EE Canberra B(I)8 Corrections

Scimitar F1

With regards to the tailplanes is it the case they could have their angle of incidence varied, hence the gap underneath and the overlap above?

TIA

Andy

Andy,

They were fixed position. As to why there was a gap I have no idea TBH.

Bex

Strange indeed. I thought they might be adjustable as if you look at the photos 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14120

you can see the part of the bulkhead with the tailplane mount is sticking up above line of fuselage and also how the leading edge of the tailplane is not in line with the small fairing on the fuselage. Also the skin of the fuselage under the gap has a cut-out which matches the the elevator pivot on the tailplane above.

I just thought that from looking at these pics the tailplane incident could be raised or lowered. All very strange indeed?

Andy

I knew Id scanned this page in, it shows the 3 mounting points for the tail plane which make it solid.

scan00035.jpg

Without hunting through my books I was sure I was right, even though with the photos Andy has pointed out a moveable tailplane is possible and could cause confusion.

Bexy

Strange indeed. I thought they might be adjustable as if you look at the photos 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14120

you can see the part of the bulkhead with the tailplane mount is sticking up above line of fuselage and also how the leading edge of the tailplane is not in line with the small fairing on the fuselage. Also the skin of the fuselage under the gap has a cut-out which matches the the elevator pivot on the tailplane above.

I just thought that from looking at these pics the tailplane incident could be raised or lowered. All very strange indeed?

Andy

Yup, I think they were adjustable, if you look at Mike's walk around, you can see what looks like gearing through the gap. The whole tail stab unit has the rear end raised by about 5%. MyAirfix B2 has not got a gap because the rear end of the tailplane unit is lowered in what I'd call a neutral position.

I can't imagine why Mr Petter et al would have put a gap there on purpose for fun.

Let the utter confusion continue!

Wish my old man was still around.

Edited by PHREAK

:sorry: to cause confusion, I should've gone to spec savers :doh:

From AP 101B-0402-1A Para 5:

The tail plane is fitted with an incidence adjustment unit designed to positive control at high mach numbers. The incidence is varied by electrical actuator which ensures irreversibility of control under any condition of flight and enables quick changes to be made in fore-and-aft trim during take off, flight and landing.

Incidence:

Take off position: 3deg 15min (+or- 2min)

Range between electrical stops: 2 deg 12min (+5min -4min) to 3 deg 59min (+4in -5min)

Moral to Bexy - Read ya books before you start typing :doh:

Bex von BrainOnStrikeToday :blush:

P.S: Thanks Rich for kick starting my brain again :yahoo:

Bex, wake up. :banghead:

You sent me all the info on variable incidence tailplanes months ago.

Rich, you are spot on. Airfix actually have the incidence right for tailplanes in the neutral position, therefore without the upper fuselage protrusion. CA have it wrong, as if you follow the thrust line of their tailplane they have it set for lowest AOA, and there should therefore be the lump in the upper fuselage.

richvongratefultoBexy'scanberrafetish :frantic:

Edited by richc

Bex, wake up. :banghead:

You sent me all the info on variable incidence tailplanes months ago.

richvongratefultoBexy'scanberrafetish :frantic:

I know I know.................... just ignore me today, I really dont know whats going on in my head, seems to one brainfart after another today :rofl:

Bex von Brainfart

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the inaccurate tailplane roots, so far its an issue that hasn't been picked up by any of the reviews, online or in the media, plenty of reference images on this forum show the problem clearly enough.

We noticed it... or rather RichC did, and we're in the last stages of making some masters to correct this very issue. It will comprise of new tail parts correcting the root issue, a new fin root & rudder in one very nicely made set :)

Keep your eyes out on http://www.twomikesresin.com ;)

We noticed it... or rather RichC did, and we're in the last stages of making some masters to correct this very issue. It will comprise of new tail parts correcting the root issue, a new fin root & rudder in one very nicely made set :)

Keep your eyes out on http://www.twomikesresin.com ;)

Damn Mike, and I've spent weeks rebuilding the tail of my B(I)8... But hey, if you want it reviewed as part of a B.2 build then send me one over ;-)

BTW, those pics you asked for will be off at the weekend, had a whole bunch of work stuff to get out of the way but don't worry, I haven't forgotten...

Hey Rich......

Get off the computer and get to work would ya?? Oh yeah, no pressure :)

I'm Rich Cs minder Mr Reeves so careful who you bully! :fight:

Watch out Rich, I may just drop something on you!! :analintruder:

Like wise, I know where you live and I have friends in the RAF!

Have a good weekend squire.

Scimitar

I was looking at my model earlier and something else came to me - the tailplanes could do with some panel detail scribed in. As the stand they are completely devoid of any surface detail, the elevators don't even have trim tabs. Looks a little odd when you consider the rest of the airframe is so heavily panelled.

While I'm here, could somebody clarify for me what the problem is with the rear of the wingtips/ailerons.

cheers

Rick

A question for the knowledgeable types here; do the finger type airbrakes (as shown in earlier images) deploy with the flaps or are they a separate activation?

Harvs,

The airbrakes are totally seperate from the flaps :thumbsup2:

HTH

Bex

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the inaccurate tailplane roots, so far its an issue that hasn't been picked up by any of the reviews, online or in the media, plenty of reference images on this forum show the problem clearly enough.

I did the corrections on my B8. I glued the tailplaned in situ and used the upper surface dihedral angle to shape the roots. There is enough meat there to file the stubs back in line with the tailplanes, without breaking through the plastic.

Probably still is posted on HS Airfix build.

Derek

Fill in the two small "B2" equip bay doors (Thanks Bex for these)

which doors are these? where are they? I'm struggling with this - Bex? :)

Cheers

Rick