After seeing my loft........Now here is my Cellar!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:57 PM, JWM said:

Terrible story! But the water (even muddy) did not really destroyed them I hope. But the cleaning could demand more work then doing new one...

I am so sorry

Regards

J-W

Cheers J-W. 

On 7/10/2020 at 1:20 AM, Lightningboy2000 said:

:gobsmacked:Jeeeeze! 1/72 Heaven!

Martin

LOL,.... not any more it isn`t!!

On 7/10/2020 at 3:16 AM, Harold55 said:

This is sad to hear with such a fabulous collection.  Would make for a good evening of cleaning for a modeling club (probably just a start) if you belong to one.

Thanks mate,..... I`m not in a modelling club and many are just fit fo the skip now, they didn`t just get wet, the plastic shelves floated and tipped over too!

On 7/10/2020 at 9:52 AM, Swifty said:

Wow, a truly stunning collection.

Thanks Swifty.....it was! Had a disaster and many have to be trashed now. 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:19 AM, Epeeman said:

Fantastic collection, mate!

I wish I had that much display space at home - you must have a very supportive/understanding missus as well!!!!

Regards

Dave

I sure do Dave,..... she is amazing,.... I`m a very lucky lad and I take up far too much room!

On 7/10/2020 at 12:39 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

What an absolutely glorious collection of aircraft models!

I think I need to get a wiggle on and sort out the loft conversion sooner rather than later....but with a mini me on their way, finding the time for kit building will become increasingly more difficult.

Love that there is also a Beverley in your collection too....an aircraft that has a special place in my families history.

Thanks and glad you like them,..... I have four Beverley`s,..... two vacuforms and two resin Magna Models kits,...... unfortunately the wings on the Magna kits have drooped and look really stupid now,......... on one the wing tips are almost touching the ground! I wish somebody would do a decent 1.72nd scale kit as I love the Bev too!  

On 7/10/2020 at 4:22 AM, kapam said:

What an extraordinary display of built models!

Very sorry to hear that a few succumbed to a basement flood - but having the photos of the collection might ease the pain somewhat.

Cheers mate,...... yeah at least I took some photos back in the day!

All the best and cheers again folks,

Tony

• Thanks 1

And I thought I was a modeller with a display cabinet with 120ish models and another 50 or so boxed in the attic- clearly I am just dabling part time in the hobby-  Truly amazing Tony.

Gosh Tony- so sorry to that you have had a flood and lost many of your models.   You must be feeling very sad, I know I would be.

• Like 1

That is an impressive collection Tony. I admire your patience tenacity , and commitment. I often wonder how many kits I have made in my time?  I have a very bad habit of throwing them away. I have tried to stop that now and box them up and put them away.  Out of sight stops me destroying them up to now. I wonder what the term is for that?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

And I thought I was a modeller with a display cabinet with 120ish models and another 50 or so boxed in the attic- clearly I am just dabling part time in the hobby-  Truly amazing Tony.

Gosh Tony- so sorry to that you have had a flood and lost many of your models.   You must be feeling very sad, I know I would be.

LOL,.... I`m obviously just a hoarder Colin! No worries re the flood,.. these thing happen.

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

That's a crying shame Tony,hope things get sorted soon!

Yeah cheer Steve,..... I need to go down and assess the damage soon.

30 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

That is an impressive collection Tony. I admire your patience tenacity , and commitment. I often wonder how many kits I have made in my time?  I have a very bad habit of throwing them away. I have tried to stop that now and box them up and put them away.  Out of sight stops me destroying them up to now. I wonder what the term is for that?  

Thanks mate,........ I sometimes have a cull so it isn`t unknown, I`ve blown a few up in my younger days too,........even put one on a death slide attached to a clothes hangar where it slid down in flames until they reached the lighter fluid inside a tin foil `tank'!  

Cheers folks

Tony

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well,.... I binned over 100 models yesterday,..... broke my heart,...... but I have some set aside to try and save,...... and here are the first two that I intend to have a go at,..... they are missing some parts from when they fell off the shelves,.... but I should be able to manage;

Bristol Freighter,..... main problem is that one wheel is missing,...... plus it is saturated inside and out;

DSCF8391.jpg

And the Aeroclub Varsity,..... again, saturated inside and out;

DSCF8393.jpg

DSCF8394.jpg

They both need to be broken down to component parts,..... dried out,.....exterior paint removed,..... and start again! OR,... call the BBC`s Repair Shop,...LOL!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Great to see the fight back has started Tony.

So so sorry to hear of the kits being thrown out, hopefully seeing these being restored to their former glory will restore your Mojo.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see the fight back has started Tony.

So so sorry to hear of the kits being thrown out, hopefully seeing these being restored to their former glory will restore your Mojo.

Cheers Pat 

Yeah cheers Pat,..... I`ve been looking for something to save but most are just too far gone and mould has set in too. I have a SARO rocket fighter where the white paint has just turned filthy with the water getting under the varnish,...... seems a shame to throw but it really does look a mess. I might try to strip t back to the plastic?

5 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I'm gutted for you, Tony. Must have been heartbreaking considering the work involved. I hope you're able to salvage as much as possible. The Varsity and Freighter are too good to bin!

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks Mark,..... I`ve cleaned them up a bit,.... but they both need to be ripped open, disassembled and sanding back to the plastic,..... they are simply sodden. I`ve got them drying out in the portch now to see how they get on. As I said to Pat,..... mould has got into a lot of them too. 

Oh Tony what a shame, such a sad loss after all your superb efforts in building your models into you amazing collection.  Bloomin nightmare.  I hope you can rescue as many possible and get them back to their former glory. Sorry to hear about this Tony.

All the best

Chris

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Oh Tony what a shame, such a sad loss after all your superb efforts in building your models into you amazing collection.  Bloomin nightmare.  I hope you can rescue as many possible and get them back to their former glory. Sorry to hear about this Tony.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,....... yeah it broke my heart yesterday binning so many models and breaking some up for spares,....... my spares box has certainly grown and on the bright side I have now got a set of wooden propellers for my Cessna Crane courtesy of an Airfix Anson which had been in Irish markings but had become a host to a colony of fungus! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On the larger scale of things, it was a relatively minor catastrophe that befell you Tony, no lives lost, serious injuries to life & limb etc but bloody norah, it would gut me to hell something like this. I admire your fortitude & I'm guessing command of anglosaxon colloquialisms. :) Glad to see the old Kiwi bristol made it through though. 

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

just seen this resurrected thread.

My mind is busy boggling... And this was 11 years ago. Extrapolating is giving me vertigo.

That's a fair amount of the OPEC crude oil production you've got there...

Am I glad I do not have a loft, nor a cellar!

JR

• Like 1

I believe you can great results using Mr Muscle oven cleaner in a sealed bag, to remove all paint etc.

I haven't done it myself but if you use one of your bin candidates what's the harm ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a shame having to those all those models away fella.  Is the insurance able to cover some of the costs for some replacement models?

Ah well,..... yeah we are insured but I`m not claiming,...it only bumps your premium up anyway. I`ve enough models in the stash! 

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

On the larger scale of things, it was a relatively minor catastrophe that befell you Tony, no lives lost, serious injuries to life & limb etc but bloody norah, it would gut me to hell something like this. I admire your fortitude & I'm guessing command of anglosaxon colloquialisms. :) Glad to see the old Kiwi bristol made it through though. 

Steve.

Oh definitely Steve,..... that is the way I`m looking at it,...... a minor catastrophe describes it very well and I struggle getting down there anyway these days due to my injuries. My lovely missus has promised to rip out the damp shelves and re erect some plastic ones,.....she is a real star! Yeah,.... a few `bad words' were muttered but hey,..... we`ve had much worse over the years to cope with. If the Kiwi Bristol cannot be saved I`ll try to rescue the conversion parts, especially the vacuformed nose doors,.... and build another one,.... I have a Superfreighter kit,.....somewhere! There is also the new Valom kit,.... I may just treat myself to that?

1 hour ago, jean said:

Hi Tony,

just seen this resurrected thread.

My mind is busy boggling... And this was 11 years ago. Extrapolating is giving me vertigo.

That's a fair amount of the OPEC crude oil production you've got there...

Am I glad I do not have a loft, nor a cellar!

JR

Hiya JR,..... yeah quite a bit of plastic eh!  The cabinet in the living room is a newer addition,...... and some of the models have moved around a bit too over the years. 

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I believe you can great results using Mr Muscle oven cleaner in a sealed bag, to remove all paint etc.

I haven't done it myself but if you use one of your bin candidates what's the harm ?

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,..... yeah I`ve heard of Mr Muscle,..... might give it a go.... what is there to lose eh? 

41 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Incredible collection.  I now feel better about my own.  "Not so big",  comes to mind.

Thanks John,...... we all start with small collections!

35 minutes ago, redcap said:

Bloody brilliant and what a refreshing change to see an actual 'built collection' rather than a 'stash' of boxes just piled up one on top of the other.

Kudos mate!

Gary

Thanks Gary,...... at one time I wanted to open a model museum,..... but there would not be enough call for it,....... I`ve seen a few go under in touristy places like Haworth,.....so I wouldn`t stand a chance. I just like sharing my stuff on line with fellow Britmodellers. Like most modellers,..... I do have a stash of boxes too,.....like having a small model shop in the house!

Cheers fella`s,

Tony  

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Blimey, sorry to hear about the flood and the damage it caused to the models you made, I know how you must feel although nothing on this scale, I was packing my 1/72 Vickers Vanguard to go to a model show last year when a gust of wind picked the whole box up and flipped it out and causing to much damage for me to fix, but although I was very deflated as the model took me a year to complete, I think I realised that there are more important things in life than the model that was damaged.

• Like 2

Just come across this thread Tony, gutted about the collection but as everyone and yourself sa,y there are far worse things that can happen.

I've had great results soaking models with undiluted Dettol to strip paint/varnish, sometimes adhesive is loosened as well.

Davey.

• Like 1