1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III - Updated 1 March 22

So I am pulling this off the shelf of doom again. After seeing Blackjet's way to correct the front end I have started to have another go.

I am using his method but I am sure things will go differently. Here are some pictures from my handywork last night.

Marking the cut line in my fuselage ...

C-17NoseReworkSM1.jpg

Cut complete and nose removed.

C-17NoseReworkSM2.jpg

New nose parts laid out after a few cuts here and there from the donor fuselage half and comparing to an untouched part.

C-17NoseReworkSM3.jpg

The other fuselage half, she'll be right, nothing some glue and bog won't fix

C-17NoseReworkSM4.jpg

Because I had invested a lot of time on the model so far I will have to attack some mods differently. I did test fit the scratch built cockpit and with a little resizing will fit nicely.

Next will be some assembly this weekend.

My god Ray, if you're not careful, Australia will sink when you put this together ! :lol:

amazing work. I think I'd have my bags packed if I came home with that !!!!

Welll surprisingly this kit came in a box not much bigger than a 1/48 Hawkeye, easy to slip into the house. Now displaying it will be another matter!

Hi my fellow C-17 Nutcase!

Nice to se you have picked this one up again Ray.

Damn will have to dig my one out again :(

This is the most challenging model ever attempted for me?

And God knows why have a 2nd one waiting to go as well!!!!!

If only someone other than Annigrand would do one of these babes in 72nd?

Adrian

Adrian

You can blame Blackjet and his nose reshaping for this :D I look forward to finishing it.

I must admit that Anigrand's later offerings are much better in accuracy, I only wish now that they had released this one a little later.

Adrian

May be something that Revell may do, people may scoff but they are bringing out the airbus A400, and i have never even heard of it until now, and that is a massive plane

Well Ray,

as others have said glad to see it back in the build, and I will watch it all the way through, but there is no way I would ever attempt this kit seeing what needs to be done

I think the idea of you getting it finished is sure to invoke the modellers law, that an IM kit will appear just after you get it finished, so please keep up the good work.

TFIC

OK, some progress.

The nose sections are together and have had their first (of many) applications of filler.

C-17NoseReworkSM10.jpg

I still need to resize and adjust the location of the lower windows. Because the nose wheel well is not located in the same position on both fuselage halves (they are about 2mm out) I had to slide upper and lower parts around to get a best fit. So the windows are wonky shape and need some attention.

I reworked the cockpit section to fit the new nose

C-17NoseReworkSM12.jpg

..and it fits quite snuggley.

C-17NoseReworkSM7.jpg

C-17NoseReworkSM8.jpg

C-17NoseReworkSM6.jpg

I also attached the second ring to one of the fuselage halves and salvaged the seating and wall work for installation.

C-17NoseReworkSM9.jpg

I have applied a second layer of putty on the nose cose to reconture it. that shape is also off. So that is setting at the moment.

I will have to get back to starting to add the interior detail to other fuselage half so I can get it painted and the fuselage buttoned up.

No Kev, I am just a masochist trying to build a nice model of an aircraft I Like.

Have you seen the threads for my scratchbuilt 1/72 Falcon 900 I started about 5 years ago, now that has been more painful than this build (and its not finshed yet either) :D

• Like 1

No Kev, I am just a masochist trying to build a nice model of an aircraft I Like.

Have you seen the threads for my scratchbuilt 1/72 Falcon 900 I started about 5 years ago, now that has been more painful than this build (and its not finshed yet either) :D

No, have you a link to it

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look like I have build threand I can find. It might be on an old forum that is now shut down.

Slow progress, I am now fine tuning the shape of the nose are and putting things where they are supposed to be. The cheek windows need to be moved forward and down by about 2mm in each direction.

The first picture shows the card I glued in to pack out the hole.

C-17NoseReworkSM13.jpg

The main windscreen sill also has to come down about 6 mm and forward about 5 mm. You can see my first attempt by the cut out. I still need to remove the remainder which is shown shaded.

C-17NoseReworkSM14.jpg

More sanding and filling to come...

Edited by TrojanThunder

I greatly admire your skills and tenacity with this kit.

However, looking at the work you have to do to get something close to accurate from the kit, this thread has to be just about the worst advertising Anigrand could ever get.

Ray, good to see you still plugging away at this one, at the moment my shed is in a state of turmoil, once I have completed my man cave will be able to sort stuff out and find those tailplanes for you

Hope you and your family have a great xmas

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ray,

I simply love your build. I enjoy cutting kits about so much, I'm tempted to buy this kit!!

I've just ordered the 1/72 C-5 from Anigrand. Is that kit any good?

Regards

Nige

Hi Nige,

I don't have the C-5 but understand it is a lot better shape wise. It also comes with a basic interior. Looks like the guys at Anigrand did a bit more research before issuing the kit.

Here is a build thread on another forum http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=...hlight=anigrand

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Impresive build on your C-5! I think I'll wait for Airfix or Revell to come out with one.lol. Not like I don't like a challenge, but when you get older, it becomes harder to see. Can't wait to see your C-5 finnished. Working on my Nimrod MR-1. Will be painted for 203 Sqn RAF based in Luqa Malta during the 70's. Was able to photograph the Nimrods while stationed there. Chuck. Stoney Creek Ontario Canada.

Edited by CNtrainman

• 9 months later...

After a bit of a hiatus on this I have been spurred on by seeing a picture of Blackjet's completed build. I did progress some during the Large Scale GB earlier in the year.

Link of progress made here:

http://www.britmodel...840#entry951698

Last night a draged it out of the corner (it is too big for its box now) and onto the bench and got on with a few more fiddly bits.

I added the grill to the APU Exhaust, I had some plastic meshed that was super glued in position, looking at pictures there is some sort of moveable vane system to close the exhaust when the APU is not in use. I will have to see how I can replicate that.

C_17_ProgSM_01.jpg

C_17_ProgSM_02.jpg

C_17_ProgSM_05.jpg

I also reviewed the equipment panel near the ramp and realised it was too big, so I have trimmed it back a little in preparation for another to be fitted further aft.

C_17_ProgSM_03.jpg

Here is the mess that is my floor during the build:

References...

C_17_ProgSM_06.jpg

Other bits...

C_17_ProgSM_07.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder

It's looking good so far, some mad mods going on lol

Thanks Bradley, this kit certainly need the mad mods to make it look like a real C-17. Wish Revell would upsize their 1/144 kit.

Anyway I decided to take the plunge and carry on with this build. I tacked the fuselage together so I could get on with sorting out the front end shapes. I will cut it apart again to sort out the forward fuselage internals when the shapes are good.

Loads of filler was applied.

C-17_ReshapeSM_12.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_11.jpg

As you can see I used what I could lay my hands on, two varieties of milliput and some Tamiya putty

Next was to attack it with an orbital sander out in the garage. If I had taken to it with paper and sanding block I would still be going now :D

C-17_ReshapeSM_13.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_14.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_15.jpg

Round 2 of the filling has been applied. I will also take the opportunity while it is together the get the fuselage strengthening ribs in place.

C-17_ReshapeSM_16.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_17.jpg

...that is after the rear fuselage is attached :blush: I dropped it and we had separation :weep:

So back to it