EE Canberra B(I)8 Corrections

Scimitar F1

Thanks for the feedback Les, helpful to know that the gun-pack wasn't used very often, then again a number of pics on the site show it being carried so I think I'll add it to my model anyway.

I'm under the impression that the same bomb door/gun-pack layout would apply to the B(I)6 as well. I can't think of any reason why it would be a different setup?

Hi I have added the points on the glazing around the nose to the original post.

Spad - on looking at the shots of your model and the real aeroplane the angle is slightly different leading to the model appearing more truncated and 'bulbous' as you put it. This will need measurement of the real item to solve!

Will

I'm under the impression that the same bomb door/gun-pack layout would apply to the B(I)6 as well. I can't think of any reason why it would be a different setup?

Spot on :yahoo:

Bex

Has anyone got any detail photos of the area rear of the pilots seat?

Looks a bit plain in the Airfix kit and I would like to spice it up a bit.

Its an area that has eluded me too, I haven't been able to find any images and failing all else I reckon a little creative gizmology will be called for, all the same if anyone has any pics then please post 'em!

Regards.

The area behind the pilot's seat contained the emergency canopy realease mechanism

This contained an actuator connected to linkages to the rear of the canopy.

On the ground this actuator was fitted with a ground safety pin with flag. The pilot would

remove this pin just prior to getting seated and then show the removed pin to the ground crew.

LesB.

• 3 months later...
thanks for the reply Les

this is what I was meaning.

WT346colerne.jpg

IMG_0023-crop.jpg

Maybe its the demarcation point ...it just seems to be too large - maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't think so. :frantic:

Too late for this one anyway - it's done!

cheers

Rick

Dived into this thread on the back of the 1/72 one, but these two pics show why model aircraft shouldn't have engraved panel lines!! :analintruder::speak_cool::winkgrin:

(No offence or slight on Rick's model - it's all aimed at airfix!)

Edited by Dave Fleming

Dived into this thread on the back of the 1/72 one, but these two pics show why model aircraft shouldn't have engraved panel lines!! :analintruder::speak_cool::winkgrin:

(No offence or slight on Rick's model - it's all aimed at airfix!)

Doh! shot meself in the foot there didn't I!!?! :analintruder::winkgrin:

No offence taken Dave - but I have to disagree on the generalisation about engraved lines - I would however agree on the issue of OTT trenches. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have either completely filled or, at least, seriously reduced the lines as the as-moulded condition is just awful!

cheers

Rick

Doh! shot meself in the foot there didn't I!!?! :analintruder::winkgrin:

No offence taken Dave - but I have to disagree on the generalisation about engraved lines - I would however agree on the issue of OTT trenches. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight I would have either completely filled or, at least, seriously reduced the lines as the as-moulded condition is just awful!

cheers

Rick

Rick,

Dont worry Ive done exactly the same bloody thing :doh: I was too busy concentrating on looking at the daft angle of the nose side window and didnt pay attention to the panel lines. So much for being a Canberra Expert :blush::doh::suicide:

Bexy

• 9 months later...

This needs resurrecting as I am abou to have another go at my B(I)8

The bomb aimers window is so hideous that I intend on sanding back the dome until it is correct in side profile and then glue a flat clear bit of plastic to create the right shape after a bit of sanding.

On another note has anyone used the Two Mikes tail conversion? I am interested to know how the tailplanes are mounted - do you just hack the stubs off the fuselage sides and then glue the new resin piece in place at the correct angle?

Many Thanks

Will

This needs resurrecting as I am abou to have another go at my B(I)8

The bomb aimers window is so hideous that I intend on sanding back the dome until it is correct in side profile and then glue a flat clear bit of plastic to create the right shape after a bit of sanding.

On another note has anyone used the Two Mikes tail conversion? I am interested to know how the tailplanes are mounted - do you just hack the stubs off the fuselage sides and then glue the new resin piece in place at the correct angle?

Many Thanks

Will

Will

I will post a pic of how they fit tonight. They actually fit just like the real ones. :)

• 8 months later...

Getting ever closer to finishing the beast. What it really needs is a new canopy.

On the real thing the canopy curves in quite a bit at the base. when viewed head on it looks almost circular. Is anyone going to make a replacement? It would also work for a PR9 and there must be quite a few out there that would by this. Will anyone take on the challenge?

Will

One other Canberra related item

How accurate is the kit gun-pack? I know Quickboost do a replacement but it seems little different to the kit item. Does anyone have some clear photos?

Will

The kit gunpack is too short at the front, the cannon muzzles should be completely shrouded by the forward fairing.

Aviation Workshop do a one piece resin replacement that hits the mark

BCS-702a.jpg

http://www.theaviationworkshop.co.uk/bcs70...pack-p-362.html

The Quickboost part is a knock-off of the kit parts. There are a couple of pics in an old Aeroplane Datafile, can't remember the date, of the B(I)6 prototype fitted with the gunpack that shows the profile and the parts in the Aeroclub kit are correct as well, I'll take Johns word on it anyday.

Edited by TheModeller

• 2 years later...

There still seems to be some confusion about the B(I)6/B(I)8 bomb/flare doors. The gun pack doors (known as flare doors as the space forward of the pack was for the carriage of 16 x 4.5' recee flares) were one piece items with cut outs to fit around the pack. The doors were not split and, on bomb door selection, the whole lot opened or closed. As an added detail, the normal doors had internal cut outs (for the fins) and were sculpted (to fit around) the Mk 7 1650lb weapon.

If some kind soul will let me know how to post photos, I will post some.

213 Sqdn armourer 1960-1963.

Good to see this thread still has some life in it! I still need to nail the canopy - I will get there.

Will

I know what you mean about the canopy Will, we could do with an accurate B(I)8 and if it's a one piece vac form it would work for the PR.9 too and an accurate B.2/6 one with nose glassing. Perhaps Aeroclub could re release the set they did for there 1/48 Canberra kit. I know A to Zee did that nice clear resin upper fuselage replacement part but a simple canopy would be easier to cope with, for me at least.

John

Edited by canberra kid

• 3 years later...

With the help of material from Canberra Kid I am working with a quality aftermarket provider to produce a new canopy for the B(I)8 and PR9. The key will be to get the correct profile from the front as the kit does not reflect it at all. 

I asked Airfix if they were ever going to correct the glazing and the answer was no so there was no other choice than sorting it myself! Early stages yet but we have excellent reference material.

If anyone has access to the B(I)8 cockpit at NSAM at Flixton or a PR9 cockpit some help with pictures and some confirmatory measurements would be much appreciated.

Will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

I asked Airfix if they were ever going to correct the glazing and the answer was no so there was no other choice than sorting it myself! Early stages yet but we have excellent reference material.

I think the best question to ask Airfix is if they would consider re-engineering the whole kit!  It's so full of errors that it's unreal.

The list is long and yes most is easy to fix, it's just a shame we have to, but at least we have a "good" solid starting point and we should be grateful to Airfix for getting us to this point. The canopy will indeed be a big help for the 8 and 9 and if we can the B.2/6. The B.57' could benefit form a new lid too, but unfortunately the problems rum a bit deeper with the front end of the B.57 and would require more work the a replacement canopy would fix on it's own.

John