ForgeWorld Hydra Flak Tank

Something a bit different I thought. Something to take me out of the modelling doldrums after doing waaay too many serious builds just lately.

This item fits into the 40K Warhammer type universe, where everyone in existence is fighting everyone else...not a very good looking future...:D...but they sure do have some good looking machines to fight with.

Anyway, this beastie is an air-defence item. following along the lines of the gepard or maybe the NsU-23 type thing...big guns, pointing upwards, you know what I mean.

I picked this up at the SMW show in Telford last November and have just started putting it together so I thought you'd like to see some it.

This here is the box contents...you're looking at £40 worth of stuff right there...

Hydra.jpg

basically you get a plastic tank from the Games Workshop side of the universe and then ForgeWorld do their own, seriously mad, seriously brilliant resin conversions for it.

Hydra004.jpg

Those are the main resin parts and even though they are usually pretty good from these people, there are sme serious flaws.

The first of which is the fact that there are two Left-hand guns in the box and not a left and right as needed for the conversion. I've phoned them up and a very nice chap called Ed has told me that they will cast a replacement and send it on it's way...no sign of it yet though...:(

The other flaw is a HUGE seam line along one of the cannon units...

Hydra003.jpg

Now that's going to take some smoothing off I can tell you...oh well...

The main hull of the tank is very easy to assemble...these guys could teach the main-stream makers a thing or two about track location...

Hydra002.jpg

I did do some scratchbuilding of the upper hull plate though as it was just a crap fit between the resin bits and the plastic.

Yeah, some serious clean-up required as shown in your 3rd photo. A lot of sci-fi & fantasy kits have multiple molding problems to challenge the skills of the builder...yet I've met many modellers who don't consider this genre to be "serious" modelling....never could figure that one out. :confused:

Nice build you got going so far tho.

Jen...you'll see the scheme soon...patience young one...:)

sciford...I have to admit that I don't take this kind of stuff seriously...I just love it...:)

next bits...the main hull has been assembled and given a good scrubbing in preparation for the paint job...

Hydra005.jpg

then it all gets a good coat of Halfords primer to start it off...

Hydra008.jpg

beginning to look a bit more interesting I guess...

...still waiting on the replacement guns so I've been tootling along with the painting bits for the main hull...

Hydra011.jpg

it's basically matt Olive drab (LifeColor acrylic) and the masked off area is going to be a white identification band...

Hydra012.jpg

then the whole lot was given a pretty heavy oil wash to deepen the recesses and dry brushed with light brown oil paints to pick out the details...

The tracks were painted with Dark Earth and then scrubbed with some pencil graphite to give them a metallic oily kind of sheen...probably do a lot more of that later when all the panting is finished...

exhast smoke courtesy of LifeColor matt black & Burnt Umber...

Hydra014.jpg

more soon I think 'cos it's starting to come together now...got some figure painting to do...

Houston, we have a problem...(sorry I know, bad joke...I'll get me coat)

No the replacement guns are nowere to be seen yet so it's all stalled and the tank is back inh it's box...gimme a minute and I'll post the rest of the build up to the re-box point...

All the decals are on now (from a Tamiya King Tiger)....and a bit more weathering...

Hydra015.jpg

This includes the turret (minus guns of course, still no sign of them) and it's beginnning to look a bit more military...

Hydra021.jpg

So then I got on with the little driver figure and more detail bits and pieces...

Hydra017.jpg

AS well as the commander...shouty man!

Hydra023.jpg

I do hope the new set of guns turns up soon so I can get it finished.

Where had we got to?...oh yeah...the shouty man is just about done...

P-39whatIF002-2.jpg

as is the hull...more weathering with dark brown and black stuff around the lower section of the tracks...

Hydra018.jpg

And the turret is set onto the hull...waiting for the cannons!!!

Hydra026.jpg

Now then, that post behind the commanders coupla is just begging for a little pennant or flag of some sort so it was out with the 0.010" plastic card and something suitable was sliced up...

P-39whatIF003.jpg

painted with a nice bright colour (presumably to identify the unit) and bearing the great two-headed Eagle of the Emperor (bow down at his name you unworthy dogs!)...

P-39whatIF005-1.jpg

P-39whatIF006.jpg

and that's it...the whole thing is now consigned back to it's box while we wait patiently at the door for Mr. PostMan to bring us the promised goodies....hope he hurries up... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That looks really good, I love the weathering and general feel of it :)

I see you had two of the 3 big problems with forgeworld kits, wrong parts (sometimes it seems they must get at least one part wrong in every kit), and bad mold lines, but not the third which is the release agent (I don't know what they use, but it drives my brother nuts trying to clean it off his models).