How Do I scale decals when making them

TonyT

I have bought an Alps MD-1000 which should be here in a few weeks and has only had about 150 sheets through it, I all ready have Photoshop which I am pretty Au'fait with from my skinning years as well as Coreldraw that i have used in the past for a few artworks for skinning for the IL 2 series of games.....

But for the life of me I cannot figure how I get markings to scale for 1/35th 1/72 etc.......... Do I have to draw in these programmes at full size in the likes of coraldraw? then reduce them down by the correct scale conversion? and how do you know what you are doing in these programmes is full size??

I just need to get my head round this bit........... drawing them should be the easy part...........

Help :please:

A rule of thumb, produce the the artwork 4 times the size of the decal, that way when you shrink it you loose the inperfections.

but that's what i dont understand, how do i know what i have produced will be the correct size when i print it out to put on the model......... you need a reference to go by to get it to the correct scale if that makes sense.

Tony,

You must know either the size of the decal of the full size vehicle, or the size you need for the model, I normally use mm as it's simple to scale up and down

Once you know the size of the decal, you multiply the sizes by 4, then when you know the size of the artwork needed.

In photoshop you can choose to create a file sized in various scales, just set to mm and create the file.

Once the artwork is complete shrink the file down to 25% of the original size and print it sized at 100%.

It should be the right size for the model.

Hi Tony,

Also have an ALPS MD 1000...

I use CorelDraw as vector images are a lot better for this kind of work and are infinately scaleable. CorelDraw also makes the layers easy...

I draw to the size I want - in mm - by taking the original design size and dividing by scale I need. I then zoom in and add detail that can be absolutely tiny.

In my experience - the use of 4 x end size drawings harks back to drawing stuff by hand - pre computer graphics - that I suspect my have continued in some circles as a legacy - but not really necessary.

Remember - layers are everything and make sure everything CMYK + and whites, silvers, golds etc...

These were all done on the ALPS:

britmodeller018.JPG

There is a good ALPS users mailing list that may be of use if you haven't found it already?

Now - I just need to find my stash of white cartridges and the printer lead as I've got to print some decals off for someone...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Ian

I agree with you that using a vector graphics program is preferable and layers do make things a lot easier.

Yes the 4* is the old manual way of doing decals, but I find it works for me as I'm still using non vector graphics photoshop at the moment.

If you have a supplier for white carts please me know!

Hi Tony and all, (Little-Cars please check supplier at bottom of this thread)

I too have the ALPS (OKI badged in UK) and I still use the old fashioned way to produce my decals. One system that I use it to purchase a set of decals from one of the many reputable suppliers and then scan them, or find a good modelling book with the relevant image and scan that. It doesn't matter which scale you buy as you are probably going to draw new decals to the scale that you will be working to.

I import the scanned image of the decal and find the part I want (for example MARINES and WMFA 531 for a 1/144 phantom I'm doing) and place it on Layer 0. Starting a new Layer (1) I then draw my vectors and text to match the original scanned.

Once I have completed this I go and delete layer 0 (the original scan of the decal) and I then enlarge/reduce the Layer 1 drawing until it is the size I need. I do this buy moving the item up to the ruler which surrounds the drawing package. The use of ordinary paper to print off test shots is a great help for saving the actual decal paper until needed. Of course I am left with a full set of decals in the wrong scale for my choice however I can usually sell or swap them at a local modelmeet.

I would reccomend that you seek professional advice if intend to sell your own decals if they are a direct copy of scanned set as you may be breaching some form of copyright. I only make decals for my own use.

I get my white inks and decal papers from Tom Prestia of 'Tango Papa' (www.tangopapadecals.com). Tom is very helpful and was very patient with me throughout all the questions I asked before I finally knew what I needed to buy. His mailing system is good and I receive my inks and decals within the week, from the USA.

HTH

Bootneck

Thanks guys all your comments will help, going to buy some and rescale to get the size, was also thinking if i measure the location off a photo and map it on the model panel lines I should be able to get the size off that in MM......... does that make sense and will it work?