Converting a 1/72 Wallace to a Wapiti?

Simon

Hi All

All this discussion on the Demon thread about 607 Sqn has made me decide to make a Wapiti. Not sure about what colours to do it yet though... :winkgrin:

Being too financially-challenged to buy the Czechmaster kit (£30.00 :blink:), I have decided, wisely or not, to have a go at converting a Frog/Novo Wallace into a Wapiti. I've ordered an Aeroclub Jupiter & prop, Scarff ring and Lewis gun, and I have a (reasonable) set of plans. Looking at them the fuselage needs shortening and re-profiling and some panel lines/joints need replacing. Wings and tail look the same to me, and new undercarriage I think I can handle.

Anyone done this before, and can offer any advice?

Cheers

Simon

An example of such a conversion can be found in John Adam's posting in the 608 Sq colours thread, if you read past the Demons. I started one some years back, and agree with your description of what is required. The Aviation News plans will be useful. The gunring I found awkward, which is why it was shelved for a later day. I haven't yet compared this attempt with the CMR kit, of which I have two - one to be a Wapiti trainer, thanks to Robert Dixon's book.

Well, if it's not a challenge then it's no fun B).

Thanks for the replies, and I'll let you know how I get on...hopefully!

Simon

I did one many years ago and about three years ago refurbished it. It is not an easy job so you will be happy and it does require some estensive scratchbuilding, and a new engine and undercarriage. I would prefer a new mould kit by a major manufacturer so that the price is not exorbitant but that is unlikely so I will have to stick with my bodge job.

• 2 weeks later...
I did one many years ago and about three years ago refurbished it. It is not an easy job so you will be happy and it does require some estensive scratchbuilding, and a new engine and undercarriage. I would prefer a new mould kit by a major manufacturer so that the price is not exorbitant but that is unlikely so I will have to stick with my bodge job.

I have a copy of a conversion article which came with a plan by Ian Stair I believe , but I have no idea which magazine it came from . From memory you need to lengthen the fuselage , change the engine , alter the U/C and adapt the rear cocpit to take a gunring and gun .

I have a copy of a conversion article which came with a plan by Ian Stair I believe , but I have no idea which magazine it came from . From memory you need to lengthen the fuselage , change the engine , alter the U/C and adapt the rear cocpit to take a gunring and gun .

Basically yes, and it is a matter of proceeding by trial and error. The Wallace kit is so darn basic to begin with that it is almost a blank canvas.

Hi All

All this discussion on the Demon thread about 607 Sqn has made me decide to make a Wapiti. Not sure about what colours to do it yet though... :winkgrin:

Being too financially-challenged to buy the Czechmaster kit (£30.00 :blink:), I have decided, wisely or not, to have a go at converting a Frog/Novo Wallace into a Wapiti. I've ordered an Aeroclub Jupiter & prop, Scarff ring and Lewis gun, and I have a (reasonable) set of plans. Looking at them the fuselage needs shortening and re-profiling and some panel lines/joints need replacing. Wings and tail look the same to me, and new undercarriage I think I can handle.

Cheers

Simon

i got the resin kit and the wallace

looks like a lot of work

had the same idea so i got the maquette pv1 same kit as the novo pv6

wot a muppet at my age i should have guessed

good luck

wvm

Hi All

Cheers

Simon

just read the rest of the replyes

wallace pv1 or pv6

all can make the wapity

wvm

just read the rest of the replyes

wallace pv1 or pv6

all can make the wapity

wvm

If you study photos you will see that the cowl around the engine as supplied by Aeroclub is not quite the same . The Aeroclub cowl is smoothand symetrical where as the Wapiti cowl has a couple of flat bumps which if i remember correctly correspond to the position of the exhaust pipes and machine gun .

Edited by NZKIWI