1/24 Merc G Wagon Ambulances

Okdoky

Hi Folks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Another Double Header for a "Die Bundeswehr" Campaign Build

Truly a double header

DoubleheaderGWagon001.jpg

Ambulanceconversions009.jpg

Only kidding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have two of these kits and both are not now sitting on the get round to it pile.

Ambulanceconversions001.jpg

One will be the van

mercedes-benz-g-class-lwb-van-1999.gif

The other the box van

Miesen_MercedesG_Ambulance_Box-Type.gif

Drawing photocopied to scale helps so much

Ambulanceconversions002.jpg

The first cut is the deepest ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Baby I know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The first cut is the deepest !!

Ambulanceconversions003.jpg

Ambulanceconversions004.jpg

End of evening's work

Ambulanceconversions008.jpg

Ambulanceconversions007.jpg

Anyone fancy a 6x6 G Wagon Limo?

Off to a good start on the campaign trail.

Nige

Thanks Danny

Will maybe find a use for the chopped tail of the wagon (maybe as a DIY trailor for from a scrappy for civvy subject) waist not want not. The van body is still playing second fiddle to the box body for now.

shortenedcab002.jpg

Set to work on the chassis, steering and axles. I am really impressed by the simple, snug and secure fitting that make up the steering components. All very precise and a dream to put together with minimum of glue needed.

shortenedcab003.jpg

I will need to set out supports for the front of the box

shortenedcab004.jpg

shortenedcab001.jpg

Since the cab is quite small I thought I would also open it up and try my hand at adding interior detais like the door frames, 'A' pillars, interior cills and the like.

cabdoorsoff002.jpg

I only have a couple of interior pics to go by so I still have to hunt around on the web for more to add

cabdoorsoff003.jpg

Any pics of the cills and rear of the driver's compartment would be greatly appreciated.

Nige

Hi folks

Hi Paul

I hope someone can help me as I have hit a minor snag.

I have realised that the drawings I have must be a slightly different (possibly older) version of the Kofferaufbau (Box Body) van type and on looking at the reference Marco and Frenchy gave me it gives different overall dimensions for the vehicle than the ones on the drawings.

This is the type I want to build.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Holl...ce_Dutch_01.jpg

My main problem is just the dimensions of the box in the photos. If I can get that right I can work around the rest. I tried to do some proportions from the pictures I have but the different picture angles and views are throwing me a lot so no two dimensions seem to work out.

Or maybe I am just thick

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE BASIC DIMENSIONS Has anybody got one of these sitting outside their back door?

Hope you can help

Nige

Waiting for some info on chassis length for the box body which hopefully will come tomorrow. Meanwhile had a chance to work on the van body for a change.

bw_lkw_00-5t_gl_bat-1755.jpg

Chassis length and body are the same as the kit so only needed cutting of the rear pillars

Vanbody006.jpg

Vanbody001.jpg

filling the rear door panel lines with Revell Plasto

Vanbody002.jpg

The two cabs

Vanbody003.jpg

Blanking off the windows makes it the van body

Vanbody004.jpg

Nige

Yee haa

Thanks to Marco on Armorama and a certain Dr Sun of Zeppelin Gmbh I now have the detailed dimensions for the build complete down the damned chassis dimensions !

I say damned cause I was daft enough to go by by first gut instinct and change Its wheelbase from 285 cm to 312 cm and did such a good job on the glue.

Chassisfix001.jpg

Yes that is real blood and the offending weapon trying to prise out the plastic insert in the chassis

Chassisfix002.jpg

So now I really do have real blood on my meat wagon. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, realistic or what ?????

Blood sweat and tears and all I have to show for tonight is the new chassi length.

Chassisfix005.jpg

But at least I know it is now correct length.

Thanks Marco and Dr Sun

I had a chance to cut some plastic last night and now have the basic box

boxstart003.jpg

All held together with blu tac just to check proportions.

boxstart001.jpg

I am quite pleased the proportions of the kit and box match

boxstart002.jpg

Internal wheelarches formed still to be filled and smoothed off

boxstart004.jpg

Nige

Hi there

Got round to cutting the windows tonight

gmodellkl03-1.jpg

boxbodywindows002.jpg

There seems to be capabilty to vary the design of the ambulance slightly including spare wheel location as on here

gmodel02.jpg

or located on the roof

bw_lkw_00-9t_gl_krkw-0625i.jpg

And load out inside like this in the newer layout

gmodellkl03-1.jpg

or like this in the older version

bw_lkw_00-9t_gl_krkw-0632i.jpg

Nige

Hi there

Got around to making up the second, van bodied chassis and this time built without a cut and shut. Oh the joy of not mixing up the length on this one.

comparison003.jpg

Comparison of chassis length

comparison001.jpg

How the two look tonight

Ambulancerow001.jpg

The white minibus at the back is also a Mercedes and is for a further conversion project to another ambulance. The body comes from a kids toy but should be easily shaped into the van body

Ambulancerow002.jpg

wolf_mb_250_gd_san_avant_gauche.jpg

db_608d_ka_xl.jpg

Nige

Hi folks

Worked on the gurny or stretcher support frame for the van body.

gurnyconstruction007.jpg

Two channels made from folded tin foil carry out trays which gives a really nice scale thickness to the frame.

gurnyconstruction001.jpg

Supplemented the frame with additional I section and z section plastruct to form a resemblance of the support structure

gurnyconstruction003.jpg

Also used stretched sprue and wire to resemble the various parts that I understand must lock the gurny into place for transit.

gurnyconstruction002.jpg

Also made up a tray that sits under the frame made out of tin foil again scored and folded

gurnyconstruction006.jpg

I have added the bars that I would think control the locking and unlocking of the gurny that will role on castors in the u channels.

gurnyconstruction004.jpg

I am quite pleased with how the frame sits over the wheel arch

gurnyconstruction005.jpg

Hope you like

Nige

Had time to make up the support frame for the heart and breathing monitor (I think)

Made the frame from tin foil again using my own form of hold and fold equipment

Heartmonitorsupportframe001.jpg

I have made it so I can glue it to the rear bench seat cussion for placing in the vehicle after painting

Heartmonitorsupportframe002.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe003.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe004.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe005.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe006.jpg

As it looks now

Heartmonitorsupportframe007.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe008.jpg

Heartmonitorsupportframe009.jpg

Nige

Don't ya just hate coming across another photo that shows a better angle just after you have finished an area of construction !!!!!!!!!!

Damn

bw_lkw_00-5t_gl_lbat-IMGP1066i.jpg

Will need to adjust the length of the bench seat, floor and tray under the cradle (shorter) and change the support at the front end of the cradle.

I am in two minds about starting again on the cradle as the various stops and levers that hold the gurny on the cradle are a lot more visible on this picture.

What do you reckon?

Nige

I could say "just put a stretcher on what you've built so beautifully and be done with it"... but I've never seen you build that way so I think you're going to have to make it so that YOU are happy with the result. I always love watching this type of scratchbuilding (even if the subject isn't really my cup of tea) and I know it can be really disheartening if something isn't "right", but you have to bear in mind that to the rest of us, this looks amazing.

Tell you what. Why not get on with the other one(s) and come back to it? Best of luck.

I am glad I had to redo the cradle.

I figured out a different way to make the supports that also mimicks the rail system that will allow the cradle to slide accross from the side to the middle and back for loading and unloading of the stretcher or gurny.

Cradlerevamp018.jpg

Used the tin foil again and formed a u channel around the I section plastic which became the new cross members of the cradle.

Cradlerevamp019.jpg

Everything came apart easily so no real waste and parts were easily adjusted. I took the oportunity to thin some of the items down and to change the arrrangement of the front and rear supports.

Cradlerevamp014.jpg

Cradlerevamp001.jpg

Cradle in the travelling position

Cradlerevamp011.jpg

Cradlerevamp010.jpg

Cradlerevamp021.jpg

Cradlerevamp020.jpg

And in the load / unload position

Cradlerevamp008.jpg

Cradlerevamp009.jpg

Cradlerevamp022.jpg

Cradlerevamp023.jpg

Am really chuffed with having made mistake for a change as I would not have changed my construction

Happy bunny again

I am glad I had to redo the cradle.

I figured out a different way to make the supports that also mimicks the rail system that will allow the cradle to slide accross from the side to the middle and back for loading and unloading of the stretcher or gurny.

Cradlerevamp018.jpg

Used the tin foil again and formed a u channel around the I section plastic which became the new cross members of the cradle.

Cradlerevamp019.jpg

Everything came apart easily so no real waste and parts were easily adjusted. I took the oportunity to thin some of the items down and to change the arrrangement of the front and rear supports.

Cradlerevamp014.jpg

Cradlerevamp001.jpg

Cradle in the travelling position

WOW!

What a great piece of work.

Makes me want to consider scratch building.

Thank you for sharing this.

Kind regards,

Rob

Cradlerevamp011.jpg

Cradlerevamp010.jpg

Cradlerevamp021.jpg

Cradlerevamp020.jpg

And in the load / unload position

Cradlerevamp008.jpg

Cradlerevamp009.jpg

Cradlerevamp022.jpg

Cradlerevamp023.jpg

Am really chuffed with having made mistake for a change as I would not have changed my construction

Happy bunny again

WOW!

What a great piece of work.

Makes me want to consider scratch building.

Thank you for sharing this.

Kind regards,

Rob

Thank Rob

You should give it a tryas it is quite satifying when something comes together that is not just glued and screwed together OOB. Though it can get to you when a bit just doesn't want to play. Some of the other guys make it look so easy when they do theirs.

Nige

I am tempted Nige but need to finish my 6 wheeled Tyrrell first then the Revel B1 Lancer plus all the normal family stuff.

Take care,

Rob

Did a little bit of corrections and small addition

Revamped the heart monitor support frame and added a strap and buckle all from tin foil

Heartmonitorframe005.jpg

Heartmonitorframe002.jpg

Also aded a couple of tie down straps for some equipment (possibly a folding stretcher) on the side of the rear bench seat. Maybe someone in the Medical Corps can tell me what gets held here normally.

Heartmonitorframe004.jpg

Nige

I thought the gutters around the van are too obvious for them to be ignored especially as there has to be a roofrack fitted with clamps.

How the kit gutters are represented by very basic raised area

gutters005.jpg

I decided to add new gutters from the tin foil again

gutters001-1.jpg

First the long sections

gutters004.jpg

Linked around the back

gutters004-1.jpg

gutters005-1.jpg

Down the windscreen frame

gutters002-1.jpg

gutters003-1.jpg

I also found a textured plastic from stationary store folders to use as headlining in the van and cab.

gutters003.jpg

I am hoping the texture will still show through when the ceiling colour is painted on it.

Nige

Hi there

Does anyone know if the roof gutters on the cab of the box bodied ambulance extend around the rear of the shortenened cab or if they end at the rear edge of the cab sides :-?

Just about to add these gutters but have no close up pics of the roof and behind the cab.

Thanks folks

2 G just became 3 G

Decided that since the bits are the same and the painting process might be easier if done together, I thought I would make the start on the third G wagon

Started life as the long wheel base Rally MB 230 G Paris Dakar

Italeri.jpg

And is going to become one of these

ShortGWagonhardtop.jpg

ShortGWagonhardtoprear.jpg

I wimped out of doing a soft top short G as I am not sure if I would get the interior right but if anyone has another of these Revell or Italeri kits going cheep I might just pursuade myself to give one a try after these

The cut and shut process is fairly basic with nice straight cills to get good measurements on and easy to lay off the right angles from to do the cuts

Shorter001.jpg

Shorter002.jpg

Too late to turn back (either another nice model or more scrap plastic now)

Shorter003.jpg

And after the cut this should be the shut

Shorter004.jpg

Shorter005.jpg

Option two would be to do a soft top but that will be another time I think

Shorter006.jpg

Shorter007.jpg

Nige