Screaming Eagle

Brews

I got this on E-bay some time ago, for somewhat less than these usually go for. For some patriotic reason, I guess, they go for much more than most of the range. This was missing his carbine (and I was aware of this when I placed my bid). I'd always intended substituting a carbine from the Airfix Multi-pose set for US infantry. I started attacking this tonight. The task of converting the carbine is relatively simple - to cut off the wooden stock and replace it with a pistol grip and folding metal stock, which I'll do with some wire of appropriate thickness.

So to the build - here is the box:

CIMG0457.jpg

And here is the armless metal man:

CIMG0453.jpg

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him!

CIMG0454.jpg

You will note the sawn-off carbine.

I've done as much as I wish to tonight. I determined that the trooper's arms are not, in fact his. There is a row of buttons on the cuff which I cut off, and some putty was required around his armpits. The M1 carbine has, however, progressed to the point of happiness except for the folding stock, for which I found some wire.

CIMG0459-1.jpg

Edit: Grrr! Frigging digital cameras! Jjust noticed a sink mark in his right forearm (elbow area).

By the way, here is a link to what I'm trying to emulate with the carbine.

Edited by Brews

Thank you, Mish. You will have noticed, I'm sure, the Sherman bogies lying around on the bench. I need to clean up some awkward seams on those, before I can paint them, attach them to the hull, and paint/attach the tracks. This build is a necessary (to my mind) distraction from that tedium.

Edited by Brews

Here is the state of the carbine:

CIMG0463.jpg

I read some interesting things about the carbine on Wikipedia. Firstly, I thought that all carbines were M1 carbines. Not so, apparently. This paratrooper version is the M1A1. The M2 was capable of selective fire (semi or full automatic). The M3 was used in the Far East, and had active infra-red sights (effective up to 70m). Cool, huh!

Edited by Brews

A little update:

I had brushed a coat of Citadel "Black Ink" over this a couple of nights ago. Tonight, I used some water colour pencils and brushed white into the eye sockets, and skin tones around the face and hands, and pencilled eyebrows on. Possibly put the eyebrows in the wrong spot <G>. I then mixed up some acrylics and painted the helmet, jump suit and parachutes / packs etc. I'm not happy with the colours, but I think that the contrast is about right, so maybe I'll mix up a thin oil filter and brush that on tomorrow.

Edit to include pics:

CIMG0466.jpg

CIMG0467.jpg

Looking at those pics, I'm not even happy with the contrast now!

Edited by Brews

Hi Brews

I'm looking forward to see what you do with this. In their time the Monogram figures were way ahead of practically anything else available. I collected a few of them. This was my US Para (no jokes about it being done so long ago that colour film wasn't available!):

MonogramMeriteUSParatrooper-1.jpg

I remember that I had the same problem with the M1 carbine - I replaced it with a Thompson.

Al

Edited by Al Gunthwaite

Thanks, Al. I've since read that the paras also used M1 Carbines (i.e. with wooden stocks) so if you think my attempt at the folding stock is too ham-fisted (I can't find my long-nose pliers!) then I can always change weapons to a that one ... or the M1 Garand, or a Bazooka ...

• 2 months later...