M4 Sherman

gcn

Well here's my entry kindly donated by Timbo. ::Thumbs Up::

Got to the priming stage with a couple of mould seems I hadn't seen that need removing.

Coat 1 Primed with Mr Surfacer 1000 diluted with their levelling thinner. My new primer of choice

next coat will be black to emphasise the shadows.

PICT1745.jpg

better collection of photos will follow when I have some daylight to play with

I've seen a couple of photos of Hurricane on the net and the one i'm basing this model on is the engine change photo that shows the tank sporting a camo scheme which i'm led to believe is OD and black rather than OD and dark earth and it'll be a US model

I will try and replicate that photo as best as I can which will include weathering, but you need to bear in mind that this is my first attempt at armour but I come armed with Adam Wilders DVD on colour modulation so what could go wrong :unsure:

Edited by gcn

A good couple of hours painting under my belt today as I had the house to myself.

Tamiya XF1 thinned with celulose thinners at a ratio of 1 drop of paint to five drops of thinner.

The idea of this coat is to emphasise the shadows a touch more. Here i've done it around the Turret, Mantle and er the bottom bit? you can tell i'm not a tread head.

PICT1747.jpg

next up was some Tamiya XF62 Olive drab, again thinned to the same ratio as above.

PICT1752.jpg

PICT1753.jpg

The black still needs toning down a touch but I think various weathering steps will take care of that but I can't help thinking that OD looks well... brown maybe an overspray with clear green or a very thin XF5 will green it up. Or maybe an overspray of Xtracrylix OD which I have. What are peoples opinion on that colour, it does look better under a more subdued light

The OD was successively lightened with Buff, Yellow and finally white to create the highlights

PICT1757.jpg

Are those turret hatches supposed to be so vertical? I'll have to search for images, but I suspect not. It just looks so F-15 :)

Edit: As suspected, the hatches should be laid a little flatter. I can't find a reference to the correct angle, but there are a couple of (possibly contradictory) photos on this page. I would have thought that the angle would be something like 30Deg, but it may be as steep as 60Deg.

Edited by Brews

Are those turret hatches supposed to be so vertical? I'll have to search for images, but I suspect not. It just looks so F-15 :)

Edit: As suspected, the hatches should be laid a little flatter. I can't find a reference to the correct angle, but there are a couple of (possibly contradictory) photos on this page. I would have thought that the angle would be something like 30Deg, but it may be as steep as 60Deg.

here's the thing in the flesh so to speak

hurricane.jpg

its hard to tell but i think you have a point. A quick snap and a spot of glue and its sorted.

what about the OD though

I wasn't happy with the colour, too brown for my taste.

So I applied more Tamiya OD with a dash of their dark green and then some heavily thinned clear green which improved things to my eye.

PICT1771.jpg

next up will be some nicely thinned black to complete the camo

the running gear and tracks have been completed as well but there's not a huge amount to see.

GCN: Nice looking M4 ....adding some color variation on the tank is a good idea....

Carry on.........

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS

I had a good look through my Sherman photos and found a picture of "Hurricane" undergoing an engine change in the field. I could scan it if you're interested, though tbh I like the one you've shown!

As for the turret hatches, I DID find one showing a T-23 turret with hatches in the vertical. Is it possible that these things had ratchets on them, or, say, 3 positions to hold at? Or did they just clunk over until something stopped them?

Edited by Brews

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of coats of future, decals added and then another coat of future

dot filter added although you wouldn't notice from these photos.

Combination of Mig, Windsor & Newton and a cheapo set of oils from The Works

leave this little lot to dry out for a week

PICT1825.jpg

PICT1824.jpg

PICT1823.jpg

I have taken a few artistic licences with this, as its my first armour build I figure I can get away with it :whistle:

oh and the flipping hatch has fallen off for the 15th time, the carpet monster remains hungry though.

The tracks are too silver and need sorting out. I also need to do a wash in black for the cracks in the wheels I put in plus some other recessed areas.

Hello,

The tracks on your model are T-48 Rubber Chevron type, the only metal showing would be the end connectors.

Cheers

Phil

The tracks are too silver and need sorting out. I also need to do a wash in black for the cracks in the wheels I put in plus some other recessed areas.

The photo's seem to show T-48 Rubber Chevron track.

Phil

please don't ask me I wouldn't have the faintest idea.

Anyhoo crappy photos aside I've played arond with adding some good old mud to cover up the mistakes. A basic chalk wash of various browns and yellows have come out better than expected although the photos don't quite show it as well as i'd hoped.

just dabbed it on with my drybrushing brush and splatters added with a sponge. Some of it looks too rounded so I may well retouch with a smaller brush

PICT1864.jpg

PICT1862.jpg