Bronco Staghound

spitfire

If you really want to drive yourself round the bend then I would recommend this kit, it's got lots and lots of very tiny parts, I've been plugging away at it while stalled (waiting for paint to dry etc) on the P-39D.

The instruction would have you build the hull in parts and then assemble them, luckily I'd read a build article some where which did not recommend this method, I can see why now ! So if you want a Staghound I would recommend the Italeri one.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire
Replaced Photobucket photos

Well it did not go in the bin, I'm still plugging away at it, the engineering in the kit is pretty fantastic but building is slow due to the large number of tiny parts, now I know how you 1/72 scale modellers feel ! The parts are tiny but also when you cut the parts from the sprue a tiny pip of plastic is left on the part which needs cleaning up.

This is the progress so far, note that I'm not an expert at anything, armour for me is for fun, though I do like to get it as accurate as I can.

Cheers

Den

the hull so far

spacer.png

All those suspension bits

spacer.png

The gun mantle, got very terse putting this together.

spacer.png

Hull and wheels

spacer.png

And just to show how big the Staghound is here it is alongside a Firefly, the Firefly was my first venture into 1/35 armour in the mid 1980's, and looks a bit sad now.

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

That is a detailed little beastie, isn't it? Keep up the good work though Den... those tyres look rather nice :thumbsup:

Mike - Armour Neophyte

Yes it's getting a bit addictive, I'm working on it now, the tyres are painted with my favourite Humbrol H67, well back to it.

Cheers

Den

Yeah, I have the Italeri Staghound and it looks like a super little kit. The Bronco Humber Scout Car is just the same - massive parts count. Why have a 1 piece hull when it can be made from 14 pieces? :doh:

Shouldn't grumble I suppose, who woulda thunked we'd have TWO 21st centrury IM kits of the Staghound readily available?

Yes shouldn't complain it's quite a reversal over the past few years as far as allied AFV's are concerned Churchill III, AVRE, Comet, Challenger (A30), Staghound(s), Humbers, A13 and they reckon there is a new Matilda on the way as well, happy days.

Cheers

Den

• 2 weeks later...
Yes shouldn't complain it's quite a reversal over the past few years as far as allied AFV's are concerned Churchill III, AVRE, Comet, Challenger (A30), Staghound(s), Humbers, A13 and they reckon there is a new Matilda on the way as well, happy days.

Cheers

Den

Hi guys, my first post!

I have also had a go at the Bronco Staghound. I started it twice, put it away twice, then decided I was determined to do something with it, and I am very glad I did. This is a great kit and once you get the lower hull built up it goes great. It is a bit fiddly but more than worth it at the end!

My advise (for what its worth) is to build the lower hull up then do as the instructions say.

Good luck,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Well there isn't a Staghound sized dent in the wall and it hasn't ended up going to landfill, it's progressing well, the gun mantle was very fiddley, there is a small plate fixed to the turret under the mantle i fitted that first but when I fitted the completed gun mantle the plate ended up in front of it (the mantle) and looked all wrong. So very gently I took the mantle apart and repositioned it, looks better now. The good news is that the fuel tanks fitted great, the PE straps and plastic ends fitted so well that I only had to add a dab of CA on one end, the others just clipped into place.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a newbie here having got back into armour modelling about 6 months ago after a gap of some 20+ years.

I've just bought this kit and am looking forward to getting 'stuck in' in the next day or two. I'll be making it as a car with 2 HCav Regt while they were with 11 Armd Div (with the Raging Bull formation sign instead of 8 Corps HQ). Then I can add it to my growing collection of 11 Armd Div vehicles from '44 / '45. :)

It certainly looks a daunting task though - by far one of the trickiest I've attempted so far.

When I get round to taking a few pics of my 11 Div display I'll post them up for 'critique'. :)

Edited by Ivan

Hi Mike, it's a pretty big rascal, about 6" long, it's been much neglected lately as I've been cracking on with other projects, will have to remove the digit.

Cheers

Den

spacer.png

Edited by spitfire

I tend to leave all the tools, stowage etc off the model until after I have completed and painted the main part of the model, then I attach them and complete the weathering, same as tracks (or in this case wheels). The PE on the front mudguards and on the headlamp guards was a bit tricky though. On the headlamp guards I made up some small plastic blocks to anchor them.

Cheers

Den

Hi, a real impressive kit & a nice build so far might well add one to the stash :wicked:, is it right they were rejected by the US army in favour of the greyhound?.

Andy.

Dan,

Looks fantastic already. What's the scale? And what's your prefered scale?

My current prejects:

1/72 Airfix B-24 Liberator (this is a rescued model from an attempted ebay rip-off; she's been abused a bit!)

1/35 Italeri Hertzer Jagdpanzer t38 (with a few parts missing that I'm trying to replace imaginatively!!)

Hi, the Staghound is 1/35 scale, which is the scale I stick to for armour, don't really know which identity it will be in the end, probably one of the kit options.

Cheers

Den

I love it.

A very attractive vehicle.

Id like to do one from one of the Canadian units that used them.

This Bronco kit comes with decals for one from the 12th Manitoba Dragoons, 11 Canadian Corps (among others).

• 2 months later...