1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III - Updated 1 March 22

Full respect to you for taking on such a beast of a kit, that's an absolute pig! The skill and patience you are showing are truly masterful-congratulations on your work. I can't wait to see this finished-and where the hell are you going to keep such a monster?!

Thanks Chaps, it sure is a challenge. I am finding it is expanding the skill set as well. I spent enough cash on this kit and it will not beat me :D I will make it look like the C-17 it is supposed to be. I have seen a number of these built now and they don't look quite right out of the box.

I see the C-5 is an impending release, I hope Anigrand have used better refs for that one... and no I will not be getting one.

Full respect to you for taking on such a beast of a kit, that's an absolute pig! The skill and patience you are showing are truly masterful-congratulations on your work. I can't wait to see this finished-and where the hell are you going to keep such a monster?!

As for displaying it, we have plans of adding some deep wall mounted display cases at home in the study. Until then the boss likes my models at work. I have a large 3m x 1.5m credenza that will take the C-17 nicely along with a 1/72 B707 tanker when I start that one :D

I won't mention the other 4 E-3 kits, 5 KC-135 kits and 14 P-3 and C-130s I plan building.... perhaps I can hang them from the ceiling...

Oh and I progress some more, not enough to take pictures. I have started to cut the holes for the auxilliary gear doors on the other sponson. I also extended the internal wall to the door opening I made. More progress to follow...

Edited by TrojanThunder

Update time….. Trying to compare pictures with what I have in kit for is very time consuming. I bit of a hit and miss affair with some simplification required. Some guess work is required with a few holes in the walk arounds I have.

I was not happy with the wall work I had previously done in the left hand fuselage half. So it all came out and I started again from scratch :D I realised the walls would not be perpendicular and that the troop seat step would encroach on to the cargo bay floor.

New and old left hand wall work

C-17InteriorLS4.jpg

I also got the wing spar carry through box together, I am sure it will need some adjusting when the time comes.

So after a couple of hours of cutting and gluing I was basically back to where I started from.

I have also started on the panel work next to the ramp and the reinforcing around the ramp area.

C-17InteriorLS1.jpg

Some test fitting of the Ramp sections as well was carried out. Since there was a bit of material removed when these parts were cut out I have space to play with after adding the internal ramp opening support work.

C-17InteriorLS5.jpg

C-17InteriorLS7.jpg

So once I have the framing in then it will have to go through it all again. I am sure also that the cargo floor I had created won’t fit and more than likely a new one will need to be fabricated.

Whenever I see these "challenging" builds come up here and I see them plastered in milliput, I always think "this'll all end in tears" - they just look so unpromising! Also, I hate sanding filler as I can never get a decently invivible transition between the base styrene and the filler - there's always a huge escarpment at the edge of the filler.

Anyway, I'm full of admiration (& a little anticipation as well!)

Bloomin` `eck Ray, what a challenge! :analintruder:

Superb work (and patience), I`d have been tempted to close the doors when faced with the external challenges, BUT AN INTERIOR MAKE-OVER ALSO!!!

Zoiks, my hats` off to you Ray, best of luck. :speak_cool:

Cheers, Ian

Ray, that is amazing. Considering what that kit costs, I would be tempted to send a stiff e-mail to the makers regarding accuracy.

Have you thought of approaching the filler manufacturers for sponsorship?

Looks cracking!

Love the customisation :)

Also, I don't know if it's been modelled, but the starboard sponson extents farther forward than the left, so that it can accomodate the APU.

20090403_C-17_0043.jpg

:)

Thanks for the words chaps, still progressing and it is slowly coming along. Some more pictures to come when I have something to show.

Ray, that is amazing. Considering what that kit costs, I would be tempted to send a stiff e-mail to the makers regarding accuracy.

Have you thought of approaching the filler manufacturers for sponsorship?

What is the point, they don't seem to listen. They have my money. And since I have now spent the money (be it a few years ago) I am going to make it as accurate as I can and make it look it was worth the money...

I already have shares in Milliput from another (yet to be finished ) project... just kidding.

Looks cracking!

Love the customisation :)

Also, I don't know if it's been modelled, but the starboard sponson extents farther forward than the left, so that it can accomodate the APU.

:)

I am well aware of the extented sponson...

updatedsponsonsSM.jpg

C17Sponson1-SM.jpg

C17Sponson2-SM.jpg

The extended sponson has been tidied up a little since these were taken, I was actually working on it last night.

u know there was an upgrade for the fuselage?

http://www.nostalgicplastic.com/plastigram.cfm

Not much of an upgrade I am afraid IMO. For the $US50 it cost I could do it a lot cheaper with some plastic card and strips. They did include the extended sponson but I have already done that work. Also the fuslage shape inaccuracies don't look like that were fixed very much (though it is hard to tell form the side shot, I need an overhead view to really see it it has been fixed), it looks lkie they just added a few lumps and strips on the existing parts.

Edited by TrojanThunder

Been beavering away for last week on bits and pieces. Mainly dealing with some fit issues but now have some progress to show. The RH sponson is now getting close to fitment. I have opened the aux gear door openings and removed the moulded on framework.

C-171010S3.jpg

I have also started adding the interior ribbing in the cargo area as well as tweaking the cockpit fit. The ribbing is bit on the thick side but once it gets hidden under a layer of PVA soaked tissue it shold be OK.

C-171010S1.jpg

C-171010S2.jpg

C-171010S4.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder

• 1 month later...
Just thought I'd bump this thread to see how it's getting along.

Edit/ I should have said: magnificent build Mr Thunder!!

Thanks Kirk,

Not much has happened since those shots were taken. I have only put a bit of primer coat on the work I had done only to find I have to add a little more detail near the crew entry door.

Still a long way to go. I am off on a holiday shortly and will not get back to this until at least late January I expect.

:cheers:

Edited by TrojanThunder

Hi there, have just started doing the same kit, , going to scratchbuild the interior too carrying, i think, a stripped Chinook inside

I have moved the wing back and reprofiled the nose, but there is another thing that requires doing...

the profile of the fuselage spine immediately infront of the wing root is also way out, it needs bulding up about 5mm at that point and then feathering off toward the cockpit

If you look at the fuselage in side view on the kit it has a very strange 'dip' on the top between about an inch behind the cockpit and the wing root leading edge, the real aircraft has a gradual slope all the way

i will post a couple of pics as soon as i can figure out how, to show it better- also have come up with a very crafty fix to use the original glass on the now thinner fuselage front to save a lot of messing

Mark

Thanks Kirk,

Not much has happened since those shots were taken. I have only put a bit of primer coat on the work I had done only to find I have to add a little more detail near the crew entry door.

Still a long way to go. I am off on a holiday shortly and will not get back to this until at least late January I expect.

:cheers:

Hey - no problem Ray. It's only virtual popcorn anyway so I won't get too fat waiting. :popcorn:

It seems from the Nostalgic Plastic site that Anigrand updated the kit to address fuselage issues (this page if anyone's interested). I can't seem to find out if they repositioned the wing and reprofiled the nose correctly as you have done or just narrowed what they had a little and lengthened the RH sponson. It's the age old problem with limited volume kits I suppose; The expense involved in correcting the tooling for something that is presumably selling "warts and all" is probably considerable and may not be justified in terms of increased sales. There just seems to be something a bit wrong about you having to put in this much effort. I do applaud the manufacturers (e.g. IainT of Heritage) who bend over backwards to address this kind of thing when brought to their attention though.

I hope you don't tire of it and look forward to the next installment.

Cheers, Kirk

I have the latest issue and they addressed NONE of the shape issues . All they changed was some of the surface details , it's a great kit but requires a lot of. Chopping and filler to make it look like a C-17

Thansk again guys,

I seem to work on this in spurts, like I said I can't get back to it until next year where is will be coming on 3 years since I started on it!

Mark the shape issue with the wing root 'fairing' is caused by the wing being at the wrong angle of incidence.

If you compare the Revell kit with the Anigrand one you can notice it. See below

cutting.jpg

I have started to fill the inside of the wing box area to allow for the material that will come off to flatten the root area. You can just see the superglue filled area (looks a little glazed) in the following picture if you look carefully :D I have also repositioned the locating hole for the wing.

C-171010S4.jpg

I hope these pictures show it up.

I have the latest issue and they addressed NONE of the shape issues . All they changed was some of the surface details , it's a great kit but requires a lot of. Chopping and filler to make it look like a C-17

I figured as much from the pictures, glad I did not spend the extra $60US they were asking for it. As it was I it was not worth it since I had done most of the work already.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Edited by TrojanThunder