ICM 1/48 Spitfire IXc (MJ255 VZ@S)

Well I've had a "dual diffusion" Easter and completed the camo. First was the lower surfaces in MSG :_

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

Thanks for looking. All comment and critique is most welcome.

Ian

Sorry Ian,

To be totally frank, it doesn't do it for me. It seems to have that "quilted" look about it that's seen so often these days, especially on luftwaffe subjects.

I applaud the skill and work that's gone into it though. Better than I could do.

Regards,

Dave.

Wonderful work :thumbsup2:

Thanks Mish!

Thanks Ian!

My pleasure John!

Sorry Ian,

To be totally frank, it doesn't do it for me. It seems to have that "quilted" look about it that's seen so often these days, especially on luftwaffe subjects.

I applaud the skill and work that's gone into it though. Better than I could do.

Regards,

Dave.

Dave, no need to apologise, I ask for comment and critique and I am grateful to you for your critique. The photos have perhaps magnified the contrast between the shades used a little, in reality the effect is quite subtle and adds a sense of depth and wear to the paintwork that is quite realistic IMHO. Additional stages of shading and weathering to blend in the decals will further bring things together tonally I'm sure.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Ian

Having completed the decalling and added a coat of Future I thought I'd take advantage of the gorgeous spring weather and take the latest series of progress shots "al fresco".

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

When the Future has cured it'll be on with the weathering ........

Thanks for looking. Comments and critique always welcome.

Ian

I must admit to being rather jealous of your modelling skills Ian. I only use my airbrush as a spraygun to be honest, so it's on with a blanket coat of grey/green or whatever. I'm not brave enough to try something like this yet, but I really enjoy watching other peoples models coming together with such great results.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Regards

Andy :)

Yup, I like it more and more. I know the colours are a little darker with a gloss finish than they will be under the final coat, but it's beginning to look lovely. Looking forward to seeing the next phase :). Great work as usual, Ian.

Just one small criticism; the landing gear does see a touch impractical...

OK, I'll get my :coat::winkgrin:

Absolutely superb! that looks really nicely weathered so far! i don't know whether it's just because of the gloss coat, but the markings look a bit too pristine for the weathered finish... i may be jumping the gun and you haven't got around to a finishing post-shade over the top... I am a huge fan of spitfires- you can never have enough of them, and hope to try some of the techniques you've used on my next one! Stunning work so far!

whether the finish looks realistic or not I have to admit I am a fan of the style and I too saw this article over on Hyperscale and have tried to use it, and i think you've done an excellent job.

On the camo did you mask spray the grey then mask and spray the green or did you cover in grey and then mask. I've done the former because its the only way I can see that you retain the base colour equally.

Many thanks for the comments and feedback, it is most appreciated.

I must admit to being rather jealous of your modelling skills Ian. I only use my airbrush as a spraygun to be honest, so it's on with a blanket coat of grey/green or whatever. I'm not brave enough to try something like this yet, but I really enjoy watching other peoples models coming together with such great results.

Thanks for sharing mate.

Regards

Andy :)

Andy, I'm very flattered by your comments. I assure you there is little skill involved in my builds. I think airbrushing is an "art" where the real knack is to really thin the paint and work in close to the model with a tight spray pattern. Doing this and using the "dual diffusion" technique has transformed the look of this model.

<Snip>

Just one small criticism; the landing gear does see a touch impractical...

OK, I'll get my :coat::winkgrin:

John, It was the little known "stilt undercarriage" tested in the wet weather prior to D-Day as a means to ensure that air cover could be supplied to the invasion from waterlogged airfields .................. :whistle:

Absolutely superb! that looks really nicely weathered so far! i don't know whether it's just because of the gloss coat, but the markings look a bit too pristine for the weathered finish... i may be jumping the gun and you haven't got around to a finishing post-shade over the top... I am a huge fan of spitfires- you can never have enough of them, and hope to try some of the techniques you've used on my next one! Stunning work so far!

Matt, the photos are of the part weathered model. I've now finished the weathering and will be applying a flat coat today. Everything should be blended together when that is done.

whether the finish looks realistic or not I have to admit I am a fan of the style and I too saw this article over on Hyperscale and have tried to use it, and i think you've done an excellent job.

On the camo did you mask spray the grey then mask and spray the green or did you cover in grey and then mask. I've done the former because its the only way I can see that you retain the base colour equally.

gcn, I'm a fan of the technique too. Some of the best builds I've ever seen have used it, the method is quite easy to use and gives a great result IMHO. To answer your question - I freehanded the Ocean Grey camo, masked that and then sprayed the green. It was the only way I could see that the base colour could be maintained too.

Thanks again for the feedback. I should have another update later, when I've got the flat coat on (weather and garden chores permitting .....)

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

Here's the promised update before I go out to tidy the winter debris in the garden.

Weathering was done using Windsor & Newton water soluble oils, as was the panel line wash, with the exhaust stains sprayed with Tamiya smoke, flat black, buff and sky grey and the gun stains sprayed using Tamiya smoke and flat black. The paint chipping was done with Citidel Mithril Silver.

Without further ado, on to the photos :-

DSC01463.jpg

Sorry John , she's still on her "experimental" undercarriage :winkgrin:

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

Arrghh, my Tornado GR1 build still taunts me from the "pending" position on my desk after 3 years ..........

DSC01471.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

DSC01481.jpg

Next up will be the painting and attachment of the "fiddly bits" so as there's not too many of those, I should have this one finished soon ........

Thanks for looking and any comments/critique you may wish to leave.

Ian

It's all pulling together very nicely Ian. Lovely piece of work :).

Sorry John , she's still on her "experimental" undercarriage :winkgrin:

I now have a mental image of the aircraft pogoing across the field, in true Terry Gilliam-esque style :D.

Yep, absolutely superb!

• 2 weeks later...

No, I'm sorry...

I really like it :D.

Seriously though, I'm impressed with the technique, and feel it gives a nice impression of a worn and well-used aircraft. I quite understand (and in some cases agree with) Dave's take on the "quilted" look that excessive weathering can sometimes produce, but I feel this is more a case of breaking up large areas of monotone. I feel it adds a huge amount to the realism of the model.

Great work Ian! Now, what's next? ;).

<Snip>

Great work Ian! Now, what's next? ;).

Thanks John, next up will be some blue things- a Spitfire PRXI for the Vacform GB and then a Mosquito PRXVI methinks ....

Ian, she looks a beaut, well done :goodjob:

Thanks Mish.

Ian

• 6 months later...

REALLY well done Ian!!!

I'm sitting on this side of the 'pond' with my mouth hanging open!! Gorgeous work!

I'm going to give this a go on my next project. Having done this, do you think it would be as effective on a smaller scale subject such as a Tamiya 1/48 scale RAF Mustang, or say a 1/144 Puma?

Nicely done mate.

Cheers

SLAVE

REALLY well done Ian!!!

I'm sitting on this side of the 'pond' with my mouth hanging open!! Gorgeous work!

I'm going to give this a go on my next project. Having done this, do you think it would be as effective on a smaller scale subject such as a Tamiya 1/48 scale RAF Mustang, or say a 1/144 Puma?

Nicely done mate.

Cheers

SLAVE

Thanks!!

My Spitfire was 1/48 so I assume that you meant a 1/72 scale Mustang? I see no reason why the technique shouldn't work in a smaller scale - you will just have to make the "blotches" of colour a little smaller and perhaps reduce the contrast between the lighter and darker tones and the base colour so that they don't appear too stark.

HTH,

Ian