1/72 Anigrand C-17A Globemaster III - Updated 1 March 22

Quite a saga you've got going here, and I'm enjoying it. I too hope for a Revell 1:72 version. I wonder if the economy had been better for the last 4 years perhaps we would have seen one by now. We know they have the CAD files, having done the 1:144 version, though tooling wouldn't be cheap. Still, they did the A400. So maybe in the fullness of time we'll get a plastic version. Probably announced about the time you finish yours, right? :hanging::winkgrin:

I realised there were still some minor shape issues so I popped out to the local AutoPro and picked up some automotive filler. I slapped a bit on here and there and let it set.

After a bit of sanding here is how it looks.

C-17_ReshapeSM_19.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_20.jpg

Still need to reshape the fairings forward of the wing root and the cross section just at of the cockpit, so another round of filling has commenced. I will let that set over night and attack with orbital sander again tomorrow.

Edited by TrojanThunder

I realisd there were still some minor shape issues so I popped out to the local AutoPro and picked up some automotive filler. I slapped a bit on here and there and let it set.

Sittl need to reshape the fairings forward of the wing root and the cross section just at of the cockpit, so another round of filling has commenced. I will let that set over night and attack with orbital sander again tomorrow.

Ahh now we are into the real industrial work, I assume the panel lines are goners :shutup:

Love it, bog, sand, bog, sand, bog, sand, bog, sand, hmmm then 50 shades of grey? :popcorn:

The Force is strong in this one

Yes more bogging and sanding as I type. The panel lines were a figment of someone's imagination. I will try and re-apply the more prominent ones as well as the reinforcing strips along the fuselage. Plenty of grey to come as well :D

Thanks, I am planning the totally reshape the engines as well, the intake shape is wrong and the the lip is too thin. I also noticed the wing leading edge need modifying inboard of both pylons. That is for later

There isn't one part of the kit that doesn't need modifying! I'm going to have a crack at the Anigrand YC-14 next, I hope that is more accurate than the C-17

After another putty and sand session I was finally close to the shape I wanted. So here it is. It will still need some more shaping when it finally goes togther.

C-17_ReshapeSM_21.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_22.jpg

C-17_ReshapeSM_23.jpg

A shot up inside before I pulled it apart.

C-17_ReshapeSM_24.jpg

After taking to it with a razor saw and scriber it is back in 5 major pieces.

C-17_ReshapeSM_25.jpg

Clean up of the interior is required and then back to adding detail.

I have turned my attention to the interior again. I was stalled on how I would carry on with the internal ribbing and fitting the wing spar box. I found a fix though I will have to figure a way to hide the seam in the ceiling a little bit later on.

I ended up gluing some thin card inside the fuselage to give a continuous cross shape through the cargo bay.

C-17_Interior_01.jpg

Then I started to added the ribs again

C-17_Interior_02.jpg

I had built a wing spar box previoulsy but it turned out to be too big in just about every dimension so it was cut down to more aappropriate size. It is shown test fitted

C-17_Interior_03.jpg

Finally for this weekend's update I took the previously started air conditioning ducts and added a support for it so it could be mounted. Again here is a shot of it test fitted.

C-17_Interior_04.jpg

The cargo bay is now starting to look busy. So it will be onto some paint soon. The only refs I have are Revell's colours so I think I will have to fudge it in some places.

Some more progress last night, I managed to get most of the internal ribbing finished on the LHS fuselage half. I then rejoined the forward and rear fuselage bits (as a result of dropping it :( )

After a shot of primer here is how it looks
C-17_Interior_05.jpg

Not bad if I do say so myself :D

C-17_Interior_06.jpg

C-17_Interior_07.jpg

C-17_Interior_09.jpg

I will be covering the ribs with tissue coated in white glue so I am not fussed about a few cracked ribs here or there. Plus you will only see what is around the rear doors anyway.

I then started the ribbing of the RHS which I botched slightly from rushing and had to remove a few after I took this picture.
C-17_Interior_08.jpg

More to follow....

Edited by TrojanThunder
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Back on this build!

After a chap I sold some kits to asked a few questions about my build it got my interest going again.

I have managed to get the cargo bay floor sized and test filtted, fortunately I had one done from a while ago, all I needed to do was cut it down a little to squeeze it in.

C-17FloorfittingSM6_zps15eb1e4e.jpg

Though I ten came up with an issue when I compared its level with the cockpit and section, there should be a step down from the loadies station, in this case it went the other way! I did not have the nose section taped on quite square for this shot but you get the idea.

C-17FloorfittingSM1_zps8607bcd4.jpg

So how to fix it, well for some reason there was a 3mm spacer between the upper and lower cockpit sections so I separated the upper and lower sections at the floor and removed it.

C-17CockpitreworkSM1_zps1778b8d6.jpg

Next was to reassemble to cockpit section

C-17CockpitreworkSM2_zps29555bca.jpg

It lines up a lot better now, I did not take a shot of it, sorry

With all that work done I decided to see how it looked with a load

C-17FloorfittingSM4_zps4d9d8968.jpg

As you can see not much will be seen behind the load :(

Finally I cut out the para door on the right hand sponson ready to do some more work in that area.

C-17RHParaDoorSM_zpsdd3a57c9.jpg

So next it will be to the cockpit clear parts and prepping for paint, I am using the Revell 1/144 kit paint guide and pictures to figure out interior colours.

C-17testfitSM3_zps08cce41e.jpg

Thanks for the continued interest chaps. I am planning to have a number of loads for the back end, an MRH90 (NH90TTH) is one of them that is about the size of the Merlin :D

Edited by TrojanThunder

Thansk again chaps, I wish the phots were a bit more clear and showed more progress, I might have to click less and contruct more.

I made some more progress last night finalaising a final loose ends. I realised the equipment loccers aft of both para doors were to big so I have had to dithc hte RH one (it was not let fitted) and cut down the LH one. I also just about finished addinght einternal ribbing in the RH fuselage half. Once I get the back end conquered it will be onto reshaping the cocpit winscreen panels and finally some paint!