Academy 1/72 P-51B

It's looking pretty good. Once you've got some matt coat on it you'll wonder what you were worrying about :thumbsup:

are you going to do the white wall tyres? Never seen that on a WWII aircraft!! Shades of Al Capone - takes me back to one of the few cars I ever did - the Airfix 1937 Lincoln.....!!

Thanks Mish and Timbo

had an enforced little break and a rest and about to finish the decals- a few more stencils is all

yup white wall tyres! You don't need your hoodlum chums on the running boards with their tommy guns when you are already packin' X6 .50 brownings :lol::mg:

not sure if the kit tyres are totally accurate but they will have to do!

okay the banghead smiley is getting boring- i need a:shoot self in foot: one before i :suicide:

despite my best efforts to be careful the prop decals were placed on the wrong side

so now have no prop stencils + makers logo :(

i wonder why i bother sometimes when i make the easy things so bloomin' hard :doh:

Was too tired again and contending with bad headaches- that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it.

if there is the slightest chance anyone has some suitable decals i would be very grateful

the finish date has gone back again and is very frustrating but will complete the ******* before the deadline

forgot to mention for anyone remotely interested, solved the riddle of the drop tanks

the 110 gal paper tanks have a pair of central bands that attach to the hardpoint. these are on the kit parts but project too much. have decided i can live with that.

the kit has two more bands and structural details. the former are actually where the seam lines are on the real thing but vastly over stated. Have removed them as too the more accurate, but stil oversized structural detailing. On the photo they can't be seen and the drop tank appears smooth. Hence my confusion.

the upshot is 'Old Crow' will have a pair of drop tanks that resemble those in the photo.

i have started to paint them in metal as that is how they appear to me in pics- unless any body knows otherwise.

well just about done- depending on whether i can get around to fiddling around touching things up

(why does that sound like a line from a Carry On movie? :lol: < Sid James)

endgame1.jpg

endgame7.jpg

endgame3.jpg

endgame4.jpg

will try and get sorted asap and pics into the gallery

once again- a big thanks to Clive for the prop decals :thumbsup:

also thanks to everyone who responded to questions and also gave moral(e) support!

Most of all, thanks to those who took part that day any paid the ultimate price

:poppy:

Hi Brews

is it a rubber strip?- haven't a scooby mate as i couldn't find any pics of old crow's wheel doors and have seen that strip in highly polished metal, yellow primer, but not black. i'm not saying you are wrong Brews, it maybe metal/yellow chrome under the rubber

if i find something to verify i can always paint it over!

thanks for the insight

the white wall tyres are shown in a pic of Old Crow!

Thanks Mish

she is on the shelf oppo a revell P-51B with Malcom hood i did a while back and for all my moaning the new one seems better.

will try and get a few touch ups done in between work on SCW GB building and post in the gallery before 6/6

Brews, thinking about the rubber strip, the central bad is depicted quite wide compared to photos/images with metal/yellow chrome which makes me think the kit depiction is inaccurately wide, or that it represents a rubber strip. Any idea what it was for please?

• 4 weeks later...