Gloster Gladiator

After all the fun with my last Roden kit, I really don't know why I am doing this one other than madness, but I do like the Gladiator. I am doing the Pre-war Gladiator so a nice Silver winged biplane for a change - no masking and no freehand cammo.

Starts with assembling the cowling, using blu-tak to hold everything together while the glue dried.

P1010839.jpg

P1010840.jpg

A small amount of filling, then primed with Alclad Grey primer and sprayed 2 shades of Alclad Aluminium - Dark Aluminium on the interior and Polished Aluminium on the outside.

P1010841.jpg

P1010842.jpg

Assembling the engine, painted with Boltgun and a black wash, with the aluminium pieces sprayed with Alclad Aluminium.

P1010843.jpg

Gave the cowling a quick oil wash along the panel lines

P1010847.jpg

Then fitted all of the exhaust ejector stubs, and gave the hub an oil wash.

P1010848.jpg

P1010849.jpg

As normal, comments and suggestions welcomed.

Peter

Nice start Peter, are you using kit decals, what are they like? Planning on going to town with the rigging?

I was thinking of getting this kit as my introduction to Bi-planes and the dreaded rigging, so be interesting to see it being built.

Quite a big update for today as I got quite a lot done.

First thing I did was mask off the area of the collector ring, and add the panel line for the back of the collector. I then sprayed it with some Vallejo Liquid Silver Copper paint.

P1010850.jpg

Once this had dried, I gave it a quick oil wash first with black, then the front portion with some blue, both heavily thinned. Then a quick rub with a cotton bud and it looks a lot more like the real thing.

P1010851.jpg

P1010852.jpg

Next up the propeller - first sprayed with Vallejo model air 'wood', then a coat of Klear.

P1010853.jpg

Once the Klear had dried, on with some raw umber oil paint. Then using a brush you have strimmed to stubby bristles, drag the paint along the grain. Each pull clean the brush in turps and dry on a paper towel. This lets you remove the oil paint in streaks, giving a nice woodgrain effect. Then a coat of Klear and the props done.

P1010857.jpg

Next the Instrument panel - painted black, leaving the dials clear - then added the decals to the back for the instruments - these work quite well though you have to trim the decal film very close to the dials. Then a quick drybrush over the front, and a drop of klear in the dials.

P1010854.jpg

The rest of the cockpit was assembled and given a quick oil wash to dirty it up a bit.

P1010855.jpg

P1010856.jpg

Finally I closed up the fuselage which is a little tricky - no locating pins, and you have to get everything inside lined up.

P1010858.jpg

P1010859.jpg

Comments welcomed as always

Peter

Peter,

Nice work, loved the photo of your finger nails 'painted' by the spray, struck a cord with me. seeing nails covered in paint for 4-5 days afterwards, let alone questions about it.....

Keep going, will keep up to date with this build..

Colin

Today's update

The prop was dry, so I rotated the engine to the correct angle, and fitted the prop.

P1010864.jpg

temporarily fitted the side doors, and masked the cockpit.

P1010865.jpg

then drilled out the holes for the rigging attachment points - using Bob's buckles again.

P1010867.jpg

P1010868.jpg

For those who haven't seen them - Bob's buckles

P1010869.jpg

Fitted them to the wings

P1010870.jpg

Fitted the wings and tail

P1010871.jpg

Pre-shading

P1010872.jpg

Then sprayed over the top with Citadel Mithril Silver.

P1010873.jpg

Peter

Just a quick update from this morning:

I gave the gladiator a quick wash with Promodeller Dark dirt wash:

P1010874.jpg

Then Fitted the upper wing, gluing the outer struts first with CA, then fitting the wing, then fitting the inner struts. I gave the model a light misting of heavily thinned Mihral Silver and I am now letting everything dry off before starting the rigging this afternoon.

P1010875.jpg

Peter

This afternoon - the rigging.

First glue one one of the Aeroclub Rigging elastic to one of bob's buckles.

P1010876.jpg

Then pull through the other buckle, pull tight, and place a drop of superglue and hold. Then trim off the excess with a scalpel. Just take your time and hey presto 3 hours work later you have -

P1010877.jpg

P1010878.jpg

P1010879.jpg

P1010880.jpg

Now given her a coat of Klear and leaving until tomorrow, when I can get the decals on.

Peter

I have finished this today - I will take some decent photos and post, but for the moment here are some quick photos while it's all drying. The decals once again split up a bit, even though I had coated them with liquid decal film, but I managed to jigsaw them together, apart from the upper wing roundels, which are the wrong style.

P1010881.jpg

P1010882.jpg

P1010883.jpg

P1010884.jpg

P1010885.jpg

I have really enjoyed this build - it can be a tricky kit but it looks like a Gladiator.

Peter