GB Subjects (need for something smaller?)

zero

I just had a look at the list of forthcomming GB's and noticed non of the planned builds seems to allow for a smaller (or quicker build?)

V is for Vacform GB May-October 2009

Canberra Anniversary/Les Bywater Memorial GB - 13th May-14th October 2009

Handley Page Anniversary GB June-October 2009

Bomber Command GB - late summer through autumn 2009

For ease I have listed the preposed builds above, and all of these builds seem to be bigger (bomber) subject builds.

I know this is just my view, but I noticed the interest in GB's has wained a little, and I wondered if we need a smaller subject in there as well. Ie the Vac build may be limited in uptake. The Canberra is a bomber, (be it 1/72 or 1/48) the HP build screams Halifax, and Hayfords, and Victors, and then to top that off we then have a Bomber command GB to follow.

Speaking soley from my point of view I know, (but others may feel the same!) Non of these subjects appeal (and that may be a case for many people here, who build at 1/48 and the larger 1/32 scales) ie the subjects matters for three preposed builds on the trott just scream (IMHO) big bomber builds.

ie

Canberra (1/72 or 1/48)

Mainstream kits for the HP build Hayford, Halifax, Victor, the only smaller kits available are Airliners at 1/144, Hampden, Jetsteam, and limited research Aircraft (where available?)

Bomber command GB Again leads to mainly big subjects ie lanacasters, sterling, etc, yes there is smaller stuff at 1/72 available.

Myself I enjoy build a kit in GB, but all of these exclude me due to my building at 1/32 scale, ie I don't have a 1/32 canberra to build, I can think of nothing to build to fit the HP in my stash, and bar building a 1/32 Mossy for the Bomber command build again my choice is very limited.

Just thought I would mention this,

Dave

Fair comment Dave and something for Karl and myself to consider for future GB's, although I'm bound to point out that GB choice is pretty much down to what the massif say they want us to lay on. At least no one can accuse me of bias, seeing as my own favourite subjects are single seat piston engine fighters!

There is still time to join in the Naval and D-Day GB's, with the Spanish Civil War GB starting in a couple of weeks, surely there must be something that might suit in one of these?

peebeep

Thanks Peebeep.

Actually I have completed my model for the Navy airpower build Already :tease: and my build for D-Day is well underway. I might join the Spanish civil war build too. (not sure what yet)

Glad you could see what I was driving at, ie not a grumble, just not everyone want to build WWII bombers at 1/72 scale.

Maybe a little lighter GB subject running along side these might catch a few more GB'ers out on a Limb.

Dave

(PS nice to meet you at modelkraft this year)

Just a thought, how about a GB on lend-lease aircraft??? Lots of things from single seat/ single engine to multi seat/4 engine.

Christian the Married

Well, after the success of Jens KUTA GB, maybe another light and fast GB would be the way forward. How about an OOB build, no resin or etch, just the kit and belts/seat and thats it. There is no-one on the site who will not have an unstarted kit or 50 stashed away :winkgrin:

Well, after the success of Jens KUTA GB, maybe another light and fast GB would be the way forward. How about an OOB build, no resin or etch, just the kit and belts/seat and thats it. There is no-one on the site who will not have an unstarted kit or 50 stashed away :winkgrin:

So what if my OOTB project was an Eduard full meal deal FW190?? Huh?? Huh??

Can I read that as Mike @ Two Mikes Resin and Greg B, by avoiding all formal channels and procedures that have been put in place, are thus volunteering to set up and host a GB? If that's the case, off you go boys, I would suggest you call it 'Out of the Box' and accept any subject, any scale, any genre. Maximum four weeks, you set the dates.

:clap2:

peebeep

Can I read that as Mike @ Two Mikes Resin and Greg B, by avoiding all formal channels and procedures that have been put in place, are thus volunteering to set up and host a GB? If that's the case, off you go boys, I would suggest you call it 'Out of the Box' and accept any subject, any scale, any genre. Maximum four weeks, you set the dates.

peebeep

Whoa whoa whoa.........back that truck up Paul!! I just asked about using a certain kit is all!! :)

I already hosted a GB anyway!! Its Greg's turn to shine!! And we all know that if I want to host a GB, I just do it!! I am American...thats how I roll!! :analintruder:

I can see the appeal for 'lighter' and shorter GB options, with the longer ones I always feel tempted to go for a big project and that sometimes backfires when I get swamped under... the sort of simple kit I can do in 1 week or 3 I tend to ignore for GB purposes.

I hope to see one of the 'blitz' ideas show up that I've seen mention of. The 24/48 hr build...

As for the upcoming HP one, I'm doing the Heracles in 1/144 for that!

Just a thought, how about a GB on lend-lease aircraft??? Lots of things from single seat/ single engine to multi seat/4 engine.

I've long thought that a Lend-Lease GB would make an excellent subject (Tanks, Ships as well as planes). It also says "We may be Brits who got fed up with American Resource Centre, but we don't hate America really". And then you could follow it up with a Reverse-Lend-Lease GB (Spits & Mossies in US markings :D )

You know, what we really need is an Avro Anson GB, kits available in all the scales from 1/144 to 1/32 scale. It's a deserving subject too, the aircraft most resposible for the allied ability to engage in the air war during WW2 :whistle: .

Best

Rich

You know, what we really need is an Avro Anson GB, kits available in all the scales from 1/144 to 1/32 scale. It's a deserving subject too, the aircraft most resposible for the allied ability to engage in the air war during WW2 :whistle: .

Best

Rich

Rich

One, you have already suggested this item on the ATF forum, but again it a limited subject.

The GB's that have had the most support have been the ones with the widest option of builds, tying the GB down to one subject matter, may rattle your chains, but it certainly doesn't mine. :hobbyhorse: Also where can I get an Anson in 1/32 scale Anyway?

I do like the OOB Idea, ie anything out of the box, only using the kit parts, no After market parts only what comes in the box (including decals), and only bits you can fudge together yourself, it tamiya tape seat belts etc.

I think we need a GB with a wide option, not a closed one, the KUTA was great as it gave people a chance to nail kits that were part finished, no restrictions, and that what we need now, not a one subjuct GB with limited take up appeal. and i know it my :2c: but I don't think a Avro Anson build does that.

Dave

Edited by zero

Spoilsport :weep:

:D

1/32 Anson here.

That Heinkel in the Spanish GB banner looks great though, very tempting!

Best

Rich

:deadhorse:

:door:

Thanks for the info on Combat models.

Dave

Well - if I had the time I'd be in for the HP and Canberra GBs with 1:32 models (OK - vac - and from ID Models - Hampden, Halifax, Canberra and B-57 - all sat in loft gathering more dust) :fool:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

I just had a look at the list of forthcomming GB's and noticed non of the planned builds seems to allow for a smaller (or quicker build?)

V is for Vacform GB May-October 2009

Canberra Anniversary/Les Bywater Memorial GB - 13th May-14th October 2009

Handley Page Anniversary GB June-October 2009

Bomber Command GB - late summer through autumn 2009

Myself I enjoy build a kit in GB, but all of these exclude me due to my building at 1/32 scale, ie I don't have a 1/32 canberra to build, I can think of nothing to build to fit the HP in my stash, and bar building a 1/32 Mossy for the Bomber command build again my choice is very limited.

Just thought I would mention this,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did a Gladiator in the BoB GB, I'm building Spitfire in the D-Day GB, I will be building a Seafang or Spiteful for the vacform GB. For Bomber Command, I don't think a Mosquito is too large. Mind you, I build in 1/48.

Seriously, suggest something that you'd be interested in and be prepared to host. Maybe something like British Fighters 1944 - 1954.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Gibson

• 2 weeks later...

Formal procedures and channels? Not me chief, I'm just suggesting it for a bit of light relief from specific subjects, everyone has at least one unstarted kit. As for hosting it, if no one else steps forward I will, however I'm 8 hours ahead now, have limited net access and my freight has not arrived yet so cannot participate. Apart from that count me in :winkgrin:

peebeep