1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III - Updated 1 March 22

inspiring work very well done have you compared the size to revells a400

Glenn.....

I have the A400 but have not put them side by side, the C-17 is slightly larger. I might have to break the A400 out and tape it together for a picture opportunity

Glad to see you have not given up on this one Ray

Bruce

Give up Bruce? Never! Well not until an injected kit comes out :D

Did some more on the internals, almost ready for paint.

Now the next question, who has any idea of internal colours? I have the Revell 1/144 kit but the paints are all Revell and I have heaps of other brands. So I don't want to be going out to buy more paint!

Edited by TrojanThunder

Hi Kev,

It will be a RAAF aircraft. I have the Draw Decal sheet for it along with a proof sheet from Hawkeye Models Australia (not yet released publically). The Hawkeye sheet willl have tail numbers for all 6 RAAF aircraft where as the Draw Decal sheet I have only has the first 4.

Now the next question, who has any idea of internal colours? I have the Revell 1/144 kit but the paints are all Revell and I have heaps of other brands. So I don't want to be going out to buy more paint!

This is where Urban Fredricksson's colour charts come in handy. If there's an equivalent paint, it's listed there.

Thanks Jessie, I already looked there. There are only limited equivalent Humbrol colours listed and in true Revell style a lot of the colours they suggest are mixes of their own. I was after some equivalent FS colour codes.

You probably won't go too wrong using the TLAR paint matching method. It's going to be dark in there, difficult to see into at the best of times, and besides, once they've been used a bit they get pretty scuffed up. If you get it looking close to what you can see in pictures it'll be good enough.

I think you are right Jessica, I think that is the way I will go

Been chipping away on this one again. I had to rework the rear equipment lockers and the like as I had made them too big.

C-17_Interior_Rework_SM_01_zps05d90c49.j

I have also almost finished the ribbing on the other fuselage half and am ready to start some final detailing.

C-17_Interior_Rework_SM_02_zps13e41cde.j

Glenn (cardiff guy) asked about the model's comparative size to the Airbus A400.

C-17_Size_Compare_SM_01_zps2002ea80.jpg

and here it is with a C-130 as well, all 1/72.

C-17_Size_Compare_SM_02_zps48c54d69.jpg

Finally some work was started on the seats.

C-17_Seats_01_zps4db58eae.jpg

C-17_Seats_02_zps0f6f6ea2.jpg

I have to agree with Jessica too, still have the mental scars to prove the method is right

I did all sorts of 'right' stuff on my scratch build, can you see it inside now? Not a chance, although there is far more to see in yours that will be visible

I love the work you have done, outside as well as the epic work inside it

Labour of love models, you can always tell

And enjoy thoroughly

You have helped generate a rare interest in odd media too, I'm certain to build a resin model now after watching you hack this about with happy abandon

magic stuff thanks for sharing it

b

• 3 months later...

I have to hand it to you Ray - the work you've done wayyyy exceeds what I would do! At least you have saved me some dosh - I think I'll pass on buying it!

Hopefully, we'll see some more progress soon? ;)

Si

• 2 weeks later...

What a monster build..

Certainly is Mark, I will finish it one day!

I have to hand it to you Ray - the work you've done wayyyy exceeds what I would do! At least you have saved me some dosh - I think I'll pass on buying it!

Hopefully, we'll see some more progress soon? ;)

Si

Si, I keep getting side tracked with guys building A400s and A330s plus some great group builds that keep popping up. I have had this build in 2 GBs so far. I hope to have it finished by the time the next eligible GB comes around.

• 8 months later...

Hi - you are truly a brave modeller to take this giant on - I have been watching this build process indirectly on my ipad through random resin/anigrand searches while not logged in to the forum. I have an Anigrand 1/72 VC10 on the shelf ready for my 2014 April/May production line so I have watching this build for some upfront tips. I cant wait to see this monster finished - keep up the good work

• Like 1

How's this progressing Ray? Interested in how you identified the internal frame numbers and position if you have a mo.

Kirk

Hi Kirk, All the internal work has been using the TLAR (that looks about right) method. I have been using a Revell kit to base the work on, it is not 100% but better than nothing. When I button it all up only the area around the ramp will be visible so I will concentrate my detailing effort there.

Externally again I am using the Revell kit and photos for reference. I need to get back to this one after a couple are cleared from the bench (including a 1/144 Anigrand C-17)

I have no touched this one for months, I come to little road blocks, that I need to think over to see how to go forward. The big ones at the moment are creating a new cockpit roof/ windscreen area and finishing the internal detail around the ramp.

Hi - you are truly a brave modeller to take this giant on - I have been watching this build process indirectly on my ipad through random resin/anigrand searches while not logged in to the forum. I have an Anigrand 1/72 VC10 on the shelf ready for my 2014 April/May production line so I have watching this build for some upfront tips. I cant wait to see this monster finished - keep up the good work

Thanks John, I really want to get this done and finding the right glue ( like on your Tristar build) will help make it a solid model I hope.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

After seeing Tom P's great work on his Combat 1/72 vacform C-17 and Rhino's work with the 1/72 C-5 I have finally pulled my C-17 and done a little more work to it

72_C-17_001_zpsbe69747f.jpg

Along with tinkering in the back end...

72_C-17_007_zps7397575d.jpg

...I decided to see how to tackle the engines and pylons.

After an afternoon in the garage I have had some success. I glued one nacelle together and attacked the sides with files and sand paper to flatten them.

Picture is not that good but shows a slight shape change from the under altered nacelle. I found after flattening the sides not as much work will be required with the lower lip.

72_C-17_002_zps26e263bc.jpg

72_C-17_003_zpsfc7f51c3.jpg

I have added some putty to the inner intake lips to thicken them up after removing about 2mm of resin from each side.

I then turned to the engine pylons.

72_C-17_006_zps09221b49.jpg

Anigrand supplies different shaped pylons for inboard and outboard. After looking at the Revell 1/144 kit it seems the inboard and outboard pylons should be identical.

The top pylon is an unmodified Inboard pylon, the hatched areas are to be removed to correct the shape.

The middle pylon is the unmodified outboard item and finally the lower is the modified lower pylon. As you can see I added material to the top as it is fairly flat on the actual aircraft and not sloped as Anigrand portrays it. I also extended it aft as it was too short.

So the engine intake needs cleaning up and some more shaping and the other 3 pylons need modification.

I still need to figure out how the cockpit windscreen and roof will be rectified.

That is all for now

• Like 1

Well back to the nose section, I have used an upsized scan of some decals for the Revell 1/144 kit as a template for the windscreen panels. I transferred them to tape and then to a CD case.

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_01_zps5c11114c.jpg

The outlines were then scored with a hobby knife and removed from the surrounding plastic

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_02_zpsc201a2c1.jpg

Then test fitting and slight reworking of the cockpit area to get the bits to fit.

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_03_zps90d00900.jpg

Finally I took part of the kit cockpit roof to fit back over the panel parts. All test fitting at this time.

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_04_zps91e76248.jpg

Finally a comparison of the modified cockpit/forward fuselage shape compared to what the unmodified kit clear parts are like.

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_06_zps741ab26c.jpg

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_05_zps2965ccff.jpg

So it looks like I have overcome the dodgy windscreen shape of the kit.

• Like 2

Wow... the work you've done on the front end is most certainly paying off. It's a massive improvement over the kit parts - seeing your work compared to the original windscreen just shows how far out it was!

Tom

• Like 1

Cheers Tom and Calum,

Well the cockpit is almost there. Hit it with some primer today and it still needs some work. But I can say shape wise it is 99% there now

Cockpit test fitted - front

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_13_zps1c6d0492.jpg

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_12_zps1ffeda31.jpg

Cockpit test fitted - back end

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_14_zpse5f1631d.jpg

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_11_zps2f28421f.jpg

C-17_Cockpit_Dec14_15_zpsf878c37a.jpg

How it looked when I first started, before any chopping at all

Nose.jpg

• Like 2