New Hasegawa 1:72nd Lanc £56 Quid

atdb27

Reading Wooksta's breakdown of the costs for this kit and such, would it not be less expensive to order one of these Lancs right from HLJ and eliminate the middleman (aka the importer)?

I've done this on several occasions and even after shipping, I am still saving money. Just curious.

Well, that would be the sensible course of action, but of course the collapse of the Pound against the Yen puts paid to that.

Danny, the Hasegawa Lancs all have the glass in the kit for the GR3/ASR3 as standard (the areas to cut are marked out in the kit), along with the camera bay and the Village Inn AGL for the late war Lancasters.

Talking to me mate who's just bought it, it also includes the FN82 tail turret (yay!) and Lincoln fins.

Dave, I'll keep you posted, but just say that you may be collecting something extra at Perth. :speak_cool:

Sorry for belated reply, but i think i can help.

I still have one of two vacform 72nd ASR lifeboats i bought many many years ago from a long defunct company (Canovak Canopies i think). Perhaps Jen could run off some resin examples using it as a pattern ?

lifeboat.jpg

I still have one of two vacform 72nd ASR lifeboats i bought many many years ago from a long defunct company (Canovak Canopies i think).

It looks like that was done over a male mould. If that's the case, then the easiest option would be to take a mould from the inside surface in plaster or resin, then mould new ones over that.

I've recently experimented with building a vac forming box, all done with information culled from the internet. I am about to include a few improvements in it's Mk2 incarnation, I will document what I do and post a thread as it's a very useful tool,

Cheers,

Bill.

Having seen the lifeboat in the kit, the vacform one is really crude. That's just a shape. That's not to say that the one in the kit is fantastic - for an extra £20+ I would have expected internal gubbins for it too but the way it's been done it HAS to be fitted to the aircraft - but it'll do the job and doesn't look too difficult to mould either.

Having looked at the lifeboat, I can't see where they've poured the resin either.

That's correct, its just the basic shape in fairly thick plastic.

Thought it might save someone £50+, but no matter to me, i'll just bin it.

Cheers.....

Dave, I've just PM'd you. Please don't bin it yet....!!

Keef

Looking through Hannants Weekly Newsletter tonight spotted this

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HA00945

Sorry but surely there is no way that a Hasegawa 1:72 Lanc kit is now worth this outlay? (almost double what it was!) :analintruder:

I would rather buy a Rog Lanc at appx £17 (nearly £40 cheaper!!!) and make a lifeboat from references?

Adrian

And now add £62 for the Eduard e/b set being listed on Hannant's web site. Carries on like this and the old fishnet tights, leather mini-skirt and the old pitch under the lamp may have to start being used again

Ken

I would rather buy a Rog Lanc at appx £17 (nearly £40 cheaper!!!) and make a lifeboat from references?

Going back to the beginning, what references on the lifeboat are available? SOme time back I had a cast around the internet and didn't find any references to published drawings. As I remember, the quoted dimensions didn't seem conclusive, with figures somehat confused between the different Mks of lifeboats used in the ASR role.

One other point which caught my eye, Academy provide a lifeboat as part of their SB-17 kit. WHich variant is this one?

Cheers,

Bill.

Sorry to say, but the lifeboat in the Academy SB-17G was peculiar to that version and would not be used in any other aircraft. The later SB-29 also used a different boat. Hasegawa missed the boat, so to speak, by not releasing the lifeboat in plastic. It might have been released as a separate kit, which also could have been the basis for conversions.

Best wishes,

Grant

I am now gloating over my ASR Lanc. However, no FN82 (booo!) and the lifeboat is slightly inaccurate in that the second set of grab handles has been missed off. I still cannot work out how they've cast it. They've also cocked up the instructions for the third decal option as the aircraft is shown in the side view as having the camera bay but nothing in the instructions about fitting it and it's greyed out on the sprue layouts! Finally, the decals are too bright for the immediate post war aircraft with the Type C markings. Not much of a problem as I suspect most will be going for a post war grey/white option anyway.

Still, the modeller gets a spare set of intakes (tropical), the Village Inn AGL, a spare set of tailfins (Lancaster/Lincoln depending on whatever used) and a spare mid upper turret. All of these will come in handy to tart up the Airfix and Revell kits.

Just a pity that they didn't include a set of Lincoln wheels too.

Going back to the beginning, what references on the lifeboat are available? SOme time back I had a cast around the internet and didn't find any references to published drawings. As I remember, the quoted dimensions didn't seem conclusive, with figures somehat confused between the different Mks of lifeboats used in the ASR role.

One other point which caught my eye, Academy provide a lifeboat as part of their SB-17 kit. WHich variant is this one?

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill

Sorry I missed this reply of yours with my quote.

I have some 1:72 drawings from the old Airfix book 'Classic Aircraft #6'

If you would llike a scan then pm me your e-mail ID.

Adrian