blimps scw build .

blimp

browsing the www i came across this 30's footage of a DLH civvie , a bit blurry but it shows some little details such as the ladder , hatches etc . and although very vague , the engines don't have a 'see through' effect between the cylinders . so it looks like even the early 'home' variants had baffles , out with the plasticard again . . . :tapedshut:

:thumbsup2: YouTube - Alas de la Luftwaffe Ju-52 1/5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&fea...p;v=Q_rZIEUuZsA Edited by blimp

:coolio: as the sun was shinning , yesterday was an 'al fresco' day . YIPEE !

anyway here are a few more shots . . . .

[/left]

003-4.jpg

my 'power plants !' :rofl:

sorry , couldn't resist that one . . . ahem .

- i'm getting baffled now .

002-5.jpg

OK ,OK, enough of the lousy gags . . . . :door:

004-5.jpg

it's time to crack on , that nice mr 32sig is catching me up ! and he's doing a vac , eek .
Edited by blimp

Good progress - I need you to stay one step ahead so I can get ideas - OK - cheat ;)

Am getting into this 'al fresco' lark - and following your comment re. Beer Table on the patio I've been wheeling an old dining table outside each day - just missing the beer! :drink:

I'm saving my engines - if I start them now I'll get sidetracked - and I should be doing structures...

Have fun!

Iain

:yikes::goodjob:

WOW Great photo's Blimp! I'm well impressed !!! Not only with the model (I already know how good you are) but the Pics!! You got to grips with my old Camera really well. Please take care of it, I miss it now lol :crying:

The interior is coming along really well, can't wait to see this finished.

Superb!! :D

righty hoo , more news . after spending an eternity making one engine front louvre i decided to cling to what's left of my sanity and copy it in resin for the others . time to try out my kit i brought from the last telford show ! the mould is 50% done , ( STILL tacky . i might have been a bit light with the catalyst . ) - hopefully it'll work and i can get some casts i can use :pray:

the master

[/left]

in the 'mould' an old plastic tray , with a bung 0f bluetack 005-3.jpg

and now some gloop .

020-2.jpg

the cards are adjustable to keep the extra bit of spue on the top , the female side of an alignment register for lining

up the two halves of the mould when casting .

while i had a blob left i made a quickie of the fuselage skinning -

021-1.jpg

i wasn't happy with my attempt at matching the corrugations on the loading door , maybe a wafer thin resin patch will blend in better instead .

back to engines i will save a bit of work on the cooling baffles . it was a right fiddle just doing the centre engine , but they are a visible featutre . i will cheat unashamedly on the outers , a touch on the linisher will put a flat on the back ( got spares ) to take a blanking disc of card ! easy peasy . trust me you can't see diddly from the back :devil: more mischief anon . . . .

Edited by blimp

heh hee , i'm ahead at work , so i've been given some time off for good behaviour . :devil:

here is my test cheat for the outer engine baffles -003-6.jpg

[/left]

004-6.jpg

and my first shot at those pesky louvres . . .

001-4.jpg ye gods , it works ! :analintruder:

002-7.jpg

one tiny bubble , so an extra runner , and robert is very much your uncle ! :yahoo:

. . . . must dash off now , mrs blimp is making shopping noises . . . . . .

me again , here's the old door removed and replaced with the new patch

001-3.jpg

[/left]

002-6.jpg

looking better , i might even get away with it this time :rolleyes: - i'll strip off that revolting paint .

back to the bomb cells , doing the tops , and messing about with some placebo bombs .

001-5.jpg

that'll be 40+ parts in each unit , then . . . . and counting . (gibber , tic , sob etc ) :banghead:

It will all be worth it when enclosed in the fuselage halves where noone can see it Blimp!

keep taking the placebos.:analintruder:

can you give us some sense of scale by putting the beer crates on a laptop just to show how tiny they are please?

cripes. you have already :yikes:

never mind the breakdown , feel the kudos :worthy:

:blink: - i've got to paint the beggars yet ! it'll be too akward when they're buttoned up , but you're right about them not being seen , i think i'll skip the rivetwork this time . . . :shoot:

needs must 'ol bean , i was hoping to get this done ages ago , i ought to be on the He 111 by now :badmood: . . . . hmmm , maybe i should change my avatar . . . . can-of-worms.jpg

:rofl:

my way of mass producing the upper panels , using slaters strip . doing 'em like this keeps them regular . just sanded , a gentle clean up of the holes needed . ribs and webs to be added yet - they can just be seen , left . :blink:

003-7.jpg

[/left]

. . . Oops , a little untidy , a touch of filler should fix it . those webs are TINY . :confused:

004-2.jpg

especially when so much of them can be seen :rofl:

Edited by blimp

• 2 weeks later...

right , here we go 002-8.jpg

getting the rear compartment fitted out

[/left]

003-8.jpg

removing some plastic from the underside , to be reskinned with resin panels and hatches

001-7.jpg

hello , what's this then ? - handy things CNC's , especially when somebody leaves odd programs running :rolleyes: tut tut .

:frantic: busy , busy . having found out that i'd completely run out of thinners i've just got a gallon or two for stock , ahem . AND :thumbsup2:

005-5.jpg

[/left]

doing the rear compartment dicovered the italeri 52 has got the rear gun cutout too far forward , it needed to be about 4mm further back .

:angry: ho hum , too late now . nobody will notice , - will they . :suicide::chair::shutup::wall:

001-8.jpg

meanwhile , back on the ranch - i've made a start underneath . begining with some spar webs .

002-9.jpg

- along with some skinning . i'm going to redo this and make it 'square' like the photo of the real thing .

006-4.jpg

'coz i fink it'll be visible through the windows .

must dash - oft to see the jolly 'ol man now . - i might squeeze in a bit of painting when i get back woo hoo ! . stay lucky . blimp .

Edited by blimp

doing the rear compartment dicovered the revell 52 has got the rear gun cutout too far forward , it needed to be about 4mm further back .

ho hum , too late now . nobody will notice , - will they .

was what i was thinking but didn't like to say :whistle:

keep up the cracking good work

Hope your Dad is well btw Blimp

001-9.jpg

adding the rear spars , with a rough shape of 'open' hatch .

[/left]

002-10.jpg

and the main front ones , wiring and 'ladder' to go in yet .

004-7.jpg

the gunners 'bucket' - ignore the figure , he's 'armless .

[006-5.jpg

slowly but surely getting there . :P not the best of pictures , daylight's better , soz .