Stebos' build

Stebos

Going to have a go at this one, it'll be my first go at a scale larger than 1/72 so I'm interested in seeing how I do with it. There's no aftermerket for this as far as I know. I have a spare set of 1/32 luft belts from MDC that might be suitable otherwise will be OOB.

Sprues!

But first, the traditional box shot:

storch%20box.jpg

Twice the size it needed to be, but looks impressive on the shop shelf...

Now the sprues:

storch%20s1.jpg

A duplicate ready painted canopy set is included. Looking closely I don't see any overspray but the line is softer than tammy tape would give. My biggest concern would be matching the paint so I'll likely mask and paint my own canopy.

storch%20s2.jpg

Not a great deal of plastic considering the scale.

storch%20s3.jpg

The engine block seems well detailed, it will be a temptation to add some wire and display a cowling open. The interior looks good. I'll be checking refs for detail, but I suspect there's not a great deal missing considering the nature of the plane.

One very cool inclusion is the wire struts added. This lets you get some scale thickness while keeping up the strength.

The temptation will be to add a base and possible armour kit. I'm terrible of late for getting bogged down in kits and not finishing them so I'm just going to do the Storch as is. That may change if I have the free time but highly unlikely for now.

• 3 months later...

Yikes, where have I been?

Debatable if I'll finish this in a week but I'm going to try...

I've been working on the various sub-assemblies, they go together with minimum fuss.

I have pics but my FTP isn't working atm so they'll be delayed as I update progress.

I do have some colour questions though, I'm not that trusting of the kit's suggestions - perhaps someone with better knowledge might know?

First up is the prop, I usually do these in RLM 70 (blackgreen) but Tristar is suggesting tyre black, should I lose the green tint? Or do I use RLM 71 as I'm guessing the prop was wooden?

I'm also puzzling over the top and bottom scheme. Tristar suggest RLM 71 upper and XF-12 underside (paler than RLM 65). I'm pretty positive the upper is not in fact blackgreen but should be much paler - I've seen two suggestions here: RLM 63 or RLM 02.

Further complicated by suggestions these were one and the same colour at one time... I'm leaning towards RLM63, which is darker than 02 (as suggested by xtracrylix anyway) and for that I'll use tamiya 25 (light sea grey) which is a close match, if a little faded.

As for the underside, the XF-12 light blue isn't quite RLM 65... do I want to stick with RLM 65 or would the earlier SCW birds have a paler underside?

As things stand I'm planning XF-23 underside (RLM 65) and XF-25 upperside (about 1/2 way between RLM 02 and the darker version of RLM 63) does this seem reasonable?

There's not much contrast between the two, but despite seeing an image of a SCW storch recently, I can't find it at all!

hi stebos , storchs were originally supplied in overall light grey, including the rudder . blue undersides added at the units . later the top surfaces were repainted dark green . the airscrews were standard black/green . interior colour was 02 grey with 66 darkgrey instrument panel . wheel hubs black - natural cast 'electron' (magnesium oxide) :welcome: good luck with the build !!!!!

Edited by blimp

Yay, pics!

Having to use photobucket for now, still no access to my personal space...

Lots of progress to show, the kit just falls together and is low on parts so it's quite speedy to put together.

Apologies for tardiness, I've been doing a little here and a little there, and there's not been much of interest to show until this week.

First up is the innards:

storchpit1.jpg

The only real tricky bit is cleaning up the thin spars, the mold halves were ever so slightly offset so careful cleanup of the parts was needed.

There's a choice of rear seat styles, but no help on what seat goes with what.. and no refs helped so I took a 50/50 change on getting the right one.

Next up is a rather nice engine block... the detail is nicely judged by what is likely to be seen through the cowling. If you're the type to open up panels etc (I'm not) then there's scope for extra detail and adding some accuracy.

storchengine.jpg

It paints up quite nicely:

storchengine2.jpg

Moving back to the sub-assemblies, after priming and laying down the interior colour (I chose XF 12 light blue, possibly too light) I have these goodies to work with:

storchassembly.jpg

For the interior I put down a couple of Field Gray oil washes, and picked out the structure with some pale grey & offwhite drybrushing. I used some MDC harnesses in 1/32, near enough scale to look ok.

storchpit4.jpg

I've highlighted an annoying issue I came across... I didn't paint the rear fuselage as marked, I figured the canopy would cover it up... it's thin enough than a decent amount of bare plastic was shown after I attached the canopy. I had to very carefully wiggle a paintbrush in there to disguise most of it.

storchpit3.jpg

Some more of the interior... lots of scope for scratching finer detail in here (there's no etch set as far as I know of) but I'm happy enough keeping it OOB. With good refs you can run wires and cabling around the place to busy it up.

Another update tomorrow, don't want to through a full build into one posting!

Moar pics!

Final construction:

storchassembly2.jpg

One of the 'criticisms' I'd read about was fitting the 3 sloped glazing pieces under the main canopy. The problem being; the inner tubular cage is wider than the narrowest point of the canopy, so if you fit the underglazing as suggested - the canopy won't fit anymore. This leaves a very tricky fiddle as you try to feed each glazing piece in.

I played around with the dry fit for a while and noticed a helpful tweak. You *can* fit the longer port side glazing and still carefully slip the main canopy into place. This I did and the fit was so good it literally 'snapped' shut with a lovely noise.

This just left the final 2 starboard pieces. Luckily the open doorway helps a lot here. The largest piece needed a bit of whittling to fit...

Going to the tail area...

storchassembly3.jpg

The rudder is meant to be moveable, fitting into two lugs that trap it in place. However this proved quite fragile and I managed to break the rudder half off. So it's fixed into place now (with a slight jaunty slip to one side for added interest!)

The wings went together very nicely...

storchassembly4.jpg

The trailing edge flaps were quite interesting... they're only held in place by rather fiddly hinges... at first glance this seems horribly fragile... in practice they're surprisingly tolerant to rough handling. I've kept the leading edge pieces off so I can properly get paint into the largish gap they leave.

A final shot of the front, ready for priming, the various holes filled in with sponge & blu tack:

storchassembly5.jpg

I made a slight error on the main legs... they're very twisty until fixed and I CA'd in the frame without aligning them properly straight. You can see the slight twist to each one if you look carefully for it. I'll live with it rather than risk breaking the struts.

Priming her up tonight... the main disaster there being a large spill on the upper wing... cleaning it up damaged the plastic a bit, and sanding has still left a slight mottled texture if you look in certain angles... perhaps it's patched up battle damage :who-let-rip:

One of these days I'll build something without a clumsy mistake!

One further quick update to show where things are atm:

storchprimed.jpg

Primed, and the white rudder & wing tips are on.

I'd debated trying some kind of fancy preshading on the ribs - but compared to photos I feel the fabric affect is maybe a tad overdone... the depressions are such that I think natural shadow will likely give all the variation to the plain colour that's needed.

I will run some preshade lines along the cowling edges and a few other places though, just enough to show there's an actual joint there and not just a non-filled gap.

Before priming I ran the interiors colour of the canopy frame so it's seen on the inside.

The wings aren't attached as such - I'm painting them seperately. Tristar molded them very cleverly... they hinge down onto the canopy and the strut just pops into the fuselage hole. While there's a very thin gap, I'd rather keep the wings unfixed so I can take them off for any travels etc

Tomorrows task is to mask the white, paint the undersides, the prop, wheel hubs.

Thanks Paul... the kit helped mostly, needing hardly any filler... the decals were a dream to put on (I'd been worrying a lot over the X's ) though I suspect the wing X's are undersized... to be truly accurate it might have needed masking.

Some plain as day mistakes to be seen (a few seams, some decal silvering) but I always struggle there anyway, just my inexperience really.

My biggest concern was the rather drab scheme, but the Storch is busy enough it get's away with it I think.

Looking forward to seeing how it compares to Wingnuts J.1, but it'll be a while before I tackle that one...