Italeri 1:72 M4A1

Brews

Brews, I've never been too impressed by the brush-cutter included with the Revell 1/72 Cromwell, it's certainly wrong for that vehicle and doesn't really look like any particular cutter I've seen.....You can chop it to bits and make some interesting variations on the general theme though. :pipe:

I've got a spare Dragon photo-etch brush-cutter, from their Normandy M4A1, which would probably be more suitable.....PM your address if you want it. :)

All the best

Sgt.S

Brews, I've never been too impressed by the brush-cutter included with the Revell 1/72 Cromwell, it's certainly wrong for that vehicle and doesn't really look like any particular cutter I've seen.....You can chop it to bits and make some interesting variations on the general theme though. :pipe:

I've got a spare Dragon photo-etch brush-cutter, from their Normandy M4A1, which would probably be more suitable.....PM your address if you want it. :)

Thanks for the offer, Andy, and I will take you up on it. I have spent most of tonight doing some research (always a good thing BEFORE a build) and yes, noted that the Cromwell hedgecutter is a bit of an odd thing. Still can't find markings for a tank that will suit me, so I might settle for a "generic" US Sherman, after all, we KNOW that M4A1 Big Hatch 75mm dry stowage tanks were used in Normandy ... somewhere.

I did roll up some brass foil, and cut it up to use for the fishtail exhausts, after I'd smeared some Mr Surfacer onto the offending marks in the underside of the upper hull, that are visible if you look in that direction. Less visible now that the exhausts are in place. I'm ready to paint it, actually. I don't want to add things like Periscope guards, and lights, and horns before it's just about complete, because I'll only knock them off, like I broke the bow m.g. (too thin, anyway, IMHO). BTW, I found pictures of the Whizz Bang tank minus the whizz bangers, and a couple of photos of M4A3s with the exact same track link racks, welded to the rear corners of the upper hull. Nifty. It let the stowage rack be used for a Big Wooden Box.

The Sonic Tanks reminded me of Oddball, but I digress (although I do have an M4A3(76) with the regular T23 turret that I can backdate to an M4A3(76) with M4 turret, with this pipe that maybe makes the Krauts think it's like, maybe a 90mm) :)

Good night!

I gave it its first coat of Gunze H304 tonight. I started doing the bogies too (as I need to get these painted before I assemble the Link and Length tracks) but I realized that I hadn't cleaned the seams up on them. I started doing that, but real life got in the way of modelling,and I'll get on with it tomorrow. I think I cleaned my airbrush ...

I can see the end in sight for this now. I really dreaded tidying up those bogies, you know. Here are pics from today:

CIMG0468.jpg

CIMG0469.jpg

CIMG0470.jpg

CIMG0472.jpg

CIMG0473.jpg

CIMG0474.jpg

CIMG0475.jpg

CIMG0476.jpg

CIMG0477.jpg

Track skids to be painted;

Tracks to be painted and assembled;

Hull details to be painted / assembled;

Turret details to be assembled / painted (including .50cal).

Thanks again, Mish. You're not going to complain about the depth of colour on this one, then? Actually, the flash tends to wash it out somewhat, but I'm ok with it. I plan on more weathering after the decals are on, but the colour didn't look quite right before I added the oils.

It's more or less standing on its own feet now. Tracks are painted but I want to give them a coat of Klear (branded Future here) before I use the Gator's Glue, as I've got a mix of oils and water colours on them.

CIMG0484.jpg

CIMG0487.jpg

Glad you got 'em OK mate.....Look forward to seeing them in situ. :speak_cool:

This build has inspired me to have a look at a couple of my Italeri M4A1s again.....Despite it's numerous quirks it's still a decent base model with really good tracks and running gear and even has a partial interior. If you like 1/72 Shermans, it's certainly worth investing in a few of these if only for the spares box, but as you are demonstrating it can still be built up into a very respectable model. :pipe:

All the best

Sgt.S

• 2 months later...
Glad you got 'em OK mate.....Look forward to seeing them in situ. :speak_cool:

This build has inspired me to have a look at a couple of my Italeri M4A1s again.....Despite it's numerous quirks it's still a decent base model with really good tracks and running gear and even has a partial interior. If you like 1/72 Shermans, it's certainly worth investing in a few of these if only for the spares box, but as you are demonstrating it can still be built up into a very respectable model. :pipe:

All the best

Sgt.S

Gotta get some new drive sprockets though the kit ones are awful!