Type XXIII

Pappy

G'day people,

ICMTypeXXIII006.jpg

Here is somthing that I was working on this past weekend. It is the ICM 1/144 Type XXIII. this is a nice little kit that went together over a few days.

ICMTypeXXIII001.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII004.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII002.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII003.jpg

I added a few little details like the ladder rungs on the front of the sail, the observer's bino's and the gangaway railing and rigging. Not a bad little kit, not great need for filler and lots of detail to pop out with a wash and drybrush,

ICMTypeXXIII016.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII017.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII018.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII013.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII014.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII010.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII012.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII007.jpg

ICMTypeXXIII008.jpg

enjoy!

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Nice build pappy, seems to be more subs getting into the forums nowadays. Nice realistic rust stains. :goodjob:

G'day Mish,

Thanks for the kind words. I think that the more subs on the forums the better.

I don't know how realistic my weathering efforts are in this case as the Type XXIII's were not in service for very long, and they were mainly designed as coastal boats rather than the open sea, but it makes for a more interetsting looking sub kit.

I am willing to accept criticism that the weathering is overdone, but I don't regret it!

cheers,

Pappy

sorry Mish, but i feel i have to say it . . .

perhaps there should be a sub forum

:coat:

Lovely build Pappy :thumbsup:

That's really nice Pappy. Great job!
Very nice! Weathering looks just right to me.

If you don’t mind me asking, how’d you get that wood effect on the deck, Oil colours?

Mart

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Mart the wood effect was achieved using oil paints. I applied a coat of XF-59 and when dry, used a cotton bud (the ear cleaning type) to streak som raw umber artist oil paint along it. Normally I would use a hair dryer to help the oil paint dry a little quicker, but seeing as how it was a balmy 32 degrees © outside, I just left it in the sun for a few hours. oil paints can take weeks to dry otherwise,

cheers,

Pappy

Cheers for that.

May have to give it a go, as it looks quite effective. :thumbsup2:

Mart

It is dead easy, but I would advise that you practice on something first, say a prop blade? I didn't realise that the gangway was wooden until after I had stated painting the sub. If I had known I would have left off the front bollards part as it was a little ticklish trying to get the streak effect of the oil paint to go all the way to the edge of the 'wood' areas, but otherwise it is pretty easy

I like that a lot and, I would say the weathering is very realistic and not overdone at all

Thanks Perry!