It doesn't get more D-Day than this....

timbo33

I'm getting bored with the P-38 which is dragging it's heels so I've decided to open up a parallel project!! This is actually the oldest kit in my stash having been issued in 1998 to commemorate 50 years since the Berlin Airlift. I'm going to build it as KG326/I9-Y of 575 Squadron RAF complete with D-Day stripes - should look the biz.... :closedeyes:

Dakota.jpg

I couldn't resist just taping the main pieces together to get an impression of what it'll look like - it's flippin' big!!!! :gobsmacked:

Also gave it a quick mist of halfords white primer as there were lots of sink marks in the plastic but they don't show once it's covered...

P3170193.jpg

:yahoo: we've got a dak :popcorn:

Yehh....I thought we could do with one :pilot:

All the models being built are representative of D-Day but the Dak somehow just epitomises it - Was it Eisenhower or Patton who called it the plane that won the War?. Just getting it out of the box and taping the main pieces together gave me goose bumps....It brought back 'Band of Brothers', 'The Longest Day' and 'A Bridge too far' all at once....

Edited by timbo33

Oooooh! Do Revell still make this beastie? :analintruder:

I think it's just been re-launched - saw one on eBay with different box art than mine

:cheers:

Edited by timbo33

You absolute beauty!!!!

Crack on ol' chap. I've got the popcorn and beers handy.

I'm busy with the re pop AC-47, doing it as a SAAF 85 MEFS bird from the 70's - built up, you need big shelves to store it! Look forward to progress on your build

M

cool Tim

bet it is a BIG wingspan. always looks really elegant for a workhorse.

Yes - about 2 foot wingspan and about 15 inches long....

Mind you not as big as the Condor, Liberator and B-17G I've got - all in 1/48 :analintruder: .........I think my modelling career could be a short one!!!

Edited by timbo33

Yes - about 2 foot wingspan and about 15 inches long....

Mind you not as big as the Condor, Liberator and B-17G I've got - all in 1/48 :analintruder: .........I think my modelling career could be a short one!!!

Currently I'm building the Revell 1/48 B17G (doing a Coastal Command job) and the Tamiya 1/48 Lanc. Great kits! They are huge.

I also have the 1/48 Libby in the loft stash for building soon.

Trouble is, I'm not quite sure where to display them... Or actually, where I'll be allowed to display them.

Edited by Murdo

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing some work on this after a long break......Spent a lot of time painting and detailing the interior:

Dakota002.jpg

Dakota003.jpg

Only to realise it's all hidden now the fuselage is closed up!!! :wall:

Dakota012.jpg

:doh:

The fuselage needs a fair bit of attention (seams filling, sanding etc) and despite the looming deadline, I've decided the kit engines are :shit: so I've ordered some Quickboost ones. However, I feel I'm making some progress at last and I'm hopeful that she'll be finished in time for the Hendon Show..... :pilot:

Edited by timbo33