A-4E/F Skyhawk - 1/72 - Italeri

Paul - Brazil

Hi all!

Well... Another Scooter... gee.gif

I think all modelers know this kit, but I am posting some sprue's pictures...

The box:

005.jpg

The sprues:

006.jpg

007.jpg

The acrylic:

008.jpg

When I bought this kit from a friend, the decal sheet was partially used:

009.jpg

Tomorrow I will start the job (I hope).

A last picture. That's my mess, ooops, my workbench:

004.jpg

Best!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil

The fun has begun...

There are just four pieces for the cockpit and they have some anoying holes (from extraction pins):

010.jpg

Landing gear bay sanded and for the 1st time I am trying to fullfill the holes with Testors' Clear Parts Cement. Tomorrow will be dry and I will sand to see what I've got:

011.jpg

I think I will need to search for some informations regarding the cockpit. There are no Side Panels. :(

012.jpg

The tails is already cut. There is a strange "little ball" in the top of that "Tail Top" piece. In the real aircraft, we don't have that thing. One more thing to sand.

013.jpg

I started to drill the Flare Dispenser holes. More sanding here...

014.jpg

I cut off the little antena under the nose. The "F" version didn't have it.

015.jpg

And finally, this is the way I left "him" tonight:

016.jpg

Tonight Plastic Soundtrack: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

See you tomorrow!

Paul.

Well... Your stupid friend here didn't pay attention and fullfilled a hole that must be open: The hole where will fit the landing gear's leg. I already took off the Clear Glue in that hole:

017.jpg

I scratchbuilded a throttle:

018.jpg

I am planning to add some buttons and other things in the cockpit, but I am still thinking how I will do that...

White (acrylic) in the landing gear bays:

019.jpg

I didn't find the exact reference for the colour of the cockpit, so I painted with Humbrol Matt 64 (enamel):

020.jpg

021.jpg

I realize people are visiting the thread but are not posting your comments. Please, all comments are welcome. Even if you want to say "You build like ****!". Any ideas are welcome too. IMHO, the reason to enjoy a Group Build is to raise our level of skills and this just can be reached with the help of our friends.

Thanks for visiting!

Paul.

P.S.: Sound Track for afternoon modeling: Evanescence - Fallen.

Edited by Paul - Brazil

Nice work so far, I like the addition detail you're doing to the chaff dispensers. For the cockpit on mine I used Tamiya Neutral Grey, as it seemed close to my eye, plus it was all I had. Besides, my cockpit will all be buttoned up anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your words. I use to paint my models with the colours that "looks like", I don't have conditions to buy all colours I would like. If I could, I would have 10.000 paint cans here. :)

Best!

Paul.

It happened a typical crazy modeler thing tonight...

I've painted the side panels in black:

022.jpg

023.jpg

When I'd start the detailing job, I didn't like what I was looking at. It was really disgusting. So I scan a decal from a 1/48th Scale model and reduce the size to 1/72nd. Printed in a Glossy Paper and glued in the place. I'll do the same process for the Front Panel. The prints has 2,5 mm wide.

024.jpg

025.jpg

The next task will be detailling and painting the ejection seat.

Cheers!

Paul.

Here I go...

Some green in the seat, some black in the "Resting Heads" (or whatever is the name of this):

026.jpg

I hate this: The painting it's look nice, but... Take the cam and set the Macro to as close as possible, the painting looks like a :angrysoapbox.sml: !!!

Belts were made from that Metal Capsule from the champagne/wine bottles:

027.jpg

Grey in the belts, steel in the belt-tips:

028.jpg

I still can't make nice "belt tips" on 1/72. The only way I like are the Photo-Etched Sets. Luckly, when I close the cockpit, they almost would disappear.

Best!

Paul.

Hi Stebos,

As you can see, the result is not "Perfect!", but gets a little better than to keep empty:

029.jpg

In the picture above, the Control Stick is already in its place.

Some weight in the nose:

030.jpg

To keep the weight inside the nose, I used "Multi-Tak":

031.jpg

I think you have the same product in UK, but the name is "Blue Tak". Am I right?

The wings were glued together and sanded:

032.jpg

The same for the two halves of the fuselage:

033.jpg

This area will need some Putty and sanding:

034.jpg

Two pictures of the cockpit:

035.jpg

036.jpg

If I have the time, I will take more photos of the cockpit tomorrow, with the Daylight.

Cheers!

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!

I am sorry for my absence, but I changed my room for upstairs. Now, I have some order in the chaos. :)

It was needed to use Putty and sand three places.

Where the wings fits with the fuselage (front and rear):

040.jpg

041.jpg

And the upper part of the fuselage:

042.jpg

I painted in white the place in the fuselage where the Air Intakes will fit...

043.jpg

... and inside the Air Intakes:

044.jpg

After that, I use Maskol to protect the White:

045.jpg

Some Tamiya's Tape and I painted the Red parts:

046.jpg

Right now, the Red is having its time to dry.

Best!

Paul.

Hi Andy! Hi Periklis!

Thanks for visiting and thanks for the comments! :thumbsup:

Something was strange in this Skyhawk... and I'd found what it is! I used the wrong piece for the Tail Top! shy.gif So, I took off the wrong piece and put the right one in the place:

047.jpg

Some Putty and sanding will be needed and... I need to pay more attention in the Instructions Manual! ermm.png

More two pieces in the tail. I don't remember the name in english...

048.jpg

The Air Intakes are already in its place. Some Putty and sanding here too...

049.jpg

The Exhaust Pipe was painted in Flat Black (inside)/Steel (Outside):

050.jpg

I hope tomorrow I can post here something more about this little one.

Once again, thanks for visiting and have a nice thursday!

Paul.

Hi all!

This afternoon, I cut, sand and glued all the pieces for the under surface. I realize it was non-sense to paint in white the landing gear bays, once whole the aircraft is white in its under surface. All the other colors (non-white) will be painted with the pieces already in its places.

051.jpg

Starts to look like an Skyhawk:

052.jpg

Best!

Paul.

Hi Folks!

Up to ten minutes ago, I was working in the Scooter. I've painted all that should be White. Under surfaces, the control surfaces, external fuel tank and wheels:

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

I think tomorrow I can go back to the cockpit. I need to finish it to paint the gray. Talking about... I need help! The gray color for the upper surfaces... Italeri tells in the Instruction Manual to paint with "Dark Gull Gray". I think it's too dark. For the pictures I see from Vietnam times, it should be "Light Gull Grey", "Light Aircraft Grey" or some like this...

I am thinking about "Humbrol Enamel 147". What do you tell me? Please, all comments are very welcome!

Cheers!

Paul.

P.S.: While I was at workbench, I was listening "Blizzard - Echoes Of War". For those whom like Movies Soundtracks, I can tell you: This is a great CD. Contains the most pretty songs from Blizzard Games, like: Diablo II, World Of Warcraft, Starcraft...

Looking good Paul :thumbsup2:

For the Light Gull Grey, you'll be wanting to use FS 36440. If you're using Humbrol, Hu 129 gives a pretty good match, though personally I found the Xtracolor equivalent, X137, to be even better.

HTH, keep up the good work :)

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I don't have any Xtracolors in my workbench, but I have Humbrol 129! :winkgrin:

Today I didn't get nice progress. Just add a HUD, because the front of the cockpit was too empty.

056.jpg

And with cooper wire I made the ejection seat "thing". I painted in yellow and tomorrow I will paint the black strips. Looks like I will have to work again in the upper part of the frontal panel, just in front of the HUD. The black color shows the sanding work there, was not enough.

057.jpg

Thanks for visiting and feel free to post your comments. All ideas, tips, corrections and comments are welcome!

Best!

Paul.

Hi all,

I made the corrections in the upper part of the frontal panel (close to the HUD) and painted the black strips on ejection "things":

058.jpg

Here it's the little one, whole masked, waiting for the painting:

059.jpg

And here, the basic colors were already applied:

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

Now it's time for the other colours: black here, red there, silver here and there... I hope I can have new pictures still this weekend.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to post your comments!

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Those will be the ejection seat firing handles.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph!

The one above the pilot's head will fire the ejection seat and the second one, in the right side of the seat will get the pilot apart from the seat. Right?

Cheers!

Paul.

Hi all!

Running against time... Some more things done.

Flat black in the nose (Anti-Glare), refueling probe and dorsal antenna; Red in the Nav Light, in the little light in the "hunchback" and in the landing gear covers; Green in the Nav Light; A mix of white + yellow in the nose; A mix of aluminum + black in the guns:

063.jpg

Using a pencil, I painted the details in the landing gear bays. IMHO, the landing gear bays doesn't have too much details, so I didn't want to waste time looking for the right colors or I would start to scratch and would spend one month just in this "sector".

064.jpg

Some minutes ago, I painted the external fuel tank (the other half) and the arresting hook.

065.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to view my building and thanks again for your comments!

Cheers!

Paul.