My Firefly WIP

Ive made a start tonight. Cant do any spraying (on my M10) as garage out of commission - new tumble dryer arriving tomorrow.

First close look ive had at the detail - its superb. Chasis made up of five parts - not the usual one piece tub - just fell together - superb.

Cant fault it - so far.

firefly1.jpg

Daz I'm part way thru building the Tasca Sherman II DV and it is without doubt the finest armour kit I have ever built. The engineering on these kits has to be seen to be believed and best of all the splash guards and sand shields are made from thin styrene rather than etched brass, which has always been the weakest point of the DML Shermans IMHO as it doesn't give the modeler the choice of mediums.

The weakest/tricky or most gimmicky part of the Tasca Shermans is their "live" suspension, why they have done this I have no idea.

Neil looking good mate and they really are a dream to build aren't they? Please keep the updates coming :popcorn:

Cheers

'Scuse a non-treadhead butting in, but does the 1 piece resin casting add anything other than not having to build the kit parts? Are they better mouldings too? Does the fact that the wheels are integral to the casting not cause a bit of a pain when you're painting it? :)

Hi, I suppose they are a bit of an extravagance.

Kit parts are good but have been made to move realistically. Problem is when tracks are put on, front and rearmost wheels get pulled upwards when they should remain flat on the floor, giving a rocking chair effect to the suspension.

These have better texture and detail than the kit parts.

Will spray wheels and hand paint tyres before fitting to tank - not too muche of a problem with fine brush, thinned paint, magnifier and a steady hand.

Some builders complete the tank including stowage and tracks before getting the paint out

Wow it was certainly worth the evening’s effort Neil, the stowage box looks great. The whole kit's coming along really nicely, I can't wait to see it with some paint on. By the way what are you going to use paint wise for a British tank circa 1944?

Also, those AFV (Skybow) Tigers are really the ducks nuts and go together beautifully. I hope you don't mind but here's one I did a couple of years ago.

Tiger1Fin8.jpg

Tiger1Fin1.jpg

Cracking build that!

Just ordered 1/35 Dragon late Tiger with Zimmerit - should be here in the morning. Will make a start on the AFV Tiger as a break from the Firefly. Seems a pretty simple build - need to hone my airbrush skills before trying German camo.

Not sure what i'll paint the Firefly with. I'll check some other build articles - Khaki drab looks favourite though will undercoat in a darker green as preshade. Not into mud and heavy weathering so will see how it goes.

Edited by Derbyeomanry