M&S/Revell 1:72 Lancaster

timmah

Hi All

I'm going to join in with this.....

P3150146.jpg

I bought these near Christmas when M&S were clearing them out and has to have been THE modelling bargain of last year!

One of the kit's decal options is for W4964 Johnny Walker WS J which was a 9sqn aircraft that flew with No.5 group Bomber command.

With the help of this link here I knew that 9sqn Lancaster flew in support of the D Day operations but I was not sure if W4964 Johnny Walker - WS J was involved so I purchased this book.....

P3150147.jpg

The book lists every operation that all the 100+ Ops Lancasters flew and is packed full of useful information. The book confirms that W4964 Johnny Walker - WS J was used throughout the D Day operations and flew 2 ops on the 6th June itself(her 71st and 72nd ops).

I will be building it almost OOB, the only planned additions at the moment are a set of Quickboost gun barrels to replace the awful kit ones.

I intend to tackle the flattish wings and hopefully lower the rear turret which I belieive sits too high.

Box contents about to be opened.....

P3150148.jpg

The sprues have been washed (never done that before) Does it make a difference to how acrylic paint stick?

Onwards with the building........

Thanks for looking

Tim.

I never wash the sprues and I've never had issues with acrylics sticking to plastic. I often use vallejo which are meant to be pretty fragile. I do always prime though, I wouldn't use acrylics without priming. I find it can pool & run on bare plastic, even with brush painting.

Are you going to fiddle with the controversial wing dihedral?

I would recommend replacing the wheels with resin ones as well. I picked up a set for my build and they look so much better than the kits effort. You don't notice it until you compare them. (the kit wheels are scaled funny and have a weird rounded 'squareness' to them.

Definitely the bargain of last year though.

I was half expecting a 617 lanc, Excellent addition.

I'll add you to the confirmed entries list.

Thank you Mish, I thought about doing a 617sqn aircraft but could only find Dambuster decals and no info on specific aircraft that took part in the D Day operations

Are you going to fiddle with the controversial wing dihedral?

Yes I'm going to try and use the Ted Taylor method to alter the wings

I would recommend replacing the wheels with resin ones as well. I picked up a set for my build and they look so much better than the kits effort. You don't notice it until you compare them. (the kit wheels are scaled funny and have a weird rounded 'squareness' to them.

I was looking at the wheels only this morning and they do look odd, far too square, so I think I will be changing them.

More progress soon.......

Tim.

Tim,

Nice choice for the GB. When I built mine, I found the parts liberally coated in the release agent to help separate the sprue trees from the moulds. So washing this kit wouldseem to be a very good idea.

I agree with you regarding the wheels - the kit offerings aren't very good, so source some others, and maybe some Quickboost gun barrels, as the kit .303's are a bit poor.