) Bader certainly had the parachute already in place, presumably because, with it bashing the backs of his knees, it would have made it impossible for him to manoeuvre his legs into place.

There was a similar arrangement with some ejection seats, where the shoulder straps were flung back over the headrest (F-5E, for instance.)

Edgar

Micropore is a 3M product, distributed in the UK by Unichem, but there are other, similar, products. It has a slight fabric weave, which I like, and is low-tack, so doesn't damage paint if you want to remove it.

I've found that a lot of WWII pilots had their shoulder harness draped over the canopy sill, opposite the entry door (so that it couldn't get trapped as they got in and sat down) and it's difficult to make etched items hang naturally for that configuration. Lapstraps often virtually disappeared under the seat, but were easy to find, and pull back up, especially with later Spitfire seats, where the right strap fed through a slot. Pilots, who had their own a/c, could have their parachute already installed, as well (less likely in 1940, when you took whatever was available, so parachutes tended to be laid on the wing or tailplane.) Bader certainly had the parachute already in place, presumably because, with it bashing the backs of his knees, it would have made it impossible for him to manoeuvre his legs into place.

There was a similar arrangement with some ejection seats, where the shoulder straps were flung back over the headrest (F-5E, for instance.)

Edgar

Edgar,

I've found a source of Micropore on the net and intend to buy a reel.

Etched belts are my first choice because of convenience but, I have often been frustrated when trying to pose these items; especially if they are of the pre-painted variety where extreme care is required, lest the fragile paint is chipped. Your knowledge, I perceive, is comprehensive and wide ranging...makes me think that you have had a personal involvment with things aeronautical along the way.

Info, as always, gratefully received.

Regards,

Trubbie

Edgar,

I've found a source of Micropore on the net and intend to buy a reel.

Etched belts are my first choice because of convenience but, I have often been frustrated when trying to pose these items; especially if they are of the pre-painted variety where extreme care is required, lest the fragile paint is chipped. Your knowledge, I perceive, is comprehensive and wide ranging...makes me think that you have had a personal involvment with things aeronautical along the way.

Info, as always, gratefully received.

Regards,

Trubbie

Trubbie. Micropore is an excellent source for belts. As to buckles etc. they are supplied on the MDC sheet as separate items along with the straps.

makes me think that you have had a personal involvment with things aeronautical along the way.

Not especially; 20 years working on a/c instruments (which is why I'm not too sure about that compass, either.) Otherwise, I'm just naturally nosey, and stuck my camera into every cockpit I could get my hands on. :coolio:

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Dear Mr Miggers,

Thats an excellent photo of a partially naked Hurricane MkII...I would love to get closer to that sweetheart. An excellent reference photo to boot.

Many thanks indeed. Copy taken!!!

No probs mate.

That's actually PZ865,the famous "Last of the Many",now part of the BBMF's fleet and dressed as Karel Kuttlewascher's "Night Reaper".

I snapped her in the hangar at last years Member's Day.

Not sure I've got anymore mugshots of her,but I'll have a shufty for you.

Mark

Edited by Miggers

No probs mate.

That's actually PZ865,the famous "Last of the Many",now part of the BBMF's fleet and dressed as Karel Kuttlewascher's "Night Reaper".

I snapped her in the hangar at last years Member's Day.

Not sure I've got anymore mugshots of her,but I'll have a shufty for you.

Mark

I'll take all the help I can get, Mark. So far, the stout hearted fellows here have given me a wealth of info. The model, when finished, should be the combined sum of all those parts....lets hope my skills with the plastic can do it justice. Thanks very much Mark.

Ps. I think that I built a 1/72nd Keil Kraft model of 'The Last of The Many', quite a large number of years ago; it had a retractable u/c....great...

Not especially; 20 years working on a/c instruments (which is why I'm not too sure about that compass, either.) Otherwise, I'm just naturally nosey, and stuck my camera into every cockpit I could get my hands on. :coolio:

Edgar

Edgar.

I've got me Micropore tape from a local chemist, with some MDC buckles on order...I'm really looking forward to this as it's the first BIG Hurricane I've tackled.

An Instument Maker was, and I'm sure still is, a highly skilled and exacting job. If you apply the same abilities to your model making then the results must be impressive.

Regards

Dennis