Revell 1:72 Type VIIC U-Boat

Just started painting my U-Boat and on a roll...

All vents and drains in the hull have been opened up - including the decks which where thinned with a scalpel from the reverse side until the holes were open. Deck is paper thin in places.

For any that missed some pix from another thread this is where I was prior to today - more pix overnight! :evil_laugh:

britmodeller001.JPG

britmodeller003.JPG

britmodeller004.JPG

britmodeller005.JPG

britmodeller008.JPG

Edited by 32SIG

2am update...

Wood deck colour and pre-shading on. Wood colour will be 'salted' ready for greys then post paint washed to remove and show chips through paint to wood (that's the theory!) :cyclops:

uboat001.JPG

uboat002.JPG

uboat003.JPG

uboat004.JPG

uboat005.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

That IS looking good.....!!

p.s. what is the tooth brush for.......?

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

Hi folks...

Thanks for the comments - just waiting for the water I sprayed on to 'hold' the salt to dry before I pre-shade the deck and then do the Schlickgrau - WEM Colourcoats - heavily thinned and built up very gradually.

Toothbrush handy earlier for quick clearing of slots and vents - all of which have been opened up, including the deck...

If I can get the water to dry I'll post some more updates...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - I pre-shaded the deck and now the first grey is on - well thinned and built up gently.

Hopefully you can see the pre-shading showing through.

Need to let paint harden off now so that I can remove the salt, mask and paint the Dunkelblaugrau bottom of the hull.

More tomorrow (perhaps!) :)

uboat006.JPG

uboat007.JPG

uboat008.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - Salt now washed away and some touch-ups on the Schlickgrau.

Some chores to do while I let the paint harden and it's masking time ready to paint the bottom of the hull.

Guess I was a little optomistic thinking I'd paint her overnight - but I've got used to using Acrylics for last few years and they are a lot quicker.

Wanted to use the WEM paints on this one though - for the colour matches.

She's starting to come to life now - looking forward to doing the weathering :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Bu**er...

Just been outside sanding down the MDF base plinth (again) and giving it another coat of Halfords Satin Black on the patio and it hailstones on the wet paint!

Put back into the garage to let the paint - and the water dry... :shithappens:

Ho hum

Wanted the base to be simple and stark - hence satin black. Pedestals are alluminium tube set unto brass sleeves in the base - and in the model. These tubes will be polished when it all comes together - and should set of the weathered U-96 nicely :)

Iain

Edit - sun's out again - good old British weather!!

Edited by 32SIG

Sub masked up and first coat of WEM Dunkelblaugrau is on.

Plan is - once hardened, to add random patches of maskol and salt on the lower regions of the saddle tanks and then add more grey. Once masking removed this should replicate some of the peeling paint seen on U-Boats in dry dock.

Pleased with the WEM paint - sprays nicely (thinning 50% white spirit) and works well in this application as it's very fine pigment and translucent - so works well with pre-shading/multiple layers.

BTW - first time trying pre-shading. Always thought it can be too much on an aeroplane - but a U-Boat - well - it seems to do the trick!

Oh - and repairs needed - have knocked off one of the railings and managed to lift some paint that will need touching in with the airbrush :(

More tomorrow (perhaps!) :)

uboat009.JPG

uboat010.JPG

uboat011.JPG

uboat012.JPG

uboat013.JPG

uboat014.JPG

uboat015.JPG

uboat016.JPG

uboat017.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Lovely work...looks like you've sold me on the WEM paints too...just need to clear the bench of everything to start mine. So, I'll be watching this closely.

Edited by AndyL

Nice one...I was going to ask you which option you were going to do anyway, after all there's plenty to choose from on that Ulad sheet. I don't know which one I'll go for, maybe U201 with the snowmen on the conning tower.

Maybe we ought to get yours, mine, and Mike's togther at SMW this year :D

Then again, think of the display space we'd need :lol:

Yeah - was scratching my head for ages wondering which one to do - then I watched my copy of Das Boot again and decision made - although there do seem to be contradictory opinions on the colour of the swordfish - from black (as film), to green, to the blue on the Ulad sheet.

Was torn between using these - or making new black one's on the ALPS - but probably go with the blue...

3 U-Boats together at the Nats would be fun! :)

This project was started as a bit of relief from self inflicted AMS and it's doing it's job - I know bu**er all about U-Boats (although I do now have some books) and I'm aiming for 'essence of grey wolf' rather than 100% historical accuracy.

This is the most FUN project I've done in a LONG time :)

Right - Xtracrylix gloss varnish now on the conning tower - coats for the use of times two... Pre-shading looks stunning now a coat of varnish his evened everything up.

Off to have a bath - may do the swordfish afterwards - then I can get the last handrails in position and paint details/weather the conning tower.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Looking forward to seeing more when ready. I will be drilling out the various slots and holes too, as it will look much more realistic.

For a good mooch round U Boat ops try http://www.uboat.net/ - that's one quality site! Shows the Das Boot set too.

This is the section on U Boats with emblems http://www.uboat.net/special/emblems/listing_boats.html

Edited by AndyL

Argh...

I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure...

Well - this so called cure for AMS is stalling because of the colour of the swordfish:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=95540

Mutter, mutter, mutter...

So - blue decal - or a new one in black?? :banghead:

Anyone got a time machine I can borrow? :suicide:

Iain

Edited by 32SIG
  • Like 1

Argh...

I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure...

Well - this so called cure for AMS is stalling because of the colour of the swordfish:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=95540

Mutter, mutter, mutter...

So - blue decal - or a new one in black?? :banghead:

Anyone got a time machine I can borrow? :suicide:

Iain

Maybe you ought to ask these questions in a sub-forum somewhere.

I'm enjoying watching this build....nice work to date :popcorn:

Leaning towards black with red mouth - which means firing up CorelDraw and the ALPS

Mind ewe... If I print a full sheet off I can always flog the spares I guess... :rolleyes:

Oh - and looks like the front of the tower differs from the kit in that it doesn't have the recess with the spark plug looking thingy.

See - told you I know nothing about U-Boats! ;)

u-96.jpg

Then again (following pix from http://www.9thflottilla.de):

9u96_2.jpg

9u96_3.jpg

9u96_4.jpg

9u96_6.jpg

And this is the period I want to do - with the snorting cow on the front:

9u96_9.jpg

Hmmm - I guess the colour may also have been changed over time - perhaps blue is OK after all...

I HATE MODELS, I HATE MODELS - so much for AMS relief! :banghead:

Anyone got a coin handy?

Iain

Edited by 32SIG