Seeking info on WWII british AIRFIELD call sign !

jmarc

..First I'd like to thank 'STEVE HEEB'for the 2 great pic he as sent me ,those will be quite usefull but I'm still need to understand the lettering use on there sign ,color of the letering and if the british or CANADIAN use had different SIGN , in case you have mist my earlier posting ,those where sort of drawing done on the airfield ground to direct pilot who where in the air on wich airfield they were

Thanks in advance !

Jmarc

[email protected]

I'm not sure if this is the type of answer you're looking for, but each airfield had a unique call-sign. RAF Waddington was "Slangword". There were two squadrons stationed on that airfield, 463 and 467. Both had different call-signs: 463's was "Fuller", 467's "Mozart". When an aircraft called up the control tower, the pilot identified his plane by saying for example "Fuller George", this being Lancaster JO-G of 463 squadron, or "Mozart Love" PO-L of 467 squadron.

My website www.ordinarycrew.co.uk gives more information including a diagram of the Drem system which enabled aircraft to land as quickly and safely as possible.

Regards

Max

I think that you may be refering to the two letter code that may be found on airfields in big white letters, usually near to the control tower.

For instance RAF Leuchars in Fife, Scotland has the letters "L U" picked out in white brick.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl=e...002403&z=19

Here is the Former RAF base at Dishforth in North Yorkshire; "DH" (Now home to 9 Regt Army Air Corps Lynx)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?t=h&hl=e...002403&z=19

is that what you seek?

Later the Rebecca beacon would flash in morse code the station letters Another airfield sign on the ground near the control tower was the "Landing Tee" which gave the direction of the runway in use. Runways would also have their heading painted near the threshold with the reciprocal bearing at the other end.

John