Revell 1:72 Type VIIC U-Boat

Have stopped worrying about the conning tower markings for the moment - have been making further progress on the hull:

I want some subtle weathering of the Dunkelblaugrau and so - first some heaviey patches - masked with Maskol

uboat018.JPG

uboat019.JPG

Then a quick spray of water - and salt sprinkled liberally:

uboat020.JPG

uboat021.JPG

uboat022.JPG

Now to let the water dry and another couple of coats of Dunkelblaugrau.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Masking, maskol and salt removed.

Needs some touch-ups and a blast of the darker grey over the decks.

Then a good soapy scrub down in the bath and some gloss varnish ready for decals, oil washes, wear and tear and a little judicious rust :)

uboat023.JPG

uboat024.JPG

Hopefully you can see the effect I was trying to achieve:

uboat025.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Some excellent weathering tips here, taking notes for when I build mine! (no place to spray such a big model, can't go outside).

As for the markings, it doesn't look quite deep enough in tone to be black, though fading might well be the cause of that. When I come across issues like that I go along with what looks most pleasing.

I've always been wary of WEM paints as they're enamel and out of my experience, but with picking up a few recent naval subjects and their excellent rep I might have to try some out.

Some excellent weathering tips here, taking notes for when I build mine! (no place to spray such a big model, can't go outside).

As for the markings, it doesn't look quite deep enough in tone to be black, though fading might well be the cause of that. When I come across issues like that I go along with what looks most pleasing.

I've always been wary of WEM paints as they're enamel and out of my experience, but with picking up a few recent naval subjects and their excellent rep I might have to try some out.

Thanks - I'm learning from this too! ;)

Yup - I think later in life it wasn't black - comparing with other tones in the photo's - so may just use the ULAD decals I have that are blue.

Must admit I'd been moving away from enamels (almost completely) - but these are working fine... And the colour are actually quite complex - not the plain greys I expected.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

• 4 weeks later...

OK - Been a bit slow whilst I sorted badges ad got everything together to have the ALPS printer running again...

uboat026.JPG

Now have decals (on white - that doesn't show in picture) in black with red tongue - which is the most educated guess I have on the originals... Graphics created in CorelDRaw - from scans of the ULAD decals and tweaks according to photos.

Have been tidying up the paint and tonight added more salt 'weathering mask' prior to spraying the decks in the darker blue grey - maybe tomorrow...

uboat029.JPG

uboat028.JPG

uboat027.JPG

More soon...

Iain

Very impressive painting!

Das Boot is one of my favorite movies and I am also building U96. Soon I will post some of my progres!

First class build. Wonderfull looking model. Thank you for the very helpful build series of photos. Carl T. :speak_cool:

BTW - If anyone wants some 'corrected' U96 Swordfish decals I might be persuaded to print some more off for a small fee to cover materials... :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - a little further...

Decks sprayed and salt washed off the hull - and hand railing knocked off whilst scrubbing in the bath with a tooth brush now replaced ;)

Conning tower glossed and decals applied - 2 x home made swordfish and 1 snorting cow from the ULAD sheet.

Decals now soaked in setting solution - the marks you see on the black of the swordfish in the pics won't be visible.

Nearly ready for the real fun - some detail painting first - then out with the oil paints for some serious weathering!! :evil_laugh:

153uboat0002.JPG

153uboat0003.JPG

153uboat0004.JPG

153uboat0005.JPG

153uboat0006.JPG

153uboat0007.JPG

153uboat0008.JPG

153uboat0009.JPG

153uboat0010.JPG

More soon!

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Iain, can you explain how your salt masking works please. I've got my sub to finish and love the effect you've got using it.

Iain, can you explain how your salt masking works please. I've got my sub to finish and love the effect you've got using it.

It's very simple...

I use a plant sprayer to wet the area I want to salt mask with water - then sprinkle on table salt granules.

If too much water the salt dissolves and you get more of a splotchy, rather than scratched, effect - and that is what I went for on the hull.

Let everything dry thoroughly - then simply airbrush over the top in very thin layers.

Once paint has properly dried - it's off to the bathroom for a dip in the bath (warm water) and a good scrub with a toothbrush. Salt should all dissolve away - but worth giving it a good going over and thorough rinse as the salt can leave a residue...

Let the water dry and you're ready fo the next stage :)

On the deck I've concentrated on 'salting' the areas that would get most wear - and have a wood colour and the mid grey showing through the dunkelblugrau.

Others around these parts have been using Marmite - haven't tried it yet - but looks like a very similar effect.

HTH?

Have fun...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Nice work Iain, am liking the new sawfish colours. I'm looking forward to seeing how you sort the rigging out for it - something I know I have the amazing capacity to feck up big time!

But it's looking great so far. If mine turns out half as good, I'll be well chuffed!

Cheers Andy,

Not given a lot of thought to the rigging yet...

Probably won't use the supplied thread - and I suspect I'll be re-modelling some of the insulators - if I get that far I will post some pix :)

Want to clear the decks over the next week, or so, and crack on with the Ju-52...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks - progress has been positively glacial as I've been working on real aeroplanes and going flying since the sun poked it's head above the parapet...

Still - managed to get the hull washed (yet again!) and everything glossed ready for the oil paint weathering.

Also dug out some figures - not sure which ones I'll use yet - but prolly just the resin conning tower set...

153uboat0011.JPG

153uboat0012.JPG

153uboat0013.JPG

153uboat0014.JPG

153uboat0015.JPG

153uboat0016.JPG

153uboat0017.JPG

153uboat0018.JPG

153uboat0019.JPG

153uboat0020.JPG

153uboat0021.JPG

153uboat0022.JPG

153uboat0023.JPG

Also got the finat coat of satin black on the base plinth and the aluminium pedestals polished.

More this week, but I think she may turn out OK :frantic:

Edited by 32SIG

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Looks like the resin figures are 'vertically challenged' to use the modern vernacular...

Assembled standing figure only to put him next to other figures in same scale and find hes rather short!

So - boots off again and short lengths of carved sprue added to legs - result - one taller chappie rather than a Smurf.

Need to do the two seated ones now as they look too small as well!

153uboat0024.JPG

153uboat0025.JPG

153uboat0026.JPG

Blue figure is from the Revell Kreigsmarine set - vinyl - not my favourite material. Why can't they mould these figures in hard styrene?? :(

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Looking good. but please move the right hand resin figure, he looks like he is having a poo through the rails :)

LOL :)

Not sure I'll be using him atm - not overly impressed...

Mind ewe - they're pretty 'armless at the mo... ;)

Iain

well hang a roll on the rail for him :) but bar that the sub is staggering :D

Now there's and idea... ;)

Thanks for kind words - I really want to get this off the decks now and concentrate on the Ju-52. Will see if I can make some more progress this weekend...

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

Have gone off figures for the time being... :deadhorse:

Gonna start some weathering with oil paint b4 bed.

Perhaps I'll re-visit some crew once the sub is complete.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG