Revell 1:72 Type VIIC U-Boat

Somebody please remind me that starting a 10 minute job at 10pm - that will take two hours and a lot of stress - is not a good idea! :(

OK - first pass black oil paint smeared all over the hull and polished off with kitchen paper and cotton ear buds - and knocking off half the handrails in the process:

156ju52142.JPG

156ju52143.JPG

156ju52144.JPG

156ju52145.JPG

156ju52146.JPG

Conning tower not done yet - hopefully you can see a difference?

Surface detail really starting to 'pop out' - just not sure if she's going too dark...

We'll see.

Next stop some detail painting to the conning tower - a black wash - then some very small rust stains...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Aha, progress! Looking rather good Iain. And I agree...never start something late at night which could result in a couple of hours work and unneeded breakages. Been there, done that :lol:

That said, I'm really liking what you've been doing to this sub. Just a few things to finish on my bench and I'll be starting mine soon.

Regard

Andy

Aaarrrgh...

There are days when it just doesn't go right...

There are days when you want to throw everything in the bin...

This is one of them.

Oil wash on conning tower - going nicely - then one of the swordfish decals 'dissolves' - cos I obviously haven't sealed it properly with enough acrylic varnish... :shithappens:

So try and get all oil off with white spirit - then knock off handrail in process - lost - presumably down sink...

Haven't binned it - yet - I have to much time invested. Going to let everything dry and look again tomorrow - I guess worst case is a strip and re-paint - a pity cos it was looking really good.

I need a beer - and we haven't got any... :deadhorse:

Bog, bog, bog...

I need a hobby to de-stress!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Really enjoying watching this take shape Iain

those figures are bleedin bonkers ????

why do they do that make em so small i mean

still the " Boot" as commingo n amazingly

jim

There is something about a sub that just spurs the imagination....This one is no exception..very, very good.

• 1 month later...

Lovely work Iain, the weathering is a treat. I hope to adapt the salt masking technique for my Tornado (camo grey showing through where the ARTF camo is coming off), any thoughts? The U-boat looks great, can't wait to see the figures done. Top notch! :speak_cool:

James

Edited by James G

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK - Today - after lots of faffing about I've got the ALPS printer sort of working from my wife's old laptop...

Sooo - model given another scrub in the bath to clear of builders dust (victim of beieng upstairs near the kitchen work) and new swordfish applied to starboard side of conning tower.

Now soaking in decal softener but hopefully I can make some progress and offer her up for the BM table at Telford...

Now - off to continue work on a couple of 21st Century 109s that are also behind the curve...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks really nice Siggy - thanks for posting :)

As to techniques - would love to hear how you've achieved those effects and any further progress...

I haven't added any rust to mine yet - I must crack on - just never seem to be in right frame of mind at the moment...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Looks really nice Siggy - thanks for posting :)

As to techniques - would love to hear how you've achieved those effects and any further progress...

I haven't added any rust to mine yet - I must crack on - just never seem to be in right frame of mind at the moment...

Iain

Nothing more complicated than rust, salt and the top-coat I'm afraid. And that was about as far as I got. I'll get around to finishing it one day. Maybe. ;)

Hi all,

New to the forum and soaking up the talents on display here! I am currently building the VIIC/41 from Revell with Nautilus deck/eduard etches. After that is the VIIc which hope to do as U96.

Iain I read somewhere that you may be willing to sell some of the Sawfish decals as I can't get the ULAD set from anywhere for love nor money!

If you have any to sell I'd be interested.

Will post some screenies when I have made a bit of progress. Gone insane drilling out free flooding holes!! :wacko:

Best wishes

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

All washed.

Need to get another couple of tins of WEM paint - but plan to finish in time for Telford - we'll see.

Touch-ups to repaired sections needed - then matt varnish - then rust/waethering powders - then final details and done.

Now - thought - do I mask off area below waterline and leave in a glossy/wet look with upper sections matt - still pondering on that.

re2005448.JPG

re2005449.JPG

re2005450.JPG

re2005451.JPG

re2005452.JPG

re2005453.JPG

re2005454.JPG

Model still drying out in photos...

Iain