The busiest Diorama in the World?

• 7 years later...

Thanks for showing us your fantastic collection of completed models, Tony.  I wondered whether to show them to SWMBO, emphasising your comments about your living room but on reflection realised it wouldn't work.  SWMBO comes from the other side of the Pennines to you so I'm sure you'll understand!

I was very sad to read that your back and legs are giving you trouble.  I can only hope they clear up.

oh - I'm sure I speak for every BM-er when I say thanks for sharing so many super builds with us here,  and of course for the articles you write for the media.  Truly inspirational.

Take care, best wishes,

Jonny

• Like 2

My dad and I had a very similar "airfield " in our loft years ago, even down to the backdrop prints! We kept a lot of the models in boxes underneath, but now and again they would come out. The airfield had to be kept clear you see for the operational Lightnings, Harriers and Phantoms of course!  Plus of course the odd visiting Shak or Herc.

• Like 2

I notice that there is a big empty space behind that RAF B17 on the second picture down. You have obviously been slacking and not building enough! 

Selwyn

(Now cowering behind something hard with his genuine WW1 tin helmet on!)

• Like 2

This is just lovely !  They are all in the same scale  ? 

• Like 1

Great collection Tony. Only wish I could show my lot off some how...It reminds me of those photos of aircraft gathered up for the scrap man post war.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments everybody,.........well the diorama is now dead,...it is no more! A few years ago it was taken up and lots of the models were broken up,..........it is now storage up there,.....mostly for my unbuilt stash! The shelves are still up with models on them but as I can no longer get up the ladder to the loft, it just had to go unfortunately and this is why I now have a cabinet in the living room, which doesn`t look empty like this anymore with just these 1/32nd and 1/48th models in it;

cabinet2.jpg

And is even more crammed packed than this latest pic that I took;

fullcabinet1.jpg

Plus I have my cellar too,......but I struggle to get down here nowadays too!;

Cellar2.jpg

So it isn`t all bad! I`m a lucky lad really but living in a 2 up and 2 down terraced cottage,.....I`ve just ran out of room!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Hi Tony

Some time ago you shown here your cabinet or display shelves (You just recall it now, when I already wrote it). So the tarrace is next space. All is very nice indeed. To many of  us IT IS very nice indeed. But who will care about it later, after us?....

I have similar to you feelings about the very difficult heritage we will left to our children or in more general - to family...What will happend then? Perhaps such place like this forum could be a good place to discuss an idea of special Museum of Britt Modeller? In a real world. Of course, since I live in Poland I am rather by definition off the interest. But perhaps in UK one  can think about such a place in real, not virtual world when models, which were (obligatory) presented in BM could be store and displayed showing this kind of art (it is art, whatever one think on art) for other people.... People of other parts of world could organize their own BM museums in other places...Or single BM museum for whole world?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Jerzy-Wojtek makes a good point!

The only museums I can recall visiting recently which have a good selection of well-made models are Newark here in the UK and the Aircraft museum in Malta.  I *think* the RAF Museum at Hendon did at one time but I don't remember seeing any models there the last time I visited last summer (2016).

It's a tragedy that Tony had to break up any models from his diorama, But to read he'd offered his models to an unresponsive Manchester Museum of Technology (apologies if I've got its name wrong!) was disappointing, to say the least.  There are many modellers here in Britmodeller who make and show their work here - sadly my attempts aren't worthy! - and it's a shame their work can't be seen by people who don't subscribe

Perhaps aviation-related museums could be asked if they would accept good quality scale models.  They cannot all have examples of every aeroplane ever made and a case can be made to show models.

Just thoughts ...

Jonny

• Like 1

I did donate a French painted Halifax model to the YAM at Elvington some years ago but I have never seen it on display anywhere at the museum since,....... which has put me off donating any more models. There was a brilliant collection of models made by a single deceased modeller on display in its own section of the old Army Transport Museum at Beverley but whatever happened to it  when the museum closed down I don`t know,....... it would be a shame if they were destroyed or split up and sold as it was a really superb collection which was displayed brilliantly too.

A dedicated museum would require a building, upkeep, somebody to man it, utilities etc,........ and unfortunately these don`t come cheap,...... good idea but just impractical unless we have a millionaire in our midst who feels like putting their hand in their pocket?

My missus would probably have a big bonfire when I go!

Cheers

Tony  

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

The only museums I can recall visiting recently which have a good selection of well-made models are Newark here in the UK and the Aircraft museum in Malta.  I *think* the RAF Museum at Hendon did at one time but I don't remember seeing any models there the last time I visited last summer (2016).

It's a tragedy that Tony had to break up any models from his diorama, But to read he'd offered his models to an unresponsive Manchester Museum of Technology (apologies if I've got its name wrong!) was disappointing, to say the least.  There are many modellers here in Britmodeller who make and show their work here - sadly my attempts aren't worthy! - and it's a shame their work can't be seen by people who don't subscribe

Perhaps aviation-related museums could be asked if they would accept good quality scale models.  They cannot all have examples of every aeroplane ever made and a case can be made to show models.

Just thoughts ...

Jonny

the RAF museum used have 8 or 10 large display cases with 1/48 scratchbuilt models of all the major types,  in diorama setting, I used to marvel over these when I  was  13 or so,

these were in the section that was left or behind what was the WW1 section  (now moved)

the  last time I was there, March 2016,  this was closed, and there was a handful of models to the left of  the Beaufighter,  these were one from  the displays i mention.

Shame  if they  got rid of those, they were brilliant,  anyone remember the U-boat one?

PS edit

http://www.pacifichistory.net/public_html/MODELEERFILE/DIORAMA.HTML

RAF6.GIF
Action in the North Atlantic! A Coastal Command B-24 at the RAF Museum drops depth charges on a surfaced U-boat. Essentially an action painting rendered in three dimensions.

RAF3.GIF
RAF bombers lumber onto a taxiway at the RAF Museum, showing the various types used during World War II. All are to a constant scale.

the other point was that back in the late 70's most of these being in 1/48th kit form  was pipe dream, though given the 1/48th Stirling and  Whitley are only 'available' as Sanger vacforms.....

Hello,Tony - Well,there was me thinking you are a dedicated and prolific modeller.Just goes to show,doesn't it?

I'm absolutely right!! This is not only a magnificent collection but also a magnificent achievement.An absolute credit to you in every respect.

I love the purpose built display cabinet too.A superb way to display those superb models. Totally inspirational.

🍻😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

And there's me thinking I have a large stash to build !!! no where near what you have Tony ! but what a great collection love the cabinet.

I showed SWMBO your collection and got a reply of NO !!!! I didn't even say anything <_<

Guy

• Like 2

That was a fabulous display Tony and the display cabinets look great.

I'm having a loft conversion done in the new year, partly to accommodate my musical instruments and studio and partly to accommodate my stash and completed models, I think I might attempt a similar diorama.

On the subject of kits in museums, both the museums at Manston have some models on display. The Manston museum has a diorama of the airfield, I think, post WW1.

The museum at Norwich airport has quite a few models too.

• Like 1

A fantastic collection Tony, a lot of years of hard work there mate.

I'm struggling to find room for my kits and I'm nowhere near as prolific as you are! I have also wondered what to do with them as I am loath to donate them to a museum where they would not be appreciated or even really wanted.

I really hope you are more mobile again soon, it must be very frustrating for you (to say nothing about being painful).

Craig.

• Like 1

Tony

really enjoyed this thread.  Thanks for showing.  Lovely diorama but I think the ground controller would have had a breakdown handling that lot.

Lovely work Sir

Hope the health is bearing up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

I think it's unfair to condemn the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry for not taking the models. They will have their own valid acquisition policy based on a host of factors, not always appreciated. Subject remits, funding, collecting and display priorities, interpretation, learning and access requirements can all mean that simply adding a cabinet to put some plastic models in is often not a realistic or appropriate proposition.  

That said, models on display were always my favourite bit of a Museum visit as a child and I do remember especially the dioramas in the National Army Museum and at Hendon.

Tony's wonderful collection is a little museum in its own right!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darby said:

I was going to suggest a third runway but seeing as it's no more.

Don't think there is any room up there for lots of figures of environmental protesters! And the sitting MP will have to resign and force a by election! Cue the models of OB vans from Sky, ITN, BBC et al and miniature models of all our "favourite" talking heads pontificating on whether there is room in the loft for a third runway.

Fabulous collection and the cabinet is a work of art in its own right.

• Like 1