Hawker P1083.....supersonic Hunter project

Hi there folks, this time it's the Hawker P1083, an evolution of the Hawker P1067 (Hunter) that would have provided the RAF with an early supersonic fighter to equal the US F-100 and Soviet MiG 19. It is basically a Hunter with new 'supersonic' wings and a reheated Avon turbojet that would have been capable of propelling it to Mach 1.08 in level flight. It was felt that the basic Hunter airframe could be adapted to meet the requirement (spec F.119D) and to speed construction the fuselage of the fourth prototype P1067, WN470 was used along with the Avon 14R. Early on in the programme, it was decided to refit with a more powerful Avon 19R, however, this had a much wider diameter reheat unit and would have required a redesign of the rear end. WN470 was, therefore, to be completed solely as a 'proof of concept' prototype, the operational version would have needed new intakes and much wider fuselage rear end !.

However, it was decided not to proceed with the project probably a cost-driven decision and that the Korean war had only just finished, coupled with the fact that there was a new all new Mach two capable interceptor waiting in the wings ......the English Electric P1 !!

This is my version of how it might have looked. The main kit used is the Revell Hunter F6, with the addition of new parts from the recently released conversion kit available from Freightdog under the 'Silver Cloud' series label. The resin parts consist of new wings, tailplanes, under fuselage plug with NACA duct and replacement exhaust area. The parts are beautifully cast and need minimal cleanup, fitting snugly into the Revell fuselage extremely well. My build of this model is elsewhere.

The model was finished in Hawker's house colours, namely, gloss 'sky', the nearest match from the Gunze range and the decals are a mix of generic national markings and stencils and those supplied with the 'Silver Cloud' box set.

My thanks to Colin of Freightdog :worthy: for supplying the set, ( if you want one I suggest you get them a bit sharpish as they're proving popular ...so many what-if possibilities !!!).

My references during the build all came as usual from the indispensable 'bible' ..British Experimental Jet Aircraft by Barrie Hygate, (relatively hard to come by, but if you ever come across it, buy it! :jump_fire: ).

Thanks for looking and hope you like it .......... right what's next....???

The General... :pilot:

1-2-P1040589.jpg

2-imageproxy-7.jpg

3-imageproxy.jpg

5-imageproxy-2.jpg

6-imageproxy-4.jpg

4-imageproxy-3.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 26

Yet another stunning build there Melchy Ol' Chap........... Flaky? You? Never.......... Stark raving Bonkers...... Definately :yahoo: However, those wings look the Dogs Wotsits :worthy:

Bexy

Thank you both , Bex ....... stark raving bonkers does it every time, ( I come from a long line of 'stark ravers' .... :banghead: and seem to have picked up the where my great uncle Field Marshal Sir Norbert Raving-Bonkers left off after an argument he had between a bicycle pump and a hand knitted statue of the Duke of Westminster :analintruder: ),

Mish thanks, plenty on the go ... keeps me out of mischief !!!

Thanks Martin ... :thumbsup2:

Ah, so you finally managed to get it posted then Melchett old chap - what with teasing us with that premature announcement in your build thread. Getting us all excited like that & then letting us down, not good for a chap of my age, doncha know.....!!!! :P

Lovely build again Andy, I really do like that - & it has definitely inspired me to convert mine to the 'green' prototype! I can see what you mean about it being an elusive colour to photograph......

Excellent job!! :speak_cool:

Keef

Thanks fellas , glad you like it, it's a lovely little kit and the resin set really sets it off, every Hunter lover should have a go at one !!!

Keef,.... well gotta keep you on your toes old thing , to be honest though I'm sure lots of squadron 'wifs' will be forthcoming, the prototype is really the only straight build with this set as the operational beastie would have been quite different, however in the land of 'what-if?' almost anything goes !!!, :wicked:

Van , thanks get crackin' with yours !! :hobbyhorse:

Andy

Once again a top quality job Andy! :speak_cool:

This one has turned out a treat, the Sky finish really shows of this birds shapely lines. You've done this one in just over a week and I've done exactly zip except make a hash of airbrushing my Fencer build, now I have had to strip it right back, in the process damaging several parts :shithappens: ..... jealous, moi?

:cheers:

Duncan

Walrus , the old Houchin is available from B W models , it's a white metal kit in 1 /76th but scales out very closely for my purposes. They have loads of detail ,(actually bought 5), a couple of Leyland Hippo refuelers and Tankers to add to various dioramas I have planned :wicked: . Can't recall price but they're not too bad !.This one has had no painted detail added yet and is overall RAF blue. Have to add lights, a few markings, cables, etc and a little roundel used for a few test rigs ,

Cheers now....

Great job as always Andy :thumbsup: I wasn't too familiar with the P.1083, so your build has been extra interesting to follow. If anything, the modified wings make the Hunter even more graceful, who'd have thought that was possible :lol:

:goodjob:

Hi everyone , just an update, whilst looking through the pics I noticed that something was slightly amiss !!then it dawned on me , I had omitted some details that should have been obvious but when you're staring at something long enough you don't see the wood for the trees .... :hypnotised:

Namely the tail pipe should have a bright metal ring which was present on all early Hunters , the wing pitot should be polished metal instead of sky !!!, and the wheels needed flattening a bit and wash appliesd as they were too shiny..

I have updated the main pics ,

Cheers ,

Das General...Ubertwitnant !! :banghead:

And it still looks great Andy......!! The polished ring (ooh errr!! :analintruder: ) makes a big difference! Is it Alclad?

Do you have your airbrush permanently set up? I must admit that the thing I detest about airbrushing small parts like that is getting the thing out, setting it up, spraying for 2 minutes, cleaning up for 15 & then putting it all away again! I'm always impressed with your builds how many small bits of airbrushing you do so frequently in the course of the build. Incredible dedication if you have to put it away each time.....!!!

Keef

Hi Andy

the old Houchin is available from B W models

thanks for the info! would this cart be approriate for early Harriers please?

from the horse Durves to the Main Course:

the colour looks fabulous :wub: shows the beautiful lines of these birds a treat imo

there was a Hawker P1086 (?Please forgive ignorance) at Huddersfield - scratch built from wood iirc :gobsmacked:

painted up in those colours- too many peeps around for me to swipe it into my poacher's pocket

that is what puts me off about airbrushes Keef :lazy: :lol:

I tried to strip a model once and she didn't like it all - only got as far as the stockings!! :kissing2:

Nice Super Hunter BTW - would look Fab in the red of the Hunter F3

David

Hi Dunc , don't worry fella , plenty of scrapyard fillers in the past, the trouble is the further you go with the build the worse the disaster when it happens !! I've had to strip a few models in the past,................ sometimes one model can be the work of several :banghead: ..