1/48 P-47D

Maxidad

This'll be my contribution. Just ordered some Eduard seat belts and other fiddly bits today.

AC2211.jpg

Just noticed that one of the upper surface wing-tips looks as if the plastic didn't get injected all the way to the end (is that possible?). So I'll need to fill that - otherwise it's a nice looking kit.

Some more pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a start on this. (No piccies yet, as I am "between cameras".) I have question, as the kit comes with a plethora of armaments and fuel tanks, namely:

75 gal. tank x 2

108 gal. tanks x 2

150 gal tanks x 2

200 gal flat belly tank x 1

1000 lb bomb x 4

500lb x 2

4.5 inch rocket launchers x 2

Can anyone tell what configuration is likely/realistic? I quite fancy the flat belly tank and the rocket launchers. Would bombs also be mounted on the wing pylons if I used the belly tank and launchers? If not, presumably the pylons would still be attached, but without ordnance.

Looking forward to your sage advice.

Hi, can anyone advise on the above question?

Got some WIP pix:

Some of the plastic. Note the flaky wing tip, which will need filling.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Started spraying of cockpit:

IMG_0063.jpg

Eduard's zoom set, with some primer:

IMG_0062.jpg

Some cockpit shots bar the IP, which I'll take a pic of soon.

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Blimey shows every cock-up when you zoom right in! Bit heavy on the old wash there.

Hey there Maxidad. I don't know what you are talking about when you say "every cock-up", the front office looks just fine to me, nice job.

When it comes to load out on the P-47, the 200 gallon ferry tank, a conformal tub-shaped jettisonable tank made of paper, was used as an interim measure between 30 July and 31 August 1943; so that's out of the picture for this build. The 215 gallon belly tank, a wide, flat steel tank that allowed performance-degrading wing pylons to be removed, was not used until February 1945.

If you're modeling a mud mover for D-Day then a typical load out would be:

One 108 gal or 150 gal tank on the center line or belly shackle

One 1,000 lb or 500 lb or 4.5 in HVAR rocket on each wing pylon.

Also, what happened to the upper wing on your kit is known as it being "short shot" and is quite unusual for a major manufacturer like Academy.

Hope this helps

Thanks KiwiSteve. I won't be using all the PE stuff, as the pit is already reasonably detailed.

Hey there Maxidad. I don't know what you are talking about when you say "every cock-up", the front office looks just fine to me, nice job.

Thanks, Darson. I posted those pics last night and was in a childish sulk ( :badmood: ) because although I had been pretty pleased with my work so far, I then came across Turnerdad's P39Q in the WIP thread. The cockpit is simply breathtaking - and I just got a sense that no matter how hard I'd try, I'd simply never achieve that perfection. :wall:

Feeling a bit better about it today. I have come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea to try to compare one's work too seriously with some of the "big boys" on this site.

Oh and the info about the P-47 payload is just excellent - thanks again.

The Academy P47's are very nice kits which in my experience go together rather well. Just watch the access panels for the gun bays. Mine needed a little sanding to fit and sit correctly but nothing major.

The short shot on the wingtip will be an easy cure. Just get the wing halves together and add milliput to the missing area, and sand back.

Cockpit is looking good. Will you be using Alclad for the NMF?

I have made a start on this. (No piccies yet, as I am "between cameras".) I have question, as the kit comes with a plethora of armaments and fuel tanks, namely:

75 gal. tank x 2

108 gal. tanks x 2

150 gal tanks x 2

200 gal flat belly tank x 1

1000 lb bomb x 4

500lb x 2

4.5 inch rocket launchers x 2

Can anyone tell what configuration is likely/realistic? I quite fancy the flat belly tank and the rocket launchers. Would bombs also be mounted on the wing pylons if I used the belly tank and launchers? If not, presumably the pylons would still be attached, but without ordnance.

Looking forward to your sage advice.

Check this out mate plenty info on here and if you have a question Lampie will have the answer http://p47.kitmaker.net/

The Academy P47's are very nice kits which in my experience go together rather well. Just watch the access panels for the gun bays. Mine needed a little sanding to fit and sit correctly but nothing major.

The short shot on the wingtip will be an easy cure. Just get the wing halves together and add milliput to the missing area, and sand back.

Cockpit is looking good. Will you be using Alclad for the NMF?

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I'll be attempting Alclad. Milliput is within easy reach when the time comes.

Looks fine to me :speak_cool: I wouldn't worry about close ups, they really do show up all kinds of things not generally seen otherwise!

I particulary like the dirty shading into the seat, really brings out the depth.

Thanks all.

Here are some more WIP pix:

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

I got a new camera with a whizzo zoom, but I think I'll ease off a bit. As Stebos suggests, they don't do you any favours.

Hey Maxi, I agree with everyone.

The office looks excellent. Don't sweat it.

Looking forward to seeing this beast finished.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update the thread. The build goes on, but slowly. No pics at the moment.

Wings and horizontal tail surfaces on. Small gaps at underside wing roots filled with milliput, and teeny gaps with Mr. Surfacer 500.

Will try and gloss for alclad soon, but I got a lotta work on at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

So here are a couple of pics, after a little filling and glossing with Alclad honey primer.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Alcladding later.

• 1 month later...

Curses - this ain't gonna be finished, due to work being hell at the moment (trying to keep my company solvent in these crap financial times we're experiencing!)

I may get a couple of photos up later, but I'll certainly miss the deadline. Any extensions??