1/48th 1950`s Fleet Air Arm

Hiya Folks,

Here are some of the other Fleet Air Arm kits which I`ve had the chance to finish off lately!!

BRIT-7.jpg

Aeromaster Meteor converted into a Meteor TT.18, from 728 NAS, Hal Far, Malta, using left over TT parts from the PP Aeroparts Firefly 4/5 kit.

It still needs a wash over to highlight the control surfaces etc!

BRIT-9.jpg

BRIT-8.jpg

Battleaxe C-45 built as a post war Beech Expeditor from 728 NAS, Hal Far, Malta

BRIT-5.jpg

BRIT-6.jpg

Aeroclub Dragon Rapide built using kit markings for a restored example in RN markings for Culham Station Flight.I was not sure whether this a/c had the windows in the roof so I left them off...which made it easier to add the fabric effect to the roof area!!

BRIT-4.jpg

Airfix Seafire 46 in markings for Lossiemouth Station Flight

BRIT-12.jpg

Accurate Miniatures TMB-3 Avenger built as an Avenger AS.4/5 of 815 NAS at Eglinton, the Harp on the nose came from the old Frog Gannet decal sheet!

Hope you like em....

Tony O

• Like 36

Excellent stuff! Coming from Oxford I'm particularly interested in the Rapide as Culham is only about eight miles from my parants house and over the years I have done a lot of research on the base.

Martin

• Like 1

All good. Meteor looks great, but I have a man who tells me those lower surface strips were lime green, not yellow. Unfortunately I did mine in yellow aswell!

And as for the finish on that Avenger, superb!

cheers

Grant

• Like 1

All good. Meteor looks great, but I have a man who tells me those lower surface strips were lime green, not yellow. Unfortunately I did mine in yellow aswell!

And as for the finish on that Avenger, superb!

cheers

Grant

Hiya Grant.

Glad you like the Meteor mate......was the person who quoted the lime green stripes a Scotsman with a white beard who lives in Yorkshire by any chance? If so he`s said the same to me but I`ve seen colour photos that prove that the stripes on these Meteors were actually yellow...especially those out in Malta...there may have been one or two with lime green stripes somewhere but I`ve never seen them and would think it was probably later in their service anyway, maybe with the FRU at Bournemouth!!!

Thanks for mentioning the finish on the Avenger...its brush painted just like most of my other models, apart from silver ones which are spray painted from a can!!

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

great subjects , all well rendered . - the finish on the avenger is breathtaking , tony - what paints did you use ? :wub: - blimp

Glad you liked them, for the Avenger I used the old Humbrol 181 Glossy Sea Blue enamel (FS15042) which is no longer available..but was easily the best representation of this colour. It was applied with a wide flat brush and if anybody has some unopend tins that they don`t want I`ll gladly buy them from you!!!

Cheers

Tony O

• 10 years later...
4 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Lovely collection here Tony I hadn't seen before.

Thanks mate,.....  some of my older ones!!! 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2009 at 8:19 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Grant.

Glad you like the Meteor mate......was the person who quoted the lime green stripes a Scotsman with a white beard who lives in Yorkshire by any chance? If so he`s said the same to me but I`ve seen colour photos that prove that the stripes on these Meteors were actually yellow...especially those out in Malta...there may have been one or two with lime green stripes somewhere but I`ve never seen them and would think it was probably later in their service anyway, maybe with the FRU at Bournemouth!!!

Thanks for mentioning the finish on the Avenger...its brush painted just like most of my other models, apart from silver ones which are spray painted from a can!!

All the best

Tony

Well, I'm not a Scotsman nor have a white beard (though it would be if I grew one) but I am from Yorkshire and I saw and recorded both yellow/black and lime green/black Meteor TT.20s in the late sixties.  The former were at Exeter and the latter at Hurn.  I did photograph the Hurn examples in colour but to my dismay the prints came out showing yellow on the undersides! I can only assume that this was due to the fluorescent nature of the paint.  So be careful when drawing conclusions from colour prints!  If anyone has the time and interest I think there was an informative thread on the the Flypast historical site some years ago.

Excellent modelling Tony.  As ever.

CT

PS. I think both schemes were used in Malta.

Edited by Chris Thomas
additional information
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Well, I'm not a Scotsman nor have a white beard (though it would be if I grew one) but I am from Yorkshire and I saw and recorded both yellow/black and lime green/black Meteor TT.20s in the late sixties.  The former were at Exeter and the latter at Hurn.  I did photograph the Hurn examples in colour but to my dismay the prints came out showing yellow on the undersides! I can only assume that this was due to the fluorescent nature of the paint.  So be careful when drawing conclusions from colour prints!  If anyone has the time and interest I think there was an informative thread on the the Flypast historical site some years ago.

Excellent modelling Tony.  As ever.

CT

PS. I think both schemes were used in Malta.

Thanks Chris,

Nice to hear from you and thanks for your findings. I knew that Lime Green was used (my friend with the White beard was constantly reminding me of the fact too!) and had a feeling that the Lime Green was later in their service,...... so thanks for conforming it,..... I know exactly what you mean about fluorescent paint being hard to photograph too! I will have a look out for the Flypast forum article too,..... some very well informed people on there, including yourself.

Here is a photo from my own collection which was taken in Malta in the 1960`s,... with what is I think the famous Malta Constellation in the background,.....one of the spinners of which now adorn the Hurricane at Takali!!;

806d1cd1-a868-4132-b9e3-2fa2d17cd7ab.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 3

A great collection showing some lovely work. Favourites are difficult but the Rapide is a beauty (and I do like the contra-rotating props on the Seafire!)

Thanks for sharing,

P.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice that @85sqn gave this thread a revisit. I don't recall seeing it, maybe before I found Britmodeller or maybe too old for the memory banks to retain. :( Some lovely builds there @tonyot they are definitely worth the revisit.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... nice of you to say so mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for your kind words everybody.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1