ICM 1/48 Spitfire IXc (MJ255 VZ@S)

While taking a break from foiling my Lightning T4 I decided to make a start on a Spitfire IXc for the D-Day GB. Here's the obligatory box 'n bits shot :-

DSC01310.jpg

As a little tribute to my adopted home, she will be finished as MJ255 VZ-S of 412sqn flown by F/O H.G. Garwood which just made it past D-day before succumbing to engine failure and making a forced landing in Normandy on 11 June 1944. Markings are courtesy of the excellent Watermark Decals Canadian Spitfires D-Day decal set :-

DSC01313.jpg

More soon hopefully .........

Ian

Edited by Notdoneyet

• 5 weeks later...

After my lamentable non participation in the last (Tornado) GB I entered, I thought that I had better actually do something this time ............ So I've been spending some time this week gluing pieces of PE to cocktail sticks and my fingers. Eventually I've managed to transfer them to the relevant part of the Spitfire cockpit and splashed a little paint of the resulting assemblies :-

Cockpit floor with Eduard etch pedals, armour and seat frame and Ultracast seat with belts extended with Tamiya tape :-

DSC01358.jpg

IP with Eduard etch/acetate sandwich :-

DSC01361.jpg

Cockpit sidewalls with Eduard etch added and scratch built oxygen bottle, fuel hand pump and signalling switch box on the stbd sidewall.

DSC01353.jpg

I hope to get the fuselage buttoned up, wings and tailplanes added and some paint on over the weekend.

Comment and critique always appreciated and welcomed.

Ian

Oh I forgot to mention if you ditch the engine in that ICM kit you will find the fit of the nose components 1000 times easier.

Cheers

Thanks Darson :thumbsup: Having read about the fit problems with this kit I had decided to leave the engine out. As a result the nose and cowlings have fitted together perfectly as the following photos will show.........

The engine bay bulkhead was reduced in width by approx 1mm to prevent fuselage sides being forced out. This trimming enables the webbing on the wing roots to clear the lower wing undercarriage recess. I added the top and bottom cowling mounting strips to give some additional gluing surface :-

DSC01362.jpg

Once the bulkhead was glued I cemented the upper mounting strips in place :-

DSC01364.jpg

I then added the front bulkhead to which I'd added some brass tube to take the smaller tube I've added to the Ultracast spinner and added backing card to the exhaust slots:-

DSC01366.jpg

Then the upper cowling was glued in place :-

DSC01369.jpg

The fit is perfect as you can see ........... a little care and dry fitting is all that is required. So far this ICM kit has been a joy to build.

Next up I'll be fitting the wings and lower cowling and addressing the few sink marks on my early moulding.

Thanks for looking and any comments/critique you may have.

Ian

You sure made the nose look easy, I just posted my problem with the nose over on WIP board and it looks like crap compaired to yours. I am looking forward to seeing yours being finished. It is really a great job you are doing.

Dave

Now that's what I like! A thread that gets me inspired to actually start one of my ICM Spitfires. Trouble is, do I start the Mk.IX or the XVI? Decisions, decisions.... :undecided:

Many thanks for the kind comments :blush:

After adding the lower cowling to the nose I used some 25 gauge thinwall hypo tubing to scribe the fastener detail :-

DSC01385.jpg

Fitted a Falcon clearvac canopy and some more Ultracast bits (cannon covers and wing tips) from my goodies stash and masked up ready for priming :-

DSC01381.jpg

DSC01383.jpg

Next up, a visit to the paint shop for some primer and some Realistic Painting ...............

Ian

Hi Ian - looking pretty damn good so far mate!.

I'll be interested to see how the "realistic painting" comes out!

That's an interesting article, and I like the ideas the authors trying to convey. Its sort of what I was trying to do with my Hellcat and P40N builds - so its fascinating to see how different modellers have all come to the same kind of conclusion and approach the subject.

Watching with enthusiasm on this one now.

cheers

jonners

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jon, yup it is a very interesting article and an approach that has yeilded great results on builds that I have seen on the 'net. I particularly like the subtle shading/fading effects that are possible but I suspect I will have to train my airbrush "trigger finger" a fair bit.

Anyhoo, I've started on the "double diffusion" painting. After priming with Alclad Grey Primer the Spit was sprayed with a coat of Tamiya flat black :-

DSC01388.jpg

After which the sky fuselage band was sprayed and then she was masked up for the white D-Day stripes and as an undercoat for the yellow leading edge stripes :-

DSC01390.jpg

DSC01392.jpg

As I couldn't figure out how to lighten white I went with 3 levels of opacity over the black undercoat (ahhh, so that's what it's for!) - so instead of the base colour and a darker and lighter shade I used a thin coat of white (the dark shade) over-painted with another layer of white (the base shade) and finally a third layer of white (the light shade - curses no emoticon ....). These layers were applied in random "squiggles" which resulted in a varied, "blotchy" finish :-

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

Next up will be the spraying of the yellow l/e stipes and then the MSG undersurfaces.

Ian

I like the stripes. You see some really messy ones in contemporary photos, but this can be difficult to reproduce by using a brush as the result can look too coarse. The multi-layer technique can provide a variation in tone without trying to paint on actual brush marks.

As for the rest of the build I wish you had done this a year ago so I could follow it when building mine, which has turned out longer on one side than the other.

That's a fascinating painting technique - interestingly (to me at least) after I'd read the article, I picked up the April 2009 copy of FSM, only to find a build article by the same fellow detailing the technique there. Serendipity all over again? Or is that deja vu? ;).

Anyway, lovely work on the invasion stripes Ian. Really looking forward to seeing the next installment of this... always manage to pick up little nuggets of good info from your work.

Edited by John Laidlaw

Many thanks for the comments John and David.

Well I've had a "dual diffusion" Easter and completed the camo. First was the lower surfaces in MSG :_

DSC01428.jpg

Here's a close up to try and show the effect of the 3 shades plus the dark (black) undercoat :-

DSC01430.jpg

After the undersides it was on with more masking tape and the upper camo was painted - then off with all that meticulously applied Tamiya tape ......

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

Close up of the upper wing - you can just about discern the 3 shades of each colour, the effect is nice and subtle on the model:-

DSC01418.jpg

I must say I'm very impressed by this technique - it gives a depth to the paintwork that other methods that I've tried just doesn't match. In addition, the close up "dual diffusion" painting has forced me to use my airbrush as an airbrush and not as a spray gun :thumbsup:

The Xtracrylics I used were thinned 1 drop of paint to 10 of Tamiya thinners (plus 2 drops of Liquidex Acrylic Retarder) and sprayed from a distance of half an inch or so - very thin coats built up slowly to a finish I'm quite happy with.

Next up will be a coat or two of Future and then on with the decals.

Thanks for looking. All comment and critique is most welcome.

Ian

She looks bloody fantastic Ian, the diffusion method you're using is working out a treat, I'll definitely be giving it a go in the future.