Hawker P1083

Hi , back to normal service, :hobbyhorse: .....this is / will be the Silver Cloud conversion of the Revell Hunter F6 to make the proposed supersonic Hunter development set to paper in 1951 and envisaged to enter service in 1953.Due to economic cutbacks following the Korean war the project was cancelled and the whole idea shelved, on the grounds of cost and the fact that newer purpose built supersonic aircraft were in the pipeline...

The Silver Cloud resin set is as to be expected of very high quality with no blemishes or mould problems to be found anywhere and are designed to be direct replacements parts for the lovely little Revell F6 kit.It should be a fairly quick build ( famous last words !!) , as all the parts fit beautifully.The only real work involved will be cutting a square out of the rear underside fuselage and inserting the new panel with the NACA duct where the airbrake should be.Luckily Revell supply the airbrake as a seperate item so it's not moulded onto the fuselage, ( same with the gun packs!).For reference I am using the Barry Hygate bible, which has superb line drawings of the proposed prototype and all relevant painting and markings guide.

The Revell kit is a gem and has been covered else where.

My thanks to Colin at Freightdog for the set....(.Fairey Delta 3 next ??...no ...oh well worth a shot ...lol),

As the line drawings and resin set represent the proposed prototype rather than a production machine, ( which would probably have had an uprated RA 14 Avon and therefore redesigned intakes and afterburner area) I am going to build it as such and paint in in Hawkers luverly gloss 'duck egg' green.

So on with the 'pit , stay tuned ,

Thanks ,

The General...

P1010556.jpg

[P1010558.jpg

P1010559.jpg

P1010561.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys ...bit more progress this morning,

Cockpit painted , washed and detailed, seat is an Aeroclub white metal job and is being painted a bit later,

P1010570Medium.jpg

P1010577Medium.jpg

fuselage bonded , pit in,

P1010580Medium.jpg

splitter plate MUST be carefully glued into place to ensure snug fit into resin intakes...

P1010564Medium.jpg

a bit of work needed on the tail...removal of cone and filling with card...

P1010563Medium.jpg

Cheers all ....

:gobsmacked:

You don't hang about Andy, do you?!

Looks good so far, I nabbed myself one of those Silver Cloud conversions on Sunday, but I don't plan to use the F.6 kit. My idea is to bodge the parts into a F.Mk.58 kit and do a later export version of the supersonic Hunter, maybe Swiss, maybe Luftwaffe :evil_laugh:

My thanks to Colin at Freightdog for the set....(.Fairey Delta 3 next ??...no ...oh well worth a shot ...lol),

Sorry old bean, I think you will find that Colin's next kit will be Hawker's finest (unbuilt) hour the P.1121..... ain't that so Colin..... :please: oh well we can but hope!

Watching with great interest General Sah! :popcorn:

:cheers:

Duncan

Thanks Dunc , try to keep the blighters guessing eh...!! :whistle:

Think Colins had enough hints for now, I'm sure he mentioned doing a ...........................................................oh no ,it was just a dream !!!. :frantic:

He's aware that Whirlybird have a lot of the old Maintrack moulds and doesn't want to tread on too many feet ! still there's plenty of choice left , :analintruder:

Good idea with the Fmk 58 , only thing to remember is that the production machine would have had the uprated Avon RA 19R , which would have needed new intakes to handle the higher air mass and a larger tail pipe to house the bigger reheat unit, but in the world of what-if? anything goes .

. :speak_cool:

Edited by general melchett

Thanks chaps , Col should be ready fairly soon, just putting the detail stuff on now before it gets a couple of coats of Alclad primer.

Robert , you wont be disappointed , only thing to watch for is thickness of trailing edges , a fair bit of sanding is required as on my set at least , the edges needed a bit of work. Also watch the wing tips as mine were quite warped , nothing a dip in hot water and gentle persuasion can't cure !!

A few more pics....

P1010587.jpg

The dark areas around the fronts of the wings are where I've primed and painted the insides of the intakes.

P1010588.jpg

cockpit detail before cleaning up .I used an Aeroclub seat as it has a lot more detail and more importantly has the weight to stop the model becoming a tail sitter !!!

P1010594.jpg

All the joints are treated with the usual Mr Dissolved Putty , to get rid of any gaps and tidy joint lines up ...

P1010595.jpg

P1010596.jpg

P1010597.jpg

I have one on order so looking forward to see the finished article. A P.1121 :pray:

,....couldn't resist it Robert , the original Maintrack kit on the final assembly line ... :wicked:

P1010589.jpg

P1010590.jpg

And next project .. the .uber rare P1154 RN vac kit ....all cut out and ready for cleaning up. :jump_fire:

P1010591.jpg

Hi Col , I haven't forgotten it , it's just that I thought it would be easier and quicker to do it myself with my trusty Dremel. As the airbrake wasn't moulded into the fuselage I thought I would leave the shape well alone, not that there's anything wrong with the resin 'plug' , just my preference.

I've had a good ask around and the general consensus on colour scheme for the prototype is that it would have been finished in the companies gloss 'duck egg' green colour. Not sure about stencils though , have to look at the prototype F3 for ideas...

Cheers now,(def be ready for Cosford !),

Andy

Interesting comparason shot There I thought the P.1121 was a lot larger than a P.1083. I have the Whirlybird kit of the P.1121 which I hope to make one day but might have to put on hold if a resin kit arrives.

Robert

might have to put on hold if a resin kit arrives.
.....might be on hold for a long time Robert ...If you're up to vacforming then have a go at it , they really aren't that difficult if you take things nice and slow... especially with the sanding...

Colin , just finished Dremelling my NACA duct, ( sounds like a painful affliction !!), just a tidy up and rescribe and it should be done.

P1010598Medium.jpg

Looking good Andy, I suspect I won't need to wait long for a finished model pic for my website! First 20 or so sets already sold out, more expected by monday. I'll ask Ali to keep the moulds topped up....

You have got as bit further than Mike McEvoy has, but then again he is building 3 at the same time!

Colin

Flippin' 'eck General, give me a chance to keep up, willya??!! No wonder I'm always late when you go at this pace - I thought it was supposed to be the Hunter that was supersonic.....!!! :pilot:

Crackin' build again of a very pretty little aeroplane! Funny thing is that I was given the Warpaint Hunter book yesterday by a generous friend in our club, & WB188, the 'duck egg green' prototype caught my eye as being a fairly simple conversion of the 75% built Revell F6 I have had waiting to be finished for the last 6 months! Any thoughts as to what you're going to use for the colour? :mellow:

Keef

Colin , great news that they're selling well , that's what it's all about :thumbsup: !!Mike never mentioned that he was doing 3 f them :analintruder: , still he's a fairly quick builder himself so shouldn't be too far behind, I know he has a bit of a thing going on with the Hunter... :wub:

Keef....keep up man !! :bleh: .....I'm going to play it safe by using the gloss 'duck egg ' green as that was used by Hawker as their house colour chosen for many of their early jets , including the P 1067 Hunter, it was also touted for the prototype P 1121, ( the mock up was actually painted in this scheme).

Have a go at WB188 would be a fairly straight forward build, and look superb in that scheme!!

I feel that lots of What-if's are going to show up soon, but how many of them realise that this particular conversion was only based on the original Hawker drawings ( as in the Barry Hygate book) , and that the operational version would have had larger intakes and rear end to feed the much wider Avon RA 14 with reheat that was to power it?. Be interesting to see what people do, I'm sticking with the proto !!

Andy

Keef....keep up man !! :bleh: .....I'm going to play it safe by using the gloss 'duck egg ' green as that was used by Hawker

Errrr - I meant what model paint are you going to use for the model aeroplane...... :doh: - and you tell me to keep up....... :tease::D

Just noticed the seat too - lovely belts you have on there, very nicely done. :speak_cool:

One last thing, where did you get the Mr Dissolved Putty? I had some on order frrom Hiroboy, but he's sold out.....

Cheers

Keef

AH..... :blush: .........fair point old fruit ...(note to self........... don't ever live in a glass house !!! :whistle:),

I nabbed a bottle of Tamiya XF-21 sky whilst at Huddersfield as it's a very close match...so with a bit of tweaking ...........

As for Mr DP got mine from Hiroboy a while back, ( several in fact )as it's the best filler out there , in my very 'umble opinion..

I noticed someone selling it at Huddersfield ( didn't catch the vendor!),but I know he'll be at Cosford if you can hang on a while..!!

Lee , Good point I'll have a good look around ,

By the way the Valiant B2 is all cut out , sanded down and ready for assembly , don't want you to think I'm slacking !! ;)

Now off to finish the undercarriage,

Final bit for today...

bays and gear airbrushed in Alclad , dull aluminium, aluminium and duralumin, light wash to follow,

P1010604Medium.jpg

bye for now ,

Das General... :bling: