Hurricane AK-G, BP592 photo needed

Jarek_G

Hello everybody.

First of all, I would like to introduce myself.

I'm a modeler from Poland and reader of Britmodeller and its forums. I'm building planes in 1/48th scale and vehicles in 1/35th.

Secondly - models that you presented on Britmodeller are great and of my interest, especially Spitfires and Hurricanes.

My question, or should I say questions are related to the last one. I saw somewhere (it was probably Polish monograph from AJ-Press 'Hawker Hurricane') Hurricane Mk. IIc from 213rd RAF Squadron AK-G with serial 'BP592' in desert scheme. I think that this could be the same plane that Trumpeter realesed on decals with its kit in 1/24th scale few years ago. But there are some differencies between plate from monograph and plate from Trumpeter's boxart - Hurricane from book has squiggle camouflage (narrow, snake-like lines) not spots on the fuselage front and wings leading edges as in Trumpeter instruction.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Hurricane_AKoG_2.jpg

And there are my questions: is there any photograph of the real AK-G 'BP592' exists?

Or maybe there is a photo of other Hurri Mk.IIc with spots on fuselage front and wings (I'm aware of those Hurricanes from Greece, but they are Mk.I as I remember correctly)?

I'm going to paint Hasegawa 1:48th kit in desert scheme with some variation from standard. Scheme on that Hurricane AK-G with that 'italian' feel looks much more interesting for me than that from monograph, but I wanted to be historically correct, so that's why my question.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Jarek Gurgul

Hi Jarek and welcome to Britmodeller

this is the subject of the Smer 1/72 Hurri IIC kit. have a profile or two but no pics i am afraid.

there were some FAA hurris with sand and spinach on BM recently ad a build of the same.

i am more familiar with MkI sand and spinach Hurris of which some photos exist

sorry can't be of more help but someone may well come to the rescue

I too would be interested to know if a photograph exists of this particular aircraft. Getting on for thirty years ago now, I built the Heller 1/72 Hurricane IIc in these markings, as supplied on the old Esci decal sheet . . .

HurricaneIIc2.jpg

Also reproduced here for comparison is the artwork from the Esci decals . . .

EscidecalsHurricaneartwork.jpg

Esci routinely copied artwork from the old 'Profiles' publications. The Profile on the Hurricane IIc is one that I don't have or have ever seen, but perhaps a photograph of BP592 appears in it . . . if anyone has a copy of it.

The reason for my interest is that I intend to build this aircraft again, only better this time around - probably using the Revell kit.

Cheers all,

Tim.

A colour profile of BP592 appears in Profile 24 - identical to the Esci illustration except that the undersurfaces and spinner are depicted as Sky Blue/Azure Blue. No photo of the actual aircraft in that book though.

Hello Nick, how are you?

I thought as much, which is a shame as the scheme must remain unsubstantiated and therefore suspect until such time as photographic proof comes to light. That such schemes existed is not at all in question, but the Profiles publications were produced in an era when anecdotal evidence alone was considered good enough, and I suspect that this may be the case here. I think Jarek may be disappointed, but I hope he goes ahead and builds his model anyway - I'll certainly build mine! After all, without photographic confirmation, nobody will be in a position to dispute the colour scheme.

Thanks for your help, and all the best,

Tim.

Hi Jarek and welcome to Britmodeller

this is the subject of the Smer 1/72 Hurri IIC kit. have a profile or two but no pics i am afraid.

there were some FAA hurris with sand and spinach on BM recently ad a build of the same.

i am more familiar with MkI sand and spinach Hurris of which some photos exist

sorry can't be of more help but someone may well come to the rescue

BM THread here as Paul says, these relate to Mk I FAA hurricanes. also some of the PhotoBucket links seem to have been deleted.

Interesting subject this - I've got to do something Middle Eastern for my Club's theme so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Edit:

Have just googled 'Hurricane AK-G BP592' and come up with these:

Techmod Decals

Wings Palette (This is the same profile 24 that Tim mentioned I think)

http://www.flightsimkid.be/pages/hawker_hurricane.html I think this is the same profile that Jarek shows in his original post

http://www.pmc-fritzlar-homberg.de/photos_...icane_MkIIc.htm These are photos of a build of the SMER kit Paul mentioned

This aircraft is also one of the decal options for the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane IIc

Edited by timbo33

Hi Tim

sorry - should have been more specific

i was meaning that whereas i have seen a few pics of the Mk1's with this sort of field applied camo, not come across any MkII pics unfortunately.

interesting links

some show the more familiar sand and spinach rather than vermicelli pasta - i have never seen any pics with squiggles on any Mk- unless someone else knows different.

The SAMI MDF on the hurri shows a profile of a MK1 with squiggles- but all other sources depict spinach

The Smer boxart /instructions have squiggles and i am now wondering if that is correct?

There's a photo in the awful* Tempus Classic Aviation Vol. 1 Hawker Hurricane by Edward Shacklady (p.88) of an Hurricane (don't know which mark but it has machine guns rather than cannons) in desert markings with the sand/spinach on the underside of the engine cowlings and wing leading edges. It's just got a white W rather than any full squadron code and the way it's been taken hides the serial.

*I say awful, it isn't really, as it reads quite well but the captioning on the photos is abysmal and really lets it down. Pity really as there are some excellent photos in the book. It's the same with the similar tome on the Mosquito in the same series

• 4 months later...

Hello, I'm back with my 'problem'.

Thanks for Your input in the subject.

I've found on the Czech Modelforum info about BP592. It was said that in the eighties was a photo of that plane, not to sharp unfortunately, under the camouflage netting. In author of the post conjecture - mottling on the nose was in real a shadow.

What do You think about that? Could it be true that this 'mottling' in reality was a shadow from the net?

Or maybe someone has pictures from Mediterranean of other aircraft parking under the cammo net with shadows like that on the airframe?

Jarek

This "revelation" is always popping up, but never with this "camouflage netting" actually visible. In "Hurricane at War" there's a 3 Squadron RAAF Hurricane, with the squiggles visible on the nose and wings, but not on the spinner, or the ground. In "Hurricane at War 2," there's a 73 Squadron Hurricane, mottled on wings and spinner, with the mottling visible underneath the leading edges on areas that are already in shadow. In Francis K.Mason's book, there's a Tac R Mk.I, and its engine's running (hardly likely to leave netting hanging around near a spinning prop, I'd have thought.) In Philip J.Birtles' book, there's a Sea Hurricane, of 803 Squadron where the squiggles appear on the nose and spinner, but not on the blokes standing by the prop and cockpit. In Aircam no.24, there are two P.R.Is, of 208 Squadron, and both have the squiggles visible on the areas which are already in shadow. Not one of those photos has any sign of any netting, nor any supporting poles; anyway, I always thought that the idea of netting was to cover the subject completely, not just one end. Don't have the photo of BP592, though, unfortunately.

Edgar

Hello everybody.

First of all, I would like to introduce myself.

I'm a modeler from Poland and reader of Britmodeller and its forums. I'm building planes in 1/48th scale and vehicles in 1/35th.

Secondly - models that you presented on Britmodeller are great and of my interest, especially Spitfires and Hurricanes.

My question, or should I say questions are related to the last one. I saw somewhere (it was probably Polish monograph from AJ-Press 'Hawker Hurricane') Hurricane Mk. IIc from 213rd RAF Squadron AK-G with serial 'BP592' in desert scheme. I think that this could be the same plane that Trumpeter realesed on decals with its kit in 1/24th scale few years ago. But there are some differencies between plate from monograph and plate from Trumpeter's boxart - Hurricane from book has squiggle camouflage (narrow, snake-like lines) not spots on the fuselage front and wings leading edges as in Trumpeter instruction.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Hurricane_AKoG_2.jpg

And there are my questions: is there any photograph of the real AK-G 'BP592' exists?

Or maybe there is a photo of other Hurri Mk.IIc with spots on fuselage front and wings (I'm aware of those Hurricanes from Greece, but they are Mk.I as I remember correctly)?

I'm going to paint Hasegawa 1:48th kit in desert scheme with some variation from standard. Scheme on that Hurricane AK-G with that 'italian' feel looks much more interesting for me than that from monograph, but I wanted to be historically correct, so that's why my question.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Jarek Gurgul

Jarek,

Cannot add any more to what has already been said, but I do have profile 24 with the two 'poor' photos in it, if you would like them, and all the other Hurricane stuff I have, then feel free to email me and we can sort out something for you.

[email protected]

Colin

There are photographs and film footage of Hurricanes in flight showing the "Squiggles".

Phil

Hello, I'm back with my 'problem'.

Thanks for Your input in the subject.

I've found on the Czech Modelforum info about BP592. It was said that in the eighties was a photo of that plane, not to sharp unfortunately, under the camouflage netting. In author of the post conjecture - mottling on the nose was in real a shadow.

What do You think about that? Could it be true that this 'mottling' in reality was a shadow from the net?

Or maybe someone has pictures from Mediterranean of other aircraft parking under the cammo net with shadows like that on the airframe?

Jarek