World Famous Pukin' Dogs

Well, 'Project; Phantom' is finally finished, the build thread can be seen here Linkso I present for your approval 'Taproom 307' the Phantom flown by LTJG Robert Hickey and LTJG Jeremy Morris on their MiG killing mission, downing a MiG-21 on 26 October, 1967. They were the only 'all nugget' (first tour) Mig killers during Rolling Thunder. On to the pics.

PukinDogA.jpg

That's an original, 1960s issue VF-143 cap, by the way, the aviator wings were a gift from a friend.

PukinDogB.jpg

PukinDogC.jpg

PukinDogD.jpg

A view up the burner cans.

FourHorsemen.jpg

My "four horsemen". Front to back; 'Taproom 307', 'Silverkite 211', 'Clubleaf206' and 'Old Nick 201'.

So, there we are, any comments, critiques, etc. gladly accepted and I thnk you for looking.

Gregg,

That is beautiful collection of historical F-4's, and this latest build is simply stunning. My only comment would be that they are all a bit too clean :shrug: Or did the USN keep them that way?

Feel better now youve got your first WIP under your belt :yahoo: I hope you do, because Ive thoroughly enjoyed watching you work.

ATB

Bex

So glad to see this all done Gregg!

It looks absolutely GREAT!

By the way Bex, the photo doesn't really do it justice, but the jet is weathered just right, it's hard to see in the photo. I saw it in person the other night and area around the exhausts and the overall apperance looked spot on.

Cheers!

John

Gregg,

That is beautiful collection of historical F-4's, and this latest build is simply stunning. My only comment would be that they are all a bit too clean :shrug: Or did the USN keep them that way?

Bex

'Silverkite 211', 'Clubleaf 206' and 'Taproom 307' (especially 'Taproom 307) are weathered, it just isn't showing up in the photos well, I guess I need to play around with the settings on the camera and see if I can get worked out. kstater94 can vouch for the weathering on 'Taproom 307', he saw it in person the other day, just before I dullcoated it.

Actually, if you look at photos, Phantoms early in their service life aren't as stained and beat up as some modelers make them, especially the upper surfaces (although I will say that when I built a model of 'Silverkite 211 for the aviator that flew it, he said that he never saw a Phantom quite that clean). There are of course always exceptions to the rule and Marine Corps F-4s did tend to get pretty dirty in service.

I guess this was my first WIP, huh? It was different, I'm used to just popping up with a kit that has been recently finished and saying 'Hey, take a look at this!'

Thanks for the compliment, bex, though I will say again that I am a staggeringly average modeler, anyone could easily make the alterations that I did.

By the way Bex, the photo doesn't really do it justice, but the jet is weathered just right, it's hard to see in the photo. I saw it in person the other night and area around the exhausts and the overall apperance looked spot on.

John

Hmm, beat me to it, I see. Maybe with your better camera and photo skills we can get a better picture of it sometime.

FourHorsemen.jpg

This pics makes me think about never-ending discussions about any camo colour, on the net and in the modelling universe in general:

I'm nearly sure you paint those F-4 with the same 36440 grey.

But none of them looks loke the other, due to the daylight.

B)

Well done!

;)

This pics makes me think about never-ending discussions about any camo colour, on the net and in the modelling universe in general:

I'm nearly sure you paint those F-4 with the same 36440 grey.

But none of them looks loke the other, due to the daylight.

B)

Well done!

;)

Actually, 'Old Nick 201' was painted with Gunze Sangyo paint, however the rest were all painted with Model Master enamels. And you're right, even if you could see them in person they are all subtly different, despite using the same brand of paint, 'Taproom 307' is slightly darker than 'Silverkite 211', which is slightly darker than 'Clubleaf 206'. I bet that you feel the same way that I do about paint, that if it looks correct to your eye that is what matters most (providing the "correct" FS number paint was used, that is).

Lovely work Gregg, :goodjob:

Thank you, Mish. :)

Now yu can see the subtle weathering :worthy:

Bex

However I still didn't capture the weathering as well as I would like. Maybe I'll try playing with the camera and see what happens.

Actually, 'Old Nick 201' was painted with Gunze Sangyo paint, however the rest were all painted with Model Master enamels. And you're right, even if you could see them in person they are all subtly different, despite using the same brand of paint, 'Taproom 307' is slightly darker than 'Silverkite 211', which is slightly darker than 'Clubleaf 206'. I bet that you feel the same way that I do about paint, that if it looks correct to your eye that is what matters most (providing the "correct" FS number paint was used, that is).

You're right... Even if I confess that I don't always use the correct FS n°.

;)